“Nice hotel, with a good location in SF” 4 of 5 bubbles

Orchard Garden Hotel
Ranked #15 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Mayenne, France
“Nice hotel, with a good location in SF”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel goes without a surprise.
Outside it looks good, inside it's fine, rooms are not that large though it's convenient and well designed.
Staff is nice.
And it's really a great location in SF : close to Union Square and Chinatown.
I would simply not go for breakfast, not interesting. Especially considering every other places available around for breakfast or brunch, e.g. try Sears if you never did ;-)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Legolas53

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Syracuse
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were in town for a conference and spent five nights at the Orchard Garden Hotel. The location was perfect for me to walk to the Moscone Center during the day and explore Chinatown at night. We arrived late in the night ... with a missing reservation. No problem - the front desk staff cleared up the problem quickly and then directed us to some late night dining options that were vegan friendly.

Our room was stylish, clean and bright with plenty of closet and dresser space for two. We were on the eighth floor - not facing Bush St - and never had an issue with street noise of any kind. Wifi worked great - better than at the tech conference I attended. As others have mentioned the TV channel selection is limited with a surprising number of PBS stations - no matter as we were out of the room during most of the stay.

Though it was a bit windy and cool during our stay we did take advantage of the roof top garden for a late day BYOB cocktail or two. We'd be happy to stay here again on a return trip.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience with us at the Orchard Garden Hotel. I apologize for any confusion regarding your reservation. I’m glad that staff was able to remedy the problem quickly and point you in the direction of some late night cuisine.

We’re happy to read that you were able to enjoy some of the city as well as the hotel. The Hotel is in an ideal location and even though we’re not the tallest building in the area, the roof top is a great area for a peaceful beverage.

We all look forward to your next visit; hopefully it’s before your annual conference.

Kind regards,
Front Office manager
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

The staff at this hotel really did make out day, everyday. The rooms are basic but comfortable and include a minibar. Wifi is free- which is great as most of the five star places we've stayed charge extra. The restaurant is also excellent, delicious food and usually quiet because it's hidden. We chose to stay near union square as we heard the wharf was too touristy- I would suggest if you're in San Fran for business or shopping stay here, but if you want to do touristy things (Alcatraz, ride the bridge, aquarium) stay closer to the wharf. We walked there nearly every day, which was fine for us because we are fit and able and really enjoyed the walk through Chinatown. All in all this hotel is def worth the money

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Shanmelb
Thank you so much for your feedback, I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed the staff and the restaurant. I’ll make sure to share your comment with everyone here. I agree that the walk from the Hotel to the Wharf is great since you get to walk through Chinatown and North Beach. It’s quite the culinary experience from Chinese to Italian to classic SF seafood. All of us at the Orchard Garden Hotel look forward to your next visit.

Take Care,
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

This time, we had one night stopover at San Francisco and booked into this hotel again.
Even though our room faced the street, we still hade a very good night's sleep.
close to Chinatown, public transport and amenities.
We will stay here again on our next trip to San Francisco

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zach42
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words and loyalty. It’s amazing how much of a difference the double pane windows make even on the street side. We’re all looking forward to see you again.

Regards
St. Albert, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

I loved this hotel!
One of the most comfortable beds ever!
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
I dont know why people were complaining of no bathroom door...uh yes there is a door, yes its a sliding door but its still a door who cares!
TV wasnt best quality but I dont go on vacation to watch tv, yes I like to watch my tv shows if possible but I dont need high end....
Only compaints were that when you adjusted the thermostat after a few hours it went back to the previous temp...and I reailized a few days after we checked out that a bag of chocolates I had bought were missing...I know the last place I had them was at the hotel so I am wondering if a maid took them....so lock your stuff up!

Over all....great location, great staff, great bed, would love to stay again

Room Tip: Use priceline!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kirsty M
I enjoyed reading your review and look forward to sharing it with the rest of the team. I practically liked what you said about the bathroom door. When the hotel was being built we actually decided on sliding doors for extra floor space.

I’m sorry about the thermostat, I know it resets every time the key is removed from the energy saving card slot. I’m even sorrier about your chocolates. Please feel free to contact me to discuss, perhaps they’re in our lost and found department.

None the less we look forward to you visiting us again, hopefully sooner than later.

Best,
Keller, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

the hotel is very clean and quiet located next to the chinatown gate. The wi-fi was okay, it worked, but not fantastically fast. the toiletries were good smelling and of fair quality. The staff were polite and mostly just stayed out of the way. like other reviewers, the bathroom door was a bit of a miss in that it did not compartmentalize the stinky.. The beds were very comfy. If you do have a car, don't use the hotel parking, there is much cheaper parking garage right across the street on sutter/stockton. we did not eat at the hotel restaurant but it looked very small. there is a nice french cafe across the street that was pretty yummy. also a nice bagel shop called posh bagel within walking distance. lots of shopping nearby at union square. and chinatown, of course, is basically next door. there are public transit options nearby, either by bus or BART. the roof top garden was lame. it was more like a patio? i wouldn't bother.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank unefillechinois
Thank you so much for writing about your recent stay with us. I’m very happy you found our Hotel clean, quiet and centrally located. Parking can be very expensive in San Francisco; I usually dissuade guests from renting cars since the public transit is so vast. I am sorry you were disappointed with the roof top. Something I find very interesting about the roof top; the cracks between the tiles lead to a small reservoir, where we collect rain to water the plants during dry season.

Kind regards
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

This was a decent hotel, but for the amount of money we spent, I expected it to be much nicer. I'll detail the pros and cons of the hotel.

Pros:
1. The location is amazing! It's literally steps away from Chinatown and a 5-10 minute walk to Union Square. If you like to walk, Fisherman's Wharf is about 25-30 minutes away. During our entire stay in San Francisco, we walked everywhere and found this to be an excellent location.
2. Most of the staff is super friendly. They were always welcoming, chatting with us and smiling. They also made some good recommendations on restaurants and things to see in the area.
3. The room was much nicer than I expected. After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, I was apprehensive that the room would be the size of a shoebox! It wasn't. The bed was SO comfortable and the couch was a nice touch. The bathroom was also a decent size.
4. The hotel is so quiet! This is the main reason I picked this hotel, as I am a very light sleeper. I was happy to discover that it IS actually very quiet, and I slept so well during our 5 night stay!
5. I LOVE the eco-friendly theme. The recycling box in the room is wonderful- I wish all hotels did that!

The cons:
1. For the expensive price, I expect a bit more regarding the amenities. For example, there was no microwave in the room. There is a mini-fridge but it's filled with the mini bar items. Also breakfast is not included in the nightly rate. For over $300 a night (with the valet parking) I expect at least a small, basic breakfast.
2. The room was mostly clean (no bed bugs or anything like that) but there were 2 things that grossed me out. When we arrived, I pulled down the comforter on the bed and there was a long black hair in the bed (we both have light brown hair). Gross! Even more disgusting was when I pulled the plush robe out of the closet only to discover dried blood stains on the front of the robe! Needless to say I did not wear the robe for the rest of our stay...I didn't bother to bring up this issue because the housekeeping staff, although very friendly, do not speak any English.
3. I know that you probably won't be spending a lot of time in the room, but for the price of the hotel I expect the TV and Internet to be better. The Wi-fi signal was so weak the majority of the time I could not even connect to the internet from our room. The TV is an ancient model with terrible picture quality and they only offer 20 channels! If motels for $50 a night can offer HBO, why can't the Orchard Garden for $300 a night?
4. The staff, while extremely friendly, was unable to help me with one major inquiry. I called the front desk for assistance in booking the Hornblower Brunch Cruise and the girl at the front desk didn't know what the Hornblower Cruise was! Her lack of knowledge caused us to almost miss the only cruise during our whole trip that we could take. Another issue is that they don't offer any tourist brochures on San Francisco. Also, during check-out, the lady at the front desk asked me how our stay was and I said "it was okay, with a few major flaws". She said, "Oh". She gave me the impression that she really didn't care how our stay was.
5. On top of the astronomical price for the hotel room and the valet parking, the staff "forgot" to tell us during check-in that on top of the $40/day for the valet parking that there is another $6/day in taxes added on to that figure! How nice.

All in all, this hotel served its purpose of being a decent home base while in San Francisco. But next time I'm in San Francisco, I think I would want to spend a bit more money and stay in a nicer hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WorldTraveller422
I’m happy that you were able to enjoy most of your trip and thankful for pointing out some of your concerns. The best way to find out which areas need improvement is feedback from our guests. I would like to start by agreeing our location is excellent for sightseeing, shopping and dining. It’s nice to be able to return to a quiet and comfortable hotel after a day in the city.

I’m glad to read that you made it in time for the Horn Blower Cruise despite an unacquainted agent at the desk. The view of the city from the bay is one of my favorites. Due to lack of desk space in the lobby we store all of our brochures and hand them at request. After reading your comment, I’ve instructed our concierges to hand out small packets of brochures and information to all guests as they arrive.

Sometimes the wi-fi bandwidth can get stretched thin when the hotel is full and many people are online. When a guest notifies us we offer an ether-net cable, so our guests can plug-in and use the DSL. As far as the TV channels available goes, you bring up a valid point. The management team and ownership will happily research other options.

Fortunately we’ve never had bed bugs at our hotel. From what I understand they’re a real nightmare. I’ve forwarded your in-room concerns to our Director of Housekeeping. The things you came across are completely unacceptable. We guarantee to do a more thorough check of all in-room items to assure that never comes up again. Please know that you could have contacted anyone at the front desk, and we would have been happy to replace the sheets and a brand new robe.

I feel very lucky be part of an eco-friendly establishment and we’re always looking for ways to be more environmentally conscious. The divided receptacle box for recycling is probably one of the simplest features and also one of my favorites. We do try to differentiate our hotel from others by being the “greenest” in the city, but like all hotels our rates fluctuate throughout the year. Our rates and parking price are always comparable to other properties in the neighborhood.

Again I thank you for taking the time to point out areas in need of improvement. I’m confident our team can make the changes to provide customer satisfaction. All of us at the Orchard Garden Hotel hope that you give us a second chance to “wow” you.

Sincerely