“Authentic Italian”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of La Ciccia

La Ciccia
Reserve with OpenTable
La Ciccia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #170 of 5,642 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Noe Valley
Cross street: Church
Transit: MUNI: J Church Metro and Bus #24
Description: La Ciccia is a cozy and intimate restaurant located on the edge of Noe Valley. Husband and wife owners, Massimiliano Conti and Lorella Degan work together to take you to a culinary journey through the Italian island of Sardinia. The chef is committed to use the freshest and the most authentic ingredients from his native island, resulting in pungent, lively, flavorful food. The all Italian wine list,170 labels selection represent every Region with more than a quarter devote to Sardinia in order to pair the traditional earthy flavors as well seafood influence of Sardinia cuisine. La Ciccia is a tribute to Sardinia an experience not to be missed.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Authentic Italian”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

If you're in San Francisco and want authentic Italian food, make the trip to La Ciccia. (Make a reservation, to be safe). This is head & shoulders above anything supposedly Italian that you will eat in Little Italy. La Ciccia's owners emigrated to SF from Italy. First discovered this gem in 2007 and went back again in October 2012. Both times, a memorable experience. Great service, great food, great atmosphere.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank BHB_BB

Buffalo, New York
“Food Was Amazing”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We went to La Ciccia on our vacation to San Francisco in September. I had the Spaghetti with Spicy Oil and Bottarga which was amazing and my partner had the Lamb with cooked grape must which was incredible. The staff was very friendly and incredibly welcoming. We spoke to a another couple sitting at a table next to us and they said that they eat at the restaurant two nights a week. I would too if I lived in San Francisco.

My last name is Ciccia (which is not why I picked the restaurant), but I couldn't help but ask Lorella one of the owners, for a La Ciccia - t-shirt, which I now wear proudly. I will definitely return on my next trip.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank FrankfromBuffalo
Daly City, California
“Celebration”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

First time at La Ciccia with two other friends last night. We were curious about this place and were looking forward to this outing as it had been a delayed graduation celebration/gift since May (due to a prolonged illness of one of our party, who also is sensitive to spicy, salty food and was our host). We decided to follow our server's suggestion based on our likes, and what was on the menu that day, we had the following:
Organic Mix Greens Salad with Shrimp
Oven Roasted Monterrey Calamari drizzled with basil Oil
Fresh Spaghetti with spicy Oil and Bottarga
Oven roasted Sardinian Sea Bass
Roasted Prawns with Garlic and Onions

The food was amazing! Not at all what one thinks of a 'typical Italian' restaurant. All our dishes were prepared perfectly, and while the portions are not large, they are very flavorful and satisfying. the seafood had a clean taste and not fishy. We are always on the lookout for too much salt or heavy overpowering sauces and we did not experience that here!

We had a bottle of Proseco, which was very reasonable and much cheaper than ordering it by the glass.

We shared a dessert: Ricotta and Saffron Cake served with honey and Almonds, which was just the right tone as it was not overly sweet nor heavy.

Two of us ordered the house coffee (not like regular coffee, but an espresso with hot water), and it was delicious, flavorful not bitter. I was not affected by the caffeine as I am in other places.
I am planning my next outing to La Ciccia and cannot wait to see what is fresh on the menu. A winner for those who adore seafood!
Finally, the prices are not cheap (but also not overly expensive for SF prices, we averaged ~$68/person including taxes and tips), and the portions are not large, but the quality is excellent and you do not need to fill up on this kind of food as it is very satisfying.
The parking is street parking and very tight, so plan accordingly, as you will be competing with the residents for a slot to park. The J Church runs right in front if you want to take MUNI.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank TravelFanDalyCity
Massachusetts
“Not your typical Italian Restauran”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The food here was different--Sardinian and quite delicious. Enjoyed every bite from the special flat bread, a menu of olive oils to choose for your bread, through the sea urchin pasta and amazing lamb. Definitely worth finding since it's a bit out of the way. Wine list is extremely extensive; service wonderful.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank barweb11
San Francisco, California
“Sardinian food”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I cannot rave about the food as others on this and other websites have done. I found the baby octopus in a spicy tomato sauce and the squid were nothing special, as a matter of fact, a bit on the bland size, though the tomato sauce was hot. Our waiter knew his wines and he suggested an excellent white and red wine. My sea trout, though sweet and tasty, was a little on the raw side placed atop a bed of overcooked spicey cabbage and wilted broccoli flowers, with a dollop of chopped olives on top of fish. I have not had Sardinian food before and it might be that it is always a little bit hot and spicy? The waiter-recommended homemade ice creams and saffon ricotta cake were very nice. I must mention that if you like cream with your coffee, there is no such thing as cream, just low-fat milk. Very disappointing for someone who likes coffee tasting like a dessert to be minus the cream. BUT it was excellent hand-pressed coffee.

I think for the price of my dining experience, which was $70, I would not return. It is probably considered a neighborhood gem though, right at the end of the J Church streetcar line, which makes it a nice getaway from the civic center for a quiet dinner before going to the theatre??

By the way, pictures of food are not allowed nor is the use of cell phones, of which I am in full agreement.

• Visited August 2012