“Great hotel”

Ranked #27 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
“Great hotel”
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Very clean. Friendly and helpful staff. Would definitely stay again. Close to union square for amazing shopping. Close to fisherman's wharf. At the gate to China town. Not a great place to eat but the mission district is a short cab ride and you can find incredible good pretty much anywhere in S.an Francisco

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. It sounds like you had a pretty adventurous time in San Francisco. With more restaurants per capita than any other city in the U.S., there are many cuisines to choose from. I really enjoy Southern Pacific Brewery in the Mission District, great food and beverages. If you did not get to try it, you have a reason to come visit us again. The Mission District is also very well known for the murals painted through out the neighborhood. Precita Eyes Muralists have done many of the paintings and host a fascinating and educational walking tour.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Hungarian first
Merritt Island, Florida
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We arrived at the hotel in the pouring rain and we were greeted with an umbrella by Phil. He took care of our bags while the helpful people at the front desk checked us in. We were shown to our room which was clean,bright and modern. All the staff we met were friendly.
If the standard of the hotel was excellent the location was just as good. It is situated close to Union Square and right around the corner from Chinatown. I would recommend this hotel and I know that we will stay here again when we next visit San Francisco.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the hotel are good for people watching
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Thank you so much for the stellar review. I am sorry to read that your visit to San Francisco included the rain. It sounds like you did not let it slow you down and you were still able to enjoy The City. Thank you for commending the staff and taking the time to acknowledge Phil. He is actually the newest Concierge on board and has been an excellent fit thus far. I cannot wait to share your review with him and the rest of the team. We all look forward to seeing you again, with a bit of luck, you will experience sunny California during your next trip out.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 12, 2014

The Orchard Garden Hotel is located in an excellent part of San Francisco. It is within walking distance to Union Square and the Financial District. The Chinatown Gate is located on the same block. There are also many great restaurants and shopping all around this area. The staff was very friendly and helpful, especially the bellman Alfonso. Since this was my first trip to the city, he offered me great restaurant advice and helped me out with tour information. This made my stay here feel more comfortable since I was traveling alone for business. The rooms were comfortable, clean and quiet. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Amy G
We are thrilled to read your stay was an enjoyable one. There is so much to do right outside our front doors. It sounds like you got to do so many different things, I hope you had enough time to do and see everything on your check list. Everyone here is passionate about San Francisco and we all enjoy sharing our favorite things to do with our guests. The Concierge Alfhonso has been with us for a short period and has become a real asset to our team. Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge him, I will make sure to share your kind words to him and the rest of the team.
Regards
Northern Virginia
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Recently stayed for business at this property. The rooms are nicely appointed, however, the work space is limited. Easy walking to plenty of shopping in the Union Square area, as well as restaurants, both on the less expensive side as well as upscale. Did feel as if in a safe part of town. The bar area is small but hospitable, and the restaurant is quite good. Ate both breakfast and dinner at this location. Staff is very accommodating and very helpful. Would recommend for either business travel or if you are staying in the city for a personal visit.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you so much for the very kind words. I look forward to sharing your review with the rest of the team. I am thrilled to read you enjoyed the room as well as the restaurant. I hope you had the opportunity to taste the local crispy salmon, it is delightful.
I too feel very safe in the neighborhood. My wife and I enjoy nightly brisk walks up through Nob Hill to Huntington Park and around Grace Cathedral. Every once in a while there is live music in the park, it is very enjoyable.
We hope to see you again soon. With any luck your next trip will be for leisure instead of business.
Kind regards
Merritt Island, Florida
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

Couldn't have asked for more from a city centre hotel - ten paces from China Town - opposite is a good Irish pub - hop on hop off bus stop across the road - French restaurant over the street.
Realy GREAT staff - super value- valet parking at $42 per day - nice rooms

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you for the great review; we truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the property and location. I enjoy the Irish Bank as well, for a warm shepherd’s pie and a cool beverage after work.
The hop on – hop off bus is an excellent way to tour the city. It is nice to be able to get off in the neighborhoods you would like to explore more thoroughly. I am glad to read you were able to take advantage of this feature during your San Francisco expedition.
Cheers,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 31, 2014

The hotel is nicely decorated and has a fresh, slightly hip, feel about it. The location is convenient, next to Chinatown, a few blocks to Union Square, and the area is pleasant to walk around with plenty of Chinese, Italian and French restaurants and (dodgy) antique dealers. Staff are friendly and efficient. Breakfast is very good. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Thank you so much for the very kind feedback, I enjoyed reading your comment and look forward to sharing it with the rest of the team. I too am fond of the location; I am pleased to read you took advantage of all the fun things to see and try nearby. With so many dining options within walking distance, I am glad you joined us for breakfast. As I am sure you know it is the most important meal of the day, especially before exploring The City. All of us here hope to see you again in the near future.
Cheers,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 30, 2014

A good hotel in one of the more pleasant, safer areas of downtown SF, close to Chinatown and the big brand boutiques on Grant Avenue. I stayed on two occasions and found very clean rooms with good size bathrooms. I especially liked the comfy beds, which ensured a good night's rest. I didn't need housekeeping, but they were very diligent in checking to see if the room needed to be serviced.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Thank you so much for the very kind review; we truly appreciate you sharing your experience. I am very pleased to read the hotel was to your liking and that you felt safe in the neighborhood. Thank you for commending our housekeeping team. Their work is meticulously thorough ensuring rooms are in tip top shape and I cannot wait to share your review with them. All of us here hope to see you again on your third visit to San Francisco.