“Slipping”
Review of Coi

Coi
Reserve with OpenTable
Coi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #968 of 5,775 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: French, Japanese, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Cross street: Between Montgomery and Sansome
Reviewed October 6, 2012

On four previous occasions we would have rated Coi the top restaurant in SF proper and equal to the French Laundry and Cyrus.
However, on this latest visit there were numerous misfires:
The pig's head course was just awful--two slices of soggy, almost pure animal fat.
The wine list has narrowed its American chardonnay choices down to only crisp-type offerings--eliminating other full-bodied and more oaky choices. The chassagne montrachet offered by the glass (for $22) was quite ordinary and lacking in character.
As is the annoying trend in SF restaurants these days, no bottled spring water is offered--just aa very bland purified tap water.
Service while punctual was impersonal. Dish descriptions were often rushed or mumbled.
the lady who queried us for menu questions at the outset gave misleading info on the pig's head dish (call it come form of charcutie) and wine (termed the Stony Hill as full bodied and oaky when it is known to be rather austere/astringent)
Many of the courses retained the chef's creative flair especially the popped sogham cauliflower and lamb, but at $165/person plus an automatic 18% (upon which they egregiously pile on sales tax) we certainly won't be back for some time.

There are newer reviews for Coi

Reviewed September 5, 2012

This place describes its cuisine as plant based, which is partially true because they also serve lamb, sea food and red meat. The salon is well decorated and the space is clean and relaxing. The selection of wines is good, not extraordinary though, and the advice from the sommelier is almost always accurate. However, based on my experience having good meals in different restaurants all over the world, I can say there are better places in San Francisco for half the price you pay at Coi. Why is that? Well, it is because when going to a restaurant awarded with two, or any, Michelin Stars you would expect to be astonished with every plate. This, unfortunately, is not the case. When trying the “entire menu” – eleven dishes for $105 – you will taste some good dishes, some very good combination of textures and flavors, but never anything mind-blowing. I wouldn’t say this place is not worth it, but it is simple OK, no more no less.

1  Thank GerardG899
Reviewed August 25, 2012

This is not an every day place to eat - the tasting menu is $160 and the flight of wines cost $105 - but for that we received 11 courses. Each course comprised about 3 mouthfuls, except for the lamb which was a whole chop. The waiters were efficient, friendly and knowledgeable and described each dish fully and perhaps a little too much. The accompanying wines were well chosen, unusual and did indeed compliment each dish.

So why wasn't it perfect? There are two dining areas, a lobby area with five or six tables, and the main dining room. When asked if we had a preference when we reconfirmed the table 48 hours beforehand, I said I didn't mind. I wish I had said the dining room - the lobby area was rather quiet and I felt like I was missing out! Also for me, the chairs were slightly too low. Small complaints after a lovely meal.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

After reading the negative reviews on this site I was dubious, but Coi more than delivered. This was my first Michelin rated experience, so maybe I'm a bit too easy to please, but I loved it. The food was unique, the wine pairings unexpectedly perfect and the pace, atmosphere and service top-notch. The music selection, like the wine pairings, was eclectic and fitted the meal surprisingly well.

My husband and I were celebrating our one year anniversary and we couldn't have asked for a better night. We had the best seat in the restaurant and received a complimentary glass of sparking wine.

The only two minor flaws was that our meal ended up about $50 more expensive than what we had thought, but maybe they raised their prices (?). And we both wished there had been one more meat course.

These are pretty minor details, and overall I don't think I could have asked for a better place to pop my Michelin star cherry.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

The chef definitely wants to wow you (and he does) with the use of unusual ingredients and creative presentations. However, he missed the point that what is important is the food. I felt that I was dancing with a beautiful woman that would not look me in the eye. Prepare your wallet for about a 250 pp charge.