“Great value, great location”

Orchard Garden Hotel
Ranked #23 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Orchard Garden Hotel the weekend of March 22. This was our third stay at the hotel. As always, our room was quiet, clean and comfortable, and the rate was great. The staff was very helpful and attentive. What we really like about this hotel is its location - just a couple of blocks from Union Square, Chinatown is right dow the street, the cable cars run up and down Powell which is the cross street, and there are lots of decent restaurants all around the hotel. This hotel doesn't have great views, free breakfast and free parking, but for San Fran it's a good deal. Hopefully in their next upgrade the hotel will replace their old tube TVs.

Room Tip: If you don't like street noise, ask for a room that faces away from the street. There's no...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Thank you so much for the kind review. However it sounds like you stayed at the Orchard Hotel, our sister property. I am one of the front office managers there as well; I look forward to sharing your review with the staff. I am also very pleased to announce we will be upgrading all the televisions with 37” LG TV’s April 1st of this year, which is just around the corner. We look forward to seeing you and your husband for your fourth, fifth and many many more stays to come.

Sincerely
Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,529)

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We went to SF for holidays. The hotel is located near the Union Square, what is very in the centre of SF with a good connection to public transportation. Chinatown is very close (a good and cheap place to eat and to buy nice gifts). Our room looked very nice and very new. - Especially the wooden furniture and the pastel green decoration. We had an extremely large bathroom and the huge bed was very comfortable. The garden at the top of the hotel is a real plus and of course we appreciate it very much to have the possibility to stay in a rather "green" hotel. Still we also have to give negative feedback in some points: Part of the staff at the front desk was quite unfriendly, the wardrobe was not clean and the lobby is not as welcoming as we would like it to be.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for the review, we truly appreciate your feedback. Although I’m very happy you enjoyed most of your stay, I am so sorry about the shortcomings you experienced as well. Unfriendly staff is unacceptable, we are here to happily assist our guests with questions, recommendations and any other requests. This will be reiterated to the staff to ensure quality customer service. I sincerely hope this experience does not deter you from visiting us again in the future; we would be delighted to have the opportunity to share the service we are capable of.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Even though we are local, we decided to stay in town after the Chinese New Year Parade. This hotel was great. Not only was it just steps from the entrance to Chinatown, the hotel was very clean and the staff was great. The rate was reasonable.

We were a little concerned about the hotel being green but it was not an issue at all. The room was very comfortable.

The view was not great but we did not expect to be.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank mrs.mikey
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Thank you for the very kind review, we truly enjoy hearing from our guests. It’s fun to have quick getaways even when they are in your own back yard. I’m glad you had a good time staying with us while partaking in the Chinese New Year Festivities. Hopefully we will see you again during your next mini vacation.

Regards

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed at the Orchard Garden last month, as business took me to San Francisco and there were literally no other hotel rooms available downtown between $75 and $450 per night; some huge conference was going on and there was NO hotel availability. So I "chose" this hotel out of necessity (as I really had no choice), but was pleasantly surprised during my stay.

The hotel is green, which I appreciate. Biodegradable bath product packaging (although the products themselves are still full of chemicals, boo), room key controlled lighting (very European), etc. The bathroom floor was heated (huge bonus in the morning) and the room was spacious enough. My view was of another close building, so that left a bit to be desired, and my room smelled of old lady perfume a little. I wasn't able to check out the rooftop garden but heard from a colleague that it's a great spot when the weather is nice.

This hotel probably isn't my first choice for future trips to SF, as it was farther from my office than I'd like and I have other favorite hotels in the city, but it's definitely doable and I would stay here again if need be.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent visit to San Francisco and our Hotel. I’m thrilled you were pleasantly surprised during your stay and truly appreciate your feedback. Although it seems you enjoyed a majority of your stay, I am sincerely sorry about the lingering smell of the perfume. All of us here at the Orchard Garden Hotel would love if you decided to stay with us again.

Thanks again

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was late booking a hotel for a convention. And just wanted to find something relatively close to the convention center. This is a small boutique hotel. The location is good close to union square and the convention center. I was there for three nights and I basically walked everywhere which is great. I have been to sf many times and a car in the city is a pain and very expensive. The hotel is very narrow and is located in the middle of the block. When I arrived the guy asked me all the typical questions ... Have you been to sf ... Yes. Have you stayed with us before ... No. So the room he he gave me was on the second floor facing an internal light well. It was a clean room but it had a terrible view of a mechanical shaft. And it was dark. I almost never ask to change rooms but I was going to be there for three nights and it was just depressing. So I called and asked to change rooms which they did no questions asked. I think they realized it was absolutely the worst room. I cannot figure why you would put a new customer who goes to sf and stick them in the worst room. Anyway the next room was fine. The room was not big but it was clean. It was a bit spartan when it came to furniture there was a bed a couple of nightstands and one desk chair. It would have been nice if there was an additional lounge type chair. There was a restaurant on the ground floor which I never frequented during my stay and I never really seemed to see anyone there. In fact I rarely saw any guests. I am a light sleeper and was surprised because I did not hear much of my neighbors. Don't know if there is good insulation or I just got lucky. I think the hotel is a good value, clean and conveniently located. The downside is the amenities are limited. But who goes to sf to eat at the hotel restaurant. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the street
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us at the Orchard Garden Hotel. I am very pleased you found the hotel to your liking. The location is extremely convenient and I agree there really is no need for a car in the city. I do apologize for the brief mishap upon your arrival. As I’m sure you know it is difficult ensure all the rooms have a view in downtown San Francisco, but I’m glad we were able remedy quickly. Thanks again and we look forward to your next visit.

Kind regards

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights re: federal court appearance. Great location. Next to the China Town 'entrance' within the financial district. Close to the metro and several good underplayed restaurants. Besides the friendly staff, the fact that this hotel is environmentally friendly was icing on the cake. I will be back.

Room Tip: A room facing the street will provide somewhat of a view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for the kind review, we really enjoy when guest shares our enthusiasm towards protecting Mother Earth. I am glad you enjoyed the location and the restaurants nearby, sometimes all the different options make choosing a cuisine challenging.

Thanks again,

Reviewed March 12, 2013

My husband I recently stayed here for five nights. We got in very late and there was no problem checking in. The rooms were very clean - I'm somewhat of a germophobe when it comes to staying in hotels. In addition to the daily room service, they do a turn down service in the evenings, which I thought was a nice touch! Great location, my husband and I walked everywhere from Fisherman's Wharf to the AT&T ball park, although we didn't get to see a game unfortunately! Extremely friendly staff, even informed us of the inaugural lighting of the Bay Bridge. Would definitely stay at this hotel again if we made another trip back to San Fran!