“Staff went the extra mile for us, deserves its high rating” 5 of 5 bubbles

Orchard Garden Hotel
Ranked #15 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Kent, England
“Staff went the extra mile for us, deserves its high rating”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

A well positioned, modern, welcoming hotel, with friendly staff who seem genuinely interested in helping us get the most from our stay, not just at the hotel, and San Francisco, but also recommending good places to visit during our tour of California. (Thank you Davis, for your list) We arrived at the hotel hours before check in time, but the staff quickly managed to make our room available without fuss, and promptly respond to a minor technical problem we'd created in our room.
We liked the eco-friendly ethos, the room was attractive, clean, comfortable. WIFI , complimentary drinks, toiletries all excellent. Loved the little roof top garden. Liked the organic options at breakfast, service attentive. Good choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank necstour
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you so much for the kind review. We are so grateful for your rewarding words. Davis says “hello and hopes you enjoyed the rest of your trip.”

I’m happy to see you enjoyed the hotel as much as the service. With the weather we’ve been having lately the rooftop has been a great place to hang out with a cool beverage.

We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Until then,
Quinn McEntee
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Went to check out at 6:30 am today, front desk person said 2 words to me (room number) during the entire checkout process. No good morning, how was your stay, etc. He just kept looking at some papers. I really don't care if he was my friend or not but at $380 a night - more than room number would have been nice. There was no one else there at 6:30 am so it was not like he was super busy.

Check in was slow. Major conference started on Sunday and there was only 1 person at the front desk. She was nice enough but poor planning on the part of management to have only 1 person at the front desk during an expected busy period.

Room was small but clean. Room didn't have any view. The mini fridge was not very cold and it was a little dirty.

One good thing I have to say is that the cleaning and maintenance staff were very friendly. Always had a smile on their faces even though they were doing some of the tougher jobs in the hotel. They always greeted me and I enjoyed talking with them.

They were the only reason why I gave this hotel an average rating.

Too bad their people who is supposed to be the faces of the hotel were not as nice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jethroau1
First of all thank you so much for taking the time for sharing your experience; we truly appreciate any and all feedback. I’m sorry to read that visit was less than satisfactory. I was upset to read about the experience you had during your check out. No matter what the rate is, the front desk is the face of the hotel and should engage all guests with kindness and courtesy. I went ahead and shared your review with all the staff and reiterated the importance of professionalism.

I personally apologize you felt the front desk was under staffed. As the manager that handles the schedule, I take full responsibility. This was not a choice I made; in fact I try to over staff during large conventions. Unfortunately due to a common cold and some other unforeseen incidents we were left in a bind. I’m thankful for the team members we had available, they all chipped to make sure we had coverage.

I was happy to read that the housekeeping and maintenance were able to have a positive effect on your stay. They are a huge part of the day to day operations and they’re a joy to work with.

All of us at the Orchard Garden Hotel hope you give us a second chance to “wow” you with the service we’re capable of.

Kind regards
Quinn McEntee
Front Office Manager
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

I was on a business / leisure trip last week of September 2012 and I stayed at this little hotel in the middle of downtown San Francisco (next to Chinatown). I was amazed at the location of the hotel being next door to Chinatown and just two blocks away from Union Square shopping district. The Concierge named "Ivan" and the front desk person named "Ruby" are so very friendly and helpful that they made us (me and my co-workers) feel at home. The service was phenomenal and the hotel was really so "Green" or eco-conscious. There are three kinds of trash cans in each room to separate the garbage from recyclables. The housekeeping department was the best that I have seen or experienced as I have traveled all over the world. Housekeeping was always cleaning up as I counted at least three times a day they come in and fix or clean the room and remove trash. The turn-down service was also done and I love the chocolates that are left on top of my pillows. Ruby and Ivan aided us in going around the city and what restaurants and places to visit. These two people also helped us read the maps and routes to places such as Little Italy, Lombard Street, Wesfield Shopping mall, Fisherman's Wharf, and even the Golden Gate Bridge. Ivan and Ruby went above and beyond their responsibilities to make our stay one of a kind. The other Concierge and front desk personnel were also good and courteous.

Room Tip: Higher floors are less noisy with the hotel situated downtown - there are always ambulances, police...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Kiel, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

Nice big room but connecting room - neighbours were clearly audible. No views from our room and almost no sunshine - so the room was really dark all day. Also the minibar was a mess with outdated drinks and snacks - two complaints did not really help. This is gross! Despite this, the hotel is nicely located. The rooftop view is awesome! Maybe I will give the hotel some day another try.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

Fantastic location. Minutes from Union Square, Chinatown and close to multiple forms of public transport. The room was bright and generous in size, especially the bathroom. Best of all the room was extremely quite and very comfortable. By far the best sleep in 4 weeks travel. Staff were friendly & helpfull, always smiling and welcoming. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

The hotel is located right next to china town and one block from union square. And it's a very quiet location too!

The staff are friendly, polite and very helpful.

Room
Average size and deco. Something yucky: I found a clump of light brown hair on the inside of a bath robe. Both of us have dark brown hair.

We initially wanted to have late check-out. It was stated in their website that late check-out is charged hourly. When we arrived, we were told that any late check-out after 2pm is charged half-day and after 4pm is a full-day room rate. The charge is totally acceptable though (eventhough the hourly charge is cheaper) but I wish they updated it on the website.

Thumbs up! This hotel is eco-friendly!

We only realised after we left that we forgot to visit the roof top garden! Oh well, a good reason to stay here again! :)

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Koenigstein, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

My daughter and I spent the most wonderful 10 days here in August. The location was perfect, the room was perfect, the staff was perfect. Special thanks to Thomas, Darren, and Chang Fen Lin, the best housekeeper ever. Our room was spotless! I can't believe that anyone dare complain about the roof garden! We would go up there as often as possible at the end of a long day, relax with a drink and watch the fog roll in. And it is beautifully planted with flowers! We couldn't have asked for anything better. This is not a luxurious 5star type of hotel. But it provides all that anyone could possibly need...the most comfy bed and duvets, spacious bathrooms, and a friendly, caring staff. And all with style. Oh, and I most almost forgot...they recycle!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family