“Food worth overcoming tough parking”
Review of Nopa

Nopa
Reserve with OpenTable
Nopa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #83 of 5,922 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hayes
Reviewed August 12, 2014

I was told that "Nopa" stood for "No Parking". One person told me they spent a half an hour looking for parking in the area one night. We got lucky, found a spot after only a couple of minutes. I didn't see this on the website when I booked the reservation, but you can park in the DMV lot at night for $10. That's the deal!

We arrived more than an half hour before our reservation (having found parking so quickly only two blocks away). We went to the bar to order drinks and after I got the order in, our table was ready. Nice!

We started with two appetizers: the baked white beans and Hungarian chicken soup. Both were excellent. For entrees, we ordered the duck, the vegetarian tagine, and the pork chop. Again, everything was excellent. Both the duck and the pork chop were cooked properly to order. We also got an order of French fires to share which were devoured quickly, the basil aioli adding a yummy zing. The pork chop I had was one of the best I've ever had (possibly only bested by the Flying Pig in Oceanside).

The food is well seasoned, namely salted. If you are a very light salter, you might find it a bit heavy, but it was fine for all of us.

Service was excellent. Every worker, and I had some interaction with at least a half dozen, were smiling, friendly, and helpful.

My main tip is to make a reservation. There were many well-dressed 30-somethings eating at the bar because they couldn't get a table. And consider public transportation unless the DMV is available.

Though I didn't walk out thinking that the food was a quantum leap above anything else I've tried, I can't see how they could do better. Good ingredients, cooked properly, with clean, but complex, flavors. It's what fine dining should be. Even if one is not "wowwed" by the experience, every four-star or below restaurant now suffers by comparison. 5-stars. Hopefully I'll get another chance to go back.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Contemporary American food where dependence on vegetables and olive oil in cooking is apparent and tasty. Very good food and reasonable rates. The only negative point is the location which lacks enough parking space with no Valet service.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

Hipster trap serving mediocre food. Service was appalling. Just avoid - you can do so much better in SF.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

My husband and I heard about this place and just stopped by around 7:30pm on a Saturday night. They were booked until 9:30pm, so they put our name on a waiting list and took our phone number. We had drinks by the bar, then headed out to another bar to wait. We were called around 8:30pm and given a table early - very much appreciated! Everything was so delicious, I would be back here this weekend if I lived in SF. The avocado toast is to die for as well as the ice cream sandwich. I will dream about this meal for a long time! The prices weren't bad either for such a great meal. One of the highlights of our trip!

Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Had breakfast and was blown away. Old friends met and thiroughly enjoyed the food. Service was great, but the food... Oh my. Try the french toast. Or the goat cheese custard. How about the bloody marys with scotch or mescal. Wow! Can't wait to go back.