“Great value, beautiful hotel, very friendly staff!”

Orchard Garden Hotel
Ranked #25 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this hotel! Great location, just outside Chinatown, a couple blocks from union square, I was never far away from anything. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends! I especially like their green initiative, reusable soap and shampoo bottles and recycle bins in every room. I was very happy with my stay here!

• Stayed: January 2014
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Thank you so much for the very kind review. I am very pleased to read you enjoyed your visit. It sounds like you got see many of the sites that San Francisco offers. I appreciate you pointing out some of your favorite “green” features. We try very hard to be an eco-friendly hotel and we are very excited to be renewing our LEED certification and Green Seal approval. Even with the extra criteria of new LEED checklist, we are confident of recertification and maybe even a higher level.
Thanks again for the positive feedback and for recommending us to your friends. All of us here look forward to your next visit.
Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,543)

Reviewed January 22, 2014

On the surface, there is a lot you should like here from reading all the other reviews, and the eco-friendly approach. However, it fails on several pet peeves:

Internet. Rather than just say “s----l----o----w” I did a speed test and got readings ranging from 0.26mbps to a high of 0.72 mbps. Most in the 0.4-0.5 range. Hard to do much more than text email at those speeds. Dial-up runs at 0.53 (nominally 0.56) so welcome to 1992. Allow several seconds for each page to load. This is on a new laptop, by the way, so the problem was not my equipment. Really misleading to imply there is high-speed internet. It's pretty much unusable. From the reviews, I’m not the only one with this problem.

Television. Nothing like a high def flat panel TVs with an analog signal. Worse yet, you can’t fix the aspect ratio so everything is a 4x3 image squished to a 16x9 ratio. Bad resolution and a funhouse mirror effect. Programs broadcast in high def come out letterboxed squished. Controller very slow. Reasonable channel selection, though.

Workspace. The desk is only 18” deep and half the reasonably wide space is taken up with phones, coffeepot, lamps, minibar stuff. No pull out workspaces like you find at Marriott and Hilton. Chair is not adjustable and a little short to work comfortably. Lamp is a weak 60w equivalent cfl that does not shine on the open workspace. Room lamp light bulb plug not working (yes key was in the activation switch). Working in the dark is eco-friendly I guess. Clearly designed by someone who maybe has never traveled on business.

Business Center. Two PCs running Windows XP and Office 2010. Shared b&w laser printer. Odd request on the monitor to use Firefox and not Explorer, yet there is an Explorer shortcut. No available usb port to print from a thumb drive...you have to crawl under the table on your hands and knees and find one in the dark on the back of the machine. "My computer" disabled on one machine so you can't really access your flash files anyway. However, there is a front-accessible 3.5 inch floppy drive! It's 1992 again!

OK-lets be fair. Some plusses. Craft beer in the mini-bar! Counter space in the bathroom. Recycle bins. Bed comfortable. Clean. Location is very convenient.

I generally find Tripadvisor to be spot-on. I don’t know how so many others had such a great impression given several glaring misses. There are several deal-breakers here. Fix them (none are hard to address) and this would be a good place.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We truly value your feedback; your input will help us improve our services. You might be happy to know we have already begun to remedy some of the pet peeves you mentioned above. As I previously mentioned our downloading speed was 1.5 megabytes per second. After speaking with our internet provider we have decided to increase the bandwidth and downloading speed to 3.0 megabytes per second.
Our next step is to do what we can to update our Business Center. Even though 1992 was a good year, it does not mean our equipment should reflect that era. We will do our best to get it up speed and more USB friendly.
I am also sorry to read the TV was strike. We were very excited to have our channel list recently updated. Clearly there is some room for improvement.
We will continue to address the other issues one step at a time, and hope to have them resolved before your next trip to San Francisco.
Kind regards,

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Back here a year later and had hoped that things would have improved. This hotel is clean, the rooms comfortable and the staff friendly; however the internet does not work well and the laundry service is poor.

Last year they promised that when I returned next time, these issues would be sorted.
Makes it an impossible place to stay for a business traveler.
To make matters worse, to be asked to call their internet support team to sort out my room connection is unacceptable. I will not be coming back.

Room Tip: get as close to the router as possible
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank copperbottom
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience, we truly value your feedback. I am very sorry that your visit was less than satisfactory and the wifi was not suitable for your needs. As promised, we did increase our bandwidth last year and improved our downloading speed to 1.5 megabytes per second. After sharing your review, our internet provider and us, have decided to augment the bandwidth again and boost the downloading speed to 3.0 megabytes per second. I believe this will be vast improvement.

Although I am very pleased to read the staff was friendly, I sincerely apologize you were asked to call technical support. From time to time a device cannot log into the network. The offsite IT department is able to manually input an IP address into the network; unfortunately we are unable to do this from the front desk.

I regret to read you will not be coming back. We do try to provide the best service possible. If you ever need a place to stay while in San Francisco you are always welcome here. Please feel free to contact me and I will be more than happy to personally take care of your reservation.

415-399-9807

Reviewed January 13, 2014

The location of Orchard Garden is perfect for discovering San Francisco. Close to everything, good bus lines nearby, within walking distance to Westfield shopping mall. Very nice and helpful staff, housekeeping perfect with perfect rooms, nice touch to be a "green hotel" indeed, and the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in! Can recommend Roxanne cafe two blocks up for breakfast, or even better - take the Hyde-cable car to Nook Café, which was a real pearl!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a quick mini-vacation and really liked it. The beds were very comfortable and it was very clean. I like how the key cards are used for turning on the room's lights and heating. It was quiet and the staff was helpful in telling us where the best parking was, although they do have valet service. I like how there were many good restaurants nearby and the theatres were within walking distance as well. Next time I visit SF I will definitely be staying here, although I think I'll take BART since there's no need for a car in this part of town.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kaitlin E
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2014

We are delighted to read you chose to stay with us for your mini-vacation in San Francisco. The key card system is also my favorite feature. Not only is it energy efficient but you never forget to grab your key on your way out the door.
Parking can be very challenging and quite expensive in the City. I normally try to deter guests from driving in or renting one. Like you mentioned with so much to see, do and eat with in walking distance, one does not really need a car.
Please visit us again soon the next time you decide to take a quick trip to San Francisco or if you are just in town to catch a show.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Great location, beautiful facility, calm and serene environment and excellent staff. The beds were wonderful and our room so quiet that we felt like we were the only people there. We loved the "Green" emphasis and that is indeed the philosophy of everyone who works there. Breakfast was wonderful and the perfect way to start our busy day exploring San Francisco. The staff members that we spoke with honestly love this hotel and appreciate the philosophy of the owners. That is rare.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor so if view is important the hotel has 10 stories plus a lovely roof deck.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for the amazing review and for commending us on our efforts as an eco-friendly property. Our owner Mrs. Huang had become passionate about clean
Environments and had devoted herself to creating an environmentally safe hotel. So she opened the Orchard Garden Hotel in 2006, the first LEED certified Hotel in California. Since then we have been Energy Star rated and with your help we are Carbon Neutral by planting a tree for every comment received, good or bad. Everyone here definitely supports the late Mrs. Huang credo, and we take pleasure in thinking of ways to be even “greener”.
I am very pleased to read you enjoyed other aspects the hotel as well. As Green Hotel we did not want any luxuries, such as comfort to be overlooked. I have stayed here overnight and had a better night sleep then I have had at home. The double paned windows truly helps keep the noise pollution out. They also help keep the natural daytime warmth in, so you do not have to crank the heater at night.
Breakfast is as they say the most important meal of the day and a necessity before exploring the City. Please visit us again the next time you choose to adventure San Francisco, you are always welcome here.
Regards

Reviewed January 7, 2014

The hotel is in a great location next to the gates of Chinatown and short distance to shopping areas surrounding Union Square. This is a very comfortable hotel with great friendly and helpful staff. Many good restaurants are within a short stroll. Our room was quiet and very comfortable beds. A lovely touch was the nightly turn down and chocolates. Made our family stay in San Francisco very special.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank SaviKat

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us for your San Francisco excursion. I am happy to hear all of you enjoyed your time here with us. I am extremely fortunate to work with such an enthusiastic team. At the front desk we truly take pleasure in sharing recommendations and pointing folks in the right direction. Our housekeeping team does a very thorough job ensuring rooms are in tip-top shape and turning down the rooms in the evening. I think the chocolate is a nice touch as well, then again who does not like chocolate.
We hope to see you and your family again soon.
Cheers,