“good hotel in great location”

Park Central Hotel San Francisco
Ranked #60 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
san francisco
“good hotel in great location”
Reviewed November 5, 2007

I have stayed there twice now and have enjoyed both times. The rooms are standard Westing decor...modern and clean looking which some may find spartan. Its a great location particularly if you are doing things at Yerba Buena arts center or going to SFMOMA. Also convenient to shopping and public transportation. I ate at the Venetian restaurant Ducca at the hotel and it turned out to be great meal...would highly recommend for the food --its not a generic hotel restaurant.
They have a nice outside bar with a fire which would be great weather permitting.

The staff has for the most part been very accomodating. The only quibble I would have is the at the latest checkin the front desk made ia big deal about my arriving early and saying the room may not be available. etc. etc. For the life of me cant figure out why they say that without first checking on the room...which was indeed available.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank racb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (689)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
New Holland, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 31, 2007

I stayed at the Westin San Francisco Market Street for a couple of nights for a business trip. The rate was a little high, but they normally are in San Fran and the hotel was very nice and clean. The room was spacious and very comfortable. The staff was very friendly and I appreciated the doorman offering their limo service to the taxi I was about to take back to the airport. It was a much more comfortable ride for about the same price.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank issy221
Orpington, England
Reviewed October 30, 2007

My gf and I stayed here from 8/10 to 12/10 and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

As as been said before this is primarily a business hotel and so the room was therefore rather more functional than anything else. They were however a reasonable size and very clean. The internet access in our room wasn't working but we didn't realise this until our last day and so declined the hotel offer to move rooms.

The best thing about this hotel, certainly for us, was the location. It is situated a few blocks from Union Square with all the associated shopping and restaurants. The cable car line begins a 5 min walk away although its probably better to walk on to a later stop where you won't have to queue. If you want to get to Fishermans Wharf quicker than by cable car it was only just over $10 by cab.

I would recommend this hotel if you are only staying for a short while but for any longer I would choose one that is more tourist oriented.

• Liked — Location
2 Thank Sweeper
Cardiff
Reviewed October 26, 2007

Good clean hotel. Great lobby, but not matched by the functional room, which bizzarely had a fridge placed in the middle of the floor!

Great beds but the hotel was expensive for the quality of the room. Hotel internet was next to useless!

On the plus side it was a good base for seeing San Fran. Close to the main shopping area and public transport (including the trolley bus).

• Liked — Comfy Beds, cleanliness
Los Angeles
Reviewed October 23, 2007

I booked a stay at the West Market Street in SF on Oct. 13-14. It is a GREAT location. Very close to shopping, Union Square and Westfield Shopping Center and only a $10 cab ride to Fishermans Wharf, Pier 39, Ghiradelli Square ect. The BART system is extremely close. Paying a little more for this hotel is worth it because of the location and proximity to all of the tourist attractions. The hotel itself is sepctacular. There were a lot of people checking in so it took about 5-7 minute to check in but I find that normal for a busy hotel like this. It is better than having no guests and being empty in my opinion. It definately gives it a much more lively and upbeat feeling. The room was smaller than most of the hotels I've stayed at but very elegant. Simple decor yet stylish. The thing I look forward to the most is the Heavenly Bed and it was no exception. I always fall into a deep sleep. Overall I had no complaints. Express checkout was great cause of course, it was busy at the front desk. Consierage was very helpful and when I checked out I left my bags at the hotel for free in a room which was great. Stay at this hotel and you will not be disappointed.

Stayed October 2007
4 Thank Andrew K
Chicago
Reviewed October 18, 2007

In general, I enjoyed my stay at the Westin a lot. The room was extremely clean, and the very white duvet felt especially so. The beds were very comfortable. I always want fitted sheets because I roll around a lot, and although these were not fitted, they were tucked in well enough to stay in place through the night. My beef was that there is a typical thermostat in the room but it seemed that it is set with a very narrow range that the guest can change. I am ALWAYS cold, yet I could not turn down the thermostat enough to feel comfortably cool. I can't imagine how a hot blooded person would feel. Finally I turned it down 60 and still felt hot. This was in a 7th floor room. I don't know whether they're all like that. Other things that some prospective guests might be interested in: The sink is inside the bathroom, so one person cannot be showering while another is outside the bathroom using the sink. The windows go all the way to the floor, which is very nice, but some parents with young kids might be wary. The plusses were a helpful staff, good location and as I said earlier, very, very clean. Fancy, wide screen tv. Internet option was $9 a day, $15 for wireless.

• Stayed October 2007
4 Thank shasni
California
Reviewed October 15, 2007

We stayed at this hotel property this past weekend for one night in a Standard room category. We are Gold Starwood Preferred Guests and this hotel was not able to extend a late check-out nor was it able to upgrade our room category upon arrival. Although I understand that this hotel caters generally to business travelers, for leisure travelers, I would not pay more than $200 for a Standard Room, even during peak-times in San Francisco. We booked this room initially for over $300 per night but two days before arrival the rate lowered to $199, as went as low as $159 several hours before check-in. For business travelers that will have their expenses reimbursed, then I guess it would not matter what rate you are paying. When calling the hotel directly, it takes the hotel operator sometimes in excess of 10 rings to answer a call. I am not sure if this hotel offers its guests' Concierge services but I would be sure to inquire about it before making plans to stay here if you are going to require the assistance of a Concierge. We made no use of the fitness/spa or restaurant faculties so I will not comment on those aspects of the hotel.

For your information, valet parking at this hotel is $42 per night plus taxes. Hotel accommodation taxes is 14%. You can park your car across the street in a public parking garage or turn into the Four Seasons alley way and find the Jesse public parking garage where you will pay $20 max/ per day. Be advised that the Jesse parking garage closes at 10 or 11 and DOES NOT open until the next morning. Your car WILL BE stuck until the next morning so if you will be needing your car throughout the night, do not park here.

Check-in at this hotel is consistent with any other convention hotel. It was busy and the check-in staff did not honor their priority check-in line for Gold/Platinum Starwood Guest members.

The Standard Room we were given was on the lower floors of this 36 floor hotel and our view was of another rooftop's A/C unit. We were looking down the alley way of the Four Seasons where their guests bring their cars to valet park. It was really a small room. Generally I prefer to stay at hotels where rooms start out at 400-500 sq ft in the Standard Room category but this hotel's standard guest room was half that size. There was a king bed, a desk/chair, a dresser with a flat screen television, and a bath with shower/tub combination. It was not very well ventilated, even with the air conditioning set at 65 degrees throughout the entire during of the stay. The toiletries are of the Westin brand variety (not really good) and all the sheets and towels are available for sale and made exclusively for the Westin hotel chain. If you are a tall individual you may feel that your head may hit the ceilings as they are set really low. We left the DND sign on our door and housekeeping honored the sign so I can't comment on that aspect of the hotel's service. You have an option of whether you want your sheets changed daily or left alone for the entire duration of your stay.

We did order room service: three drinks, an entree and one order of an appetizer came up to around $80 dollars. A significant portion of our bill went to taxes, fees, and gratuities. The food was average but it did come up in half an hour.

The bell-desk is ALWAYS busy. The valet brought up our car in less than five minutes. We were left waiting for a housekeeping attendant to bring down something we left in our room, granted it was our fault, but it took 10-15 minutes from when we made the call for someone to be sent down. I thought it was an excessive amount of time but maybe it should be expected.

Check-out, like check-in took a fair amount of time of waiting as well even though there were 3 front desk agents and 3 guests in front of us. We waited probably 10-15 minutes to check-out. Again, they did not honor their priority check-in/out line for Gold/Platinum guests. The bill they sent up to our room before check-out was correct so there was no need to dispute anything about the bill.

The location is excellent and I it would be a fair assessment to say that this hotel is able to get the job done when all you need is a clean and comfortable place to stay while in San Francisco; however, if you want a more personable hotel, this is not the place to stay. And like I mentioned above, for leisure travelers do NOT pay more than $200 for a Standard Room, I assure you unless you are upgraded to a better room, you will regret it as the price is not consistent with the value that you may expect. I know I would have been mad had I paid $300 for this room.

5 Thank InstantNoodles