“One of the best Ive stayed at in San Fran!”

Orchard Garden Hotel
Ranked #21 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
St. Albert, Canada
“One of the best Ive stayed at in San Fran!”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I loved this hotel!
One of the most comfortable beds ever!
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
I dont know why people were complaining of no bathroom door...uh yes there is a door, yes its a sliding door but its still a door who cares!
TV wasnt best quality but I dont go on vacation to watch tv, yes I like to watch my tv shows if possible but I dont need high end....
Only compaints were that when you adjusted the thermostat after a few hours it went back to the previous temp...and I reailized a few days after we checked out that a bag of chocolates I had bought were missing...I know the last place I had them was at the hotel so I am wondering if a maid took them....so lock your stuff up!

Over all....great location, great staff, great bed, would love to stay again

Room Tip: Use priceline!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kirsty M
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
I enjoyed reading your review and look forward to sharing it with the rest of the team. I practically liked what you said about the bathroom door. When the hotel was being built we actually decided on sliding doors for extra floor space.

I’m sorry about the thermostat, I know it resets every time the key is removed from the energy saving card slot. I’m even sorrier about your chocolates. Please feel free to contact me to discuss, perhaps they’re in our lost and found department.

None the less we look forward to you visiting us again, hopefully sooner than later.

Best,
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Hungarian first
Keller, Texas
Reviewed September 10, 2012

the hotel is very clean and quiet located next to the chinatown gate. The wi-fi was okay, it worked, but not fantastically fast. the toiletries were good smelling and of fair quality. The staff were polite and mostly just stayed out of the way. like other reviewers, the bathroom door was a bit of a miss in that it did not compartmentalize the stinky.. The beds were very comfy. If you do have a car, don't use the hotel parking, there is much cheaper parking garage right across the street on sutter/stockton. we did not eat at the hotel restaurant but it looked very small. there is a nice french cafe across the street that was pretty yummy. also a nice bagel shop called posh bagel within walking distance. lots of shopping nearby at union square. and chinatown, of course, is basically next door. there are public transit options nearby, either by bus or BART. the roof top garden was lame. it was more like a patio? i wouldn't bother.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank unefillechinois
Thank you so much for writing about your recent stay with us. I’m very happy you found our Hotel clean, quiet and centrally located. Parking can be very expensive in San Francisco; I usually dissuade guests from renting cars since the public transit is so vast. I am sorry you were disappointed with the roof top. Something I find very interesting about the roof top; the cracks between the tiles lead to a small reservoir, where we collect rain to water the plants during dry season.

Kind regards
Reviewed September 8, 2012

This was a decent hotel, but for the amount of money we spent, I expected it to be much nicer. I'll detail the pros and cons of the hotel.

Pros:
1. The location is amazing! It's literally steps away from Chinatown and a 5-10 minute walk to Union Square. If you like to walk, Fisherman's Wharf is about 25-30 minutes away. During our entire stay in San Francisco, we walked everywhere and found this to be an excellent location.
2. Most of the staff is super friendly. They were always welcoming, chatting with us and smiling. They also made some good recommendations on restaurants and things to see in the area.
3. The room was much nicer than I expected. After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, I was apprehensive that the room would be the size of a shoebox! It wasn't. The bed was SO comfortable and the couch was a nice touch. The bathroom was also a decent size.
4. The hotel is so quiet! This is the main reason I picked this hotel, as I am a very light sleeper. I was happy to discover that it IS actually very quiet, and I slept so well during our 5 night stay!
5. I LOVE the eco-friendly theme. The recycling box in the room is wonderful- I wish all hotels did that!

The cons:
1. For the expensive price, I expect a bit more regarding the amenities. For example, there was no microwave in the room. There is a mini-fridge but it's filled with the mini bar items. Also breakfast is not included in the nightly rate. For over $300 a night (with the valet parking) I expect at least a small, basic breakfast.
2. The room was mostly clean (no bed bugs or anything like that) but there were 2 things that grossed me out. When we arrived, I pulled down the comforter on the bed and there was a long black hair in the bed (we both have light brown hair). Gross! Even more disgusting was when I pulled the plush robe out of the closet only to discover dried blood stains on the front of the robe! Needless to say I did not wear the robe for the rest of our stay...I didn't bother to bring up this issue because the housekeeping staff, although very friendly, do not speak any English.
3. I know that you probably won't be spending a lot of time in the room, but for the price of the hotel I expect the TV and Internet to be better. The Wi-fi signal was so weak the majority of the time I could not even connect to the internet from our room. The TV is an ancient model with terrible picture quality and they only offer 20 channels! If motels for $50 a night can offer HBO, why can't the Orchard Garden for $300 a night?
4. The staff, while extremely friendly, was unable to help me with one major inquiry. I called the front desk for assistance in booking the Hornblower Brunch Cruise and the girl at the front desk didn't know what the Hornblower Cruise was! Her lack of knowledge caused us to almost miss the only cruise during our whole trip that we could take. Another issue is that they don't offer any tourist brochures on San Francisco. Also, during check-out, the lady at the front desk asked me how our stay was and I said "it was okay, with a few major flaws". She said, "Oh". She gave me the impression that she really didn't care how our stay was.
5. On top of the astronomical price for the hotel room and the valet parking, the staff "forgot" to tell us during check-in that on top of the $40/day for the valet parking that there is another $6/day in taxes added on to that figure! How nice.

All in all, this hotel served its purpose of being a decent home base while in San Francisco. But next time I'm in San Francisco, I think I would want to spend a bit more money and stay in a nicer hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WorldTraveller422
I’m happy that you were able to enjoy most of your trip and thankful for pointing out some of your concerns. The best way to find out which areas need improvement is feedback from our guests. I would like to start by agreeing our location is excellent for sightseeing, shopping and dining. It’s nice to be able to return to a quiet and comfortable hotel after a day in the city.

I’m glad to read that you made it in time for the Horn Blower Cruise despite an unacquainted agent at the desk. The view of the city from the bay is one of my favorites. Due to lack of desk space in the lobby we store all of our brochures and hand them at request. After reading your comment, I’ve instructed our concierges to hand out small packets of brochures and information to all guests as they arrive.

Sometimes the wi-fi bandwidth can get stretched thin when the hotel is full and many people are online. When a guest notifies us we offer an ether-net cable, so our guests can plug-in and use the DSL. As far as the TV channels available goes, you bring up a valid point. The management team and ownership will happily research other options.

Fortunately we’ve never had bed bugs at our hotel. From what I understand they’re a real nightmare. I’ve forwarded your in-room concerns to our Director of Housekeeping. The things you came across are completely unacceptable. We guarantee to do a more thorough check of all in-room items to assure that never comes up again. Please know that you could have contacted anyone at the front desk, and we would have been happy to replace the sheets and a brand new robe.

I feel very lucky be part of an eco-friendly establishment and we’re always looking for ways to be more environmentally conscious. The divided receptacle box for recycling is probably one of the simplest features and also one of my favorites. We do try to differentiate our hotel from others by being the “greenest” in the city, but like all hotels our rates fluctuate throughout the year. Our rates and parking price are always comparable to other properties in the neighborhood.

Again I thank you for taking the time to point out areas in need of improvement. I’m confident our team can make the changes to provide customer satisfaction. All of us at the Orchard Garden Hotel hope that you give us a second chance to “wow” you.

Sincerely
Seattle
Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights late August. The location was perfect, right next to Chinatown and major shopping around Union Square. The hop on hop off bus stop is just across the street. Plenty of good restaurants within a 2 block radius. Cable car, street car and BART stops all within a 4 block radius. Hotel price is a little steep but rooms are a premium in SF. Decent size clean rooms and friendly staff. Would definitely stay here again next time we are in town.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Firstly on behalf of our team I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We are really happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. In your review you mentioned many things that makes our location so great.

Next time you are in San Francisco we hope you choose to stay with us and we look forward to see you again

Kindest Regards
Thomas Loughlin
Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

I absolutely love this hotel! I only stayed for one night, but I found the staff to be very friendly, the room spotless, and the decor soothing. The turn-down service was a very nice touch. The room was small but efficient. This is my new go-to hotel in San Francisco.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind comments. It always very nice to hear what our guests have to say about us and the service we provide. I will be sure to pass these kind words on to the rest of the team. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in San Francisco.

Kindest regards
Thomas Loughlin
Front office manager
Medicine Hat, Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We spent 3 nights here in a junior suite. It was rather pricey but we enjoyed our stay. The junior suite was fairly small but large for San Francisco. The decor was lovely and modern - peaceful. I felt very peaceful here and not rushed. We didn't have to face throngs of people in the lobby like we did at the hotel we had just left on the wharf and, most importantly, Internet was complimentary, regardless of the number of devices.

The workout room was small but adequate. The business centre was nice, as we could print tickets for the ball game there.

I loved the location - right next to Chinatown gate. It seemed to be a 20 to 30 minute walk to Fishermans wharf and also, the opposite direction, to A T &T Park. There are nice shops close by - Niketown, Paul Frank, Lululemon, Benneton and much much more. Plus there are the cute little tourist shops too ($2.99 tshirts etc.). Just a block away is a 7 11 which was nice too- so you don't have to pay $3 for a soft drink in the room mini bar.

The roof top deck is lovely. The hotel is a classic older building. Very nice. Our room had two nice windows. The sofa bed was really uncomfortable for our 15 year old son. We would have preferred two beds but they weren't available.

The best part of this hotel were the staff - 2 in particular. I wish I knew their names. One was the front desk clerk. She was an oriental lady- very friendly and helpful. The other was the bellman. He worked the day shift and was great for calling cabs. Unfortunately he was a Giants fan (we were there to watch our Nationals come out on top ) but he was very helpful and pleasant. Those two employees elevated my experience from "okay" to "great".

Beware when you are booing this hotel. There is an Orchard Hotel two blocks away, also on Bush. We thought we had booked in there. Know which hotel you are booking - Orchard Hotel or Orchard Garden.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience with us. We’re happy to hear that you had an enjoyable and peaceful stay at our Hotel. I’m even more thrilled to read that a couple of our staff was able to make your stay great. I apologize for the confusion between the two properties, but glad you found the location ideal. The walk to the stadium is really nice along the waterfront. All of us at the Orchard Garden Hotel hope that you decide to stay with us again, and hopefully make Giants fans out you.

Kind regards
Dublin
Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

This is the place to stay in San Francisco if u enjoy clean, modern accomodation with friendly and helpful staff. Their environmentally friendly efforts are commendable and the roof top garden was the perfect oasis. Would definitely recommend it!!!

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you so much for the kind review. One of the nicest things to read is when someone refers to the hotel as a “gem”. I’m glad you appreciate our environmentally friendly efforts. As a LEED certified hotel we’re always thinking of new ways to be even greener. We can’t wait for you to return, hopefully sooner than later.

Sincerely