“Had to experience it once.”
Review of Coi

Coi
Reserve with OpenTable
Coi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #954 of 5,826 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: French, Japanese, Healthy
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Cross street: Between Montgomery and Sansome
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We were seated in the outside corridor with bare wooden tables which was surprising for restaurant of this caliber. It was an 11 course set menu. The service and atmosphere is very quiet and understated.

The beets with mints had a great taste. Broccoli in olive oil was excellent with a tangy citrusy taste to it. In fact the citrusy flavor was felt in almost all the items of the dinner. The abalone seemed a little tough and difficult to cut and chew. Veal was excellent. The butter mild ginger sorbet was tough to swallow as I am not a fan of ginger and I just left it. The date cake was better without the spice/sesame. Finally the frozen chocolate. Someone else also mentioned it that they were surprised to find frozen chocolate at a place of this caliber.

The price does give you a sticker shock for the quality of food served and other restaurants of equal caliber. Over $450 for two and with no wine.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We booked this meal in November for our February trip, based on its presence on the San Pellegrino list. I will start with this: the service was good, and the food very nice. At first we were put at the front of the restaurant, which is rather bare, with no tablecloths and views out onto the (not nicest) street. We asked to be moved to the interior, more cozy, and more formal space, which better fit the occasion and expense! Service was attentive, although I found it strange that the servers rotated and each course was brought by someone different. The food was tasty, although the flavour combinations did not blow me away by any means. I would say that two or three of the eleven courses really stopped me in my tracks and made me say "wow". It was a helpful touch to be given the menu and wine pairings to take home. I think that for the $700 bill, I expected to be blown away, and I just wasn't. I won't be clamoring to come back here on my next trip.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We came here for their dessert tasting menu. Great service and great dessert. Of the dessert that we had today, my favorite was their white chocolate panna cotta with kiwi. Their desserts play with mainly the taste of sourness, sweetness and salt, while adding other interesting aroma like smokiness, citrus and varies of herbs. The pastry chef is very playful when it comes to flavor combination. The only thing that kept it from 5 star for me is the chocolate that they served at the end tasted like it had been in freezer for a long time. Freezer burnt chocolate is not exactly the way I imagine myself ending an experience in a Michelin 2-star restaurant. Still, I would come back again and I would recommend friends to go.

3  Thank MustLoveTruffle
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I came to COI on a wet, slow Tuesday evening in San Fran together with my son. We left three hours later having shared an exciting food experience together. The tasting menu served us consisted of five entre's, seven main's and five dessert's. Two different types of bread throughout the meal. We drank only sparkling water and finished the evening with respectively coffee and tea. The ingredients used in some servings had been on their way preparation wise for more than eight months before arriving on our plates. The service was superb and very cheerful without being intrusive, we enjoyed very much the two fine people looking after us throughout the evening. The ambiance was special and informal, I felt home and good at COI. The total cost came to USD 424,00 incl. tipping. It was a lovely evening which I will remember for the rest of my life. The food tastes challenged at times our perception of what's eatable - exactly one reason to why we came. The preparation of the food was spotless and the presentation impressive and often inspiring too. The walk home from COI to our hotel at Union Square through the dusty rain through the rather empty streets of San Fran I remember being wonderful - greatly due to an inspiring night out at COI. Thank you.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

The food was very good and if you dont eat alot of meat this is your place since they cater to vegetarians and even the standard menu only has meat in 3 of 12 dishes. For the price its not on the same level as comparables the Daniel, Per Se, or the French Laundry but its still worth a visit