“Great experience again”

Colibri Mexican Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Colibri Mexican Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #78 of 5,693 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Union Square
Cross street: Mason & Taylor
Transit: #38 Geary Bus
Description: Colibri Mexican Bistro lies in the heart of San Francisco's bustling Theatre District, just a block west of Union Square. Spanish for "hummingbird," Colibri combines the simplicity of authentic family recipes with fresh, high-quality ingredients to bring diners unparalleled, delectable Mexican cuisine in a charming, turn of the century cantina setting. This warm and inviting eatery is reminiscent of Mexico City restaurants of the 1900's, decorated with classic Spanish paintings and accentuated by a vast collection of uniquely shaped and rare tequila bottles. Filled with energy, Colibri projects black and white 1940's Latino-film clips at the front of the house, while the open kitchen in back provides glimpses of its colorful cuisine in different stages of completions. Boosting a knowledgeable staff and attentive, sociable management, Colibri is dedicated to providing a memorable dining experience for both tourist and locals alike.
Sydney
“Great experience again”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I dined at Colibri last time I was in San Francisco so I was very eager to go back again when I returned. I made a booking a few weeks in advance to ensure we got a good table. I had raved about this restaurant to mother so I was very keen to bring her here. It did not disappoint. From the cocktails to the entrees to the desserts, everything tasted fantastic. We especially loved the lamb shank. It was divine. We don't get Mexican food like this in Australia. I can't wait to come back again when I am next in San Francisco.

• Visited December 2012

• Korean first
Vancouver, Washington
“Good food, disappointing service”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Dinner was very good (especially loved the guacamole) and service was friendly and engaging. The only downside was that food came out VERY slowly -- not sure if that was just because it was after 8 pm on a Saturday night, or if that's usual. Our server was nice, but I was frustrated to wait so long for each part of the meal (long wait after ordering drinks and before ordering entrees, long wait for dessert and coffee to arrive).

• Visited January 2013
New York
“Excellent Mexican food!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Colibri has the best tortillas ever. The food was really good, but the tortillas... Great margaritas with many choices of tequila. I hate going to a mexican restaurant and getting tex mex. Colibri is the real deal. I highly recommend!

Visited January 2013
Chicago
“Excellent Mexican--Not Texican-- Option”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Have seen this comment on other reviews, and this is a definite step up from what most tytpical mexican places offer. Good range of choices on the Menu; I had Cochinita Pibil and the Fish Ceviche. Ceviche was a little pricey, but you got a big bowl and it was perfectly made and very classic in the approach. The Pibil, an old standby, was well-made and attractively served. The margarita was very good and not from a premade bottle. I would definitely go back. The old movies are a little strange, and the background music wasn't necessarily Latin, but the vibe was good nonetheless.

• Visited January 2013
Derby, United Kingdom
“Worst meal all holiday”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Decided to eat at Colibri because it was just around the corner from our hotel, we love Mexican and it looked authentic and unfortunately we were very disappointed. It was the worst meal we had all holiday. The waitress was rude, the food tasted burnt and it was expensive! My husband and I both had Mole Poblano with Frijoles Negros, neither of which tasted nice. On the plus side, the beer was lovely as was the Guacamole, and my son enjoyed his meal!

• Visited July 2012