“Great Hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Great location close to union square and shopping. Convenient to Walgreens liquor store public transit the cable cars etc hotel is clean good service and the hotel bar lounge very comfortable with kids and bonus free wifi in lounge area.
Would recommend it to all traveller.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Kit N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
DC
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I recently stayed at the Westin Market Street and the Hilton Financial District on two consecutive nights on a business trip to San Francisco. They were more alike than different, but the Hilton felt a little nicer.

I checked in around 6 pm and the place was busy. Just like my Hilton experience, there was a bit of a wait at the front desk, and just like my Hilton experience, there was not much to be gained by my Platinum Status (Diamond at Hilton). In both cases no upgrade, just a normal room, though at the Westin I was on a middle floor and not a very low floor.

The room itself felt older and more dated than the Hilton, hence my comments about "nicer." The bathroom was not quite a nice, or as clean. There was some mildew on the shower curtain. the furniture was beat up.

The location of the Westin was better- very close to BART and many restaurants and stores.

The gym was ok, larger than the hilton, and better equipped.

There is no lounge at the Westin, so the Hilton wins for having a lounge and at least a continental breakfast.

Overall, there are nicer choices nearby, so it just depends on the rate whether I would return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Barrington, Illinois
Reviewed October 7, 2012

From the time we pulled up, the friendliness of the staff was wonderful. Our check in went very smoothly on the busiest weekend of the year, concierge was very helpful, and the doormen couldn't be nicer or friendlier. Our room was very nice and loved the location.

Room Tip: Request a room higher up
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chrisrowe1
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I am a Starwood Preferred Guest & always choose a Westin if there is one in the area. I am extremely loyal to the hotel chain.

We stayed here August 2012 - got a great rate on expedia. Upon check in, we were told there is not a room available, however we "lucked out" and could get a "good room". When we got to the room, we realized we got "scammed". We were squished in the tiniest corner room I've ever laid eyes on. It was so small - the toilet & vanity were not even in the same room - the vanity with mirror was outside the bathroom so when I got up before my husband to get ready, I woke him by turning on the lights & hair dryer - there was no door. The only door was to the shower/toilet. We were also woken up countless times by street noise. (The room was on the 7th floor) It was literally the worst room ever.

The reason I gave this rating "average" vs poor was because the manager of the hotel redeemed it for us. When I called that morning at 8am to complain - he found us another room, and put us on a concierge night for our 2nd night there which was a normal sized room, normal sized bathroom and high enough on the floors that we were not awaken by street noise.

If given the choice - I would not stay here again which is sad because the location is excellent. You should also know that the only parking option is valet & it's $40 per day - which is really expensive.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AS520
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying at the Westin for one night this week. What a great hotel. The room was great and good size. The bar was a nice scene. I did not eat dinner there but it looked good. Great location with many places to see in the immediate area.

• Stayed October 2012
Leixlip, Ireland
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The Hotel is functional with very friendly staff. While the rooms are of a reasonable size the bathroom is very very small. Also, internet access in the rooms if expensive.

On the good side, the location was perfect for me as it was beside the convention center and a very short walking distance to Union Square

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Leon, Mexico
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Nice hotel, with an excellent location near Moscone Center, Market Street and Chinatown.
Unfortunately, not very appropriate for children
Boring breakfast, but I guess this is characteristic of all american hotels

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family