Open today: 11:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Interesting place

Reviewed June 8, 2019
lizSiouxFalls_SD
Tonopah, Nevada
Small museum, but worth a visit

Visited the Museum on a Sunday afternoon. Tickets cost $5 for adults. The museum is quite small (2... read more

Reviewed March 24, 2019
Americanllama

Recommended experiences in and around San Francisco
from $73.00
from $35.95
from $22.90
from $45.00
More Info
All reviews harvey milk human rights worth a visit on display castro area personal stories interesting place assassination gay hrc material centro admission campaign exhibits aids movement
Selected filters
Reviewed August 30, 2019

I spent time at this museum last week. As an out and proud gay Aussie guy, I found it an emotional experience. There were lots of displays that remind us of the importance of what's happened at the Castro and in other places to advance the rights of LGBTIQ+ people. The staff were welcoming and friendly and were happy to respond to questions and provide just that little bit extra explanation of things. A few days after I went there, I walked past and saw a group of Japanese school children on tour there. One was wiping tears from her eyes. It's museums like this that are such an important legacy by telling the story of where we've come from.

Date of experience: August 2019
3  Thank Bronte P
Reviewed July 5, 2019 via mobile

Just visited this important landmark in the Castro District. Stumbled across it - well worth a visit. Costs $5 per person. Covers key aspects of the LGBT issues that faced and still face this city. To my shame I hadn’t heard of Harvey Milk - I listened to his verbal Will on 18.11.78- a few days before he was shot on 27.11.78. He predicted he would be assassinated. His blood stained suit from the day is on display. The exhibition covers the leather scene, parades and cabaret - ethnic divides etc. Would be nice to see some imagery/costumes if the PRIDE FLIATS too. AIDS awareness. I feel like there should be a similar exhibition in Manchester.

Date of experience: July 2019
2  Thank nickfranklin100
Reviewed June 19, 2019

This small museum offers wonderful insights into special moments in history - starting with the name: GLBT history rather than LGBT history, now the more commonly accepted order. Docents provide insights during tours through excellent exhibits as well as personal experiences in San Francisco, where so much of this history occurred, and is still occurring.
Around the corner, the Human Rights Campaign is also interesting and educational, and Harvey's is a great place for lunch!

Date of experience: June 2019
2  Thank penuinlover
Reviewed June 8, 2019

I've never seen anything like this. I am glad I went. I would say it is worth a visit. The staff was friendly.

Date of experience: August 2018
1  Thank lizSiouxFalls_SD
Reviewed May 31, 2019

The GLBT Museum in the Castro is small, but offers a wide ranging display of material, photos, audio and video recordings, and more. I visited this museum as part of a sponsored promotion. I really did not think I would need to spend much time inside, but was I wrong.

The staff was welcoming at the entrance and appreciative of your visit. There was a special exhibit on Angela Davis and various other fascinating materials on display. Original copies of some documents and materials were on display. Audio and video recordings and an in-depth explanation in to gay history, significant players in the movement and struggles made along the way.

I did not anticipate spending this much time inside this small museum but there was so much to offer and educate oneself. This was a very good educational experience. Highly recommended.

Date of experience: June 2018