“Very Cool Hotel, very new!”

Hotel G San Francisco
Ranked #57 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
“Very Cool Hotel, very new!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel 3 months after it opened. There was no restaraunt, no gym and no shop. Despite this it's was a great place to stay. The decor is very cool and once the hotel is finished later this year it will be amazing. The location great too! Rooms are perfect! Very comfy! I would definitely stay here again!!

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Alex U

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights. The hotel is close to the BART station, cable car, shopping area, restaurants and Union Square. The hotel is under construction but room are well furnished. The rooms have a Nespresso machine. Good size room and clean. Free wifi in the hotel room. They charge $100 up front for incidentals. We wanted to have a late check out as our flight was late at night and when I asked the front desk how much they charge they advised it's half the price of the daily rate, I asked again if I checked out 1 or 2 hours late, they advised it's still the same price. It was just too costly for me. Valet parking is about $50.

1 Thank cyndisarah
Arlington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

Great location if you are attending a conference or otherwise want to be in Union Square. Clean, super quiet (we were on the 10th floor and not near the elevator). Staff is incredibly cheerful and helpful. David J, in particular really seems to enjoy helping guests enjoy the city with recommendations and assistance. Ana was also super kind. Everyone was, really.

This is not a luxury experience, but a fair price, given the location.

Beds,pillows, towels, shower, robes, all were terrific.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

I stayed at the Hotel G for one week and could not have been more disappointed. I wasn't expecting 4 stars at the heavily discounted price, but I was expecting toilet paper and cleanliness. When we walked into the hotel, I feared that googling to ensure the hotel wasn't a refurbished SRO gave me the wrong links as it smelled like a urinal. I've never been in an elevator that looked like they'd painted it gold to cover the blood stains and not just the fact that they are old, and original to the building. The most disappointing aspect was the level of cleanliness. I'm used to a variety of small hotels but I've never had to ask multiple times for toilet paper or purchase my own cleaning supplies because our bathroom wasn't cleaned despite asking multiple times. When I saw a cleaning person with a swiffer, I was much happier about my purchase. I'm all for reusing towels but four days in a row? Our bed was large, but incredibly lumpy and the lighting was just ridiculous. I cannot count the number of times that I had to listen to those ridiculous bath tub chains jangle against the glass. The molding in the room was crooked as well but one of the worst aspects of the hotel is the two inch gap at the bottom of the door. This ensured that I didn't get a decent nights sleep the whole week, as I was privy to every conversation in the hallway as if the people were standing next to me. The mirror was in the worst place possible for the room and we tried to recycle, but each day we returned to a growing pile of garbage and recycling which made it look as if we were hoarders. The only pro of this hotel was the location and the mini fridge, which we used for our snacks. I feel that the hotel was renovated quickly and cheaply, and unfortunately it shows.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank Britt T
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

This hotel advertised a soft opening and wow was it soft. The entrance was under some serious construction so we did not have a good first impression. There is a note that parking is available for $50 a night at the front of the hotel and more if you have what they class as a large car. The car isn’t even parked onsite so you have to hope that the parking spots on the busy street in front of the hotel are available for you to unload your stuff. The rooms are not well designed even though their website gives a totally different impression. The interior design idea is there but hasn’t been executed with functionality in mind. The doors between rooms were blocked by large lamps so you couldn’t commute easily through them and in my parents room the basin wasn’t in the bathroom but instead, was hanging out next to my parents bed in the bedroom. In our room, the tap handle fell off, there wasn’t any water pressure in the shower and the temperature control was non-existent- read hot or cold and no in-between. The price was steep for a soft opening at $220 AUD plus taxes a night. The staff seemed fresh and eager but were clearly inexperienced. My parents were charged twice and had to call three times over 12 days to have the matter sorted. The location is central and they have free WIFI otherwise I don’t recommend this hotel to anyone at this stage of construction, it’s got promise but was too raw when we stayed.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kim C
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2014

The downside of Hotel G is it is not yet 100% ready for the masses. The upside is the rooms are done and they are very good. The bed works and the place is very clean. The staff are very friendly and helpful . Don't expect concierge level service. .
The location is good , right off the union square and is central to getting around. Don't think about walking to the wharf area unless you plan to tackle one of those ridiculous hills.

Nespresso in the room makes up for a lot. Nothing better than real café in the morning.

At this time they offer a big discount on the rack rate because it is in renovation but that wont last as Union Square prices are high and boutique hotels seem to be the rave.

San Diego, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2014

Hotel G is a new hotel at Geary and Mason; very close to public transportation, shopping, theaters and numerous restaurants. It's a very easy walk from the Powell St BART station and there's a bus stop right across the street from the hotel. My husband and I stayed here for one night for the Paul McCartney concert at Candlestick Park and we could not have been happier with our room - the bed was wonderful! The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We also ran into Carolina Perdomo, the Human Resources Manager, when we were "snooping" on the 12th floor and she could not have been nicer in showing us around and telling us about the history of the building. They are working on a restaurant and gym for the hotel but not to worry - there are tons of restaurants around this area. Hotel G is a great place to stay!

Room Tip: Higher floors are better - ours was on the 7th floor and great.