“Loved the outdoor deck, rooms and location”

Orchard Garden Hotel
Ranked #23 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 14, 2009

We were there for the weekend visiting our daughter, and it was a great time. The location for walking to restaurants and sights was perfect, and the rooftop deck was perfect for visiting with our daughter and her friends. We had the suite room since the price was right, and it was large, spacious and the bed was insanely comfortable. I can't say enough good things about our stay, and we felt good knowing it was all "green".

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 14, 2009

The room lived up to its name. The decor and space was fine. I requested an upgrade to an exterior room and it was great. No noise came into the room to disturb me. I have stayed in this area before and the Orchard Garden will be my choice again.
I felt the restaurant was a little overpriced and it appeared that breakfast was the busiest time. However there are other places to eat nearby.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 13, 2009

So nice to check in early after flying from DC! The cleanest bathroom I have ever seen.Quiet and comfy. Great location. Plenty of fun,sites,history,food and shopping w/in easy walking.

• Stayed: March 2009
1  Thank dimondsDc
Reviewed March 11, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a weekend in SF. I booked the hotel from their website which was a great value. Used some of the tips I had seen here about riding BART, and no hotel breakfast, good advice, as we were trying to have a weekend away that was not expensive. We had a very relaxing weekend. The rooms are great, beds very comfortable. We stayed on the inside and still had some street noise (says my hubby, the light sleeper) I heard no noises, so you need to judge based on your normal tolerance for noise. You are in the middle of a city for heavens sake! It was very easy to get around with public transportation, we also walked alot. The staff, including front desk, were very good to us. Don't miss the roof garden. Very nice place to sip a glass of wine, and view the city lights. Only drawback....I discovered the shopping area that is very close...and now want a trip with the girls. (not on the cheap! :)

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2009

Hotel itself is new & modern, I like the energy efficiency of it with the card key turning on the power, and the in-room recycling bins. Free wi-fi internet is excellent. Bathroom is roomy and enjoy the toiletries. The bed is extremely comfortable. Love the bath robes & slippers. Rooms facing the street will hear street noise so if you are a light sleeper like I am, don't choose street view. We were on 7th floor and can hear street traffic all day & all night even with double pane windows. If you like a decent size room, make sure you book superior room size and up. Breakfast: don't eat at the hotel, and try places like Lori's diner near Sutter & Powell. The bell person, valet & security were all friendly & helpful. However, beware of front desk staff. We requested room change due to street noise & were downgraded to a standard room facing the back (we booked superior room)! After much arguing on the phone with the front desk guy and being told that "your reservation was a standard room", "all rooms facing interior were standard room" & getting real upset, he finally said "I will have to speak with the reservation department", we were eventually upgraded to a junior suite. On the day of checkout, we requested to check out 30 min late, and were denied by the girl at front desk, citing "too many other guests want to check out late". My husband and I travel a lot and were never denied late check out before. Basically what the front desk staff put us through made the stay at this hotel unpleasant. The front desk staff is unprofessional and needs more training on customer service and better people skills.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2009

To cut it short, I'd better say what we disliked about this hotel:
1) the view from our window was on a courtyard instead of on the streets of san francisco. But I guess it was only misfortune.... ;P
2) you were not allowed to open the windows.

Apart from that, we simply loved this super-central, cosy, modern, comfortable, squeaky clean hotel!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mista-go
Reviewed February 20, 2009

I have mixed feelings about the Orchard Garden Hotel. My girlfriend and I stayed here in late January, 2009 for her birthday trip. We travel to San Francisco about 4-5 times a year for pleasure.
What we liked:
1) The location of this hotel is absolutely the best. Chinatown, is right outside the front door. Ferry Building Plaza and Union Square are both easy walks.
2) Plenty of good restaurants are less than a mile away.
3) Great accessibility. To get here from the San Francisco airport, just jump on the BART ($5.35), take it to Montgomery Station and walk up to the hotel.
4) The staff is extremely helpful. They upgraded us after I filed a complaint about my room.
5) Our first room (a Junior Suite), although a bit small, was fine with a nice comfortable bed.
What we didn't like:
1) We could hear way too much of what was going on in the next door room. We were awakened by the couple next door making love and then literally could hear their pillow talk afterwards. We were very surprised that such a nice new hotel wasn't designed to include adequate sound proofing. This problem was definitely a deal breaker for me and I complained to the front desk the next morning. They were extremely helpful and upgraded us to one of the top floor Terrace Suites which was great.
So as I said, I am torn. I really like this hotel. But unfortunately, I am hesitant about going back. My girlfriend, on the other hand, is willing to give them another chance. So, if you stay here, be sure to mention that you want a room that is quiet (especially in the middle of the night).

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple