“pleasent surprise”

london
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“pleasent surprise”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Heard good things about Bar Tartine so headed over for brunch. Was disappointed when we looked at the menu as we were looking for more of a classic brunch but when our food and drinks arrived, those feelings went out the window, We shared the beet soup and the chicken with mushrooms and they were both outstanding - by far the best thing we have eaten in one week in San fran - lunch and dinner. Really fresh, really tasty - loved it. The bread and butter, made on site were fantastic, so fluffy on the inside -perfect for dipping in the soup and the crust was hard and crusty. Will be back for sure

• Visited June 2014

Ottawa, Canada
“Wonderful”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Make your reservation well in advance
A great culinary experience, the staff are very professional.
The food is full of flavour and portion are perfect for sharing.
The wine list is limited

Visited May 2014
Fresno, California
“Only Foodies Need Apply”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

When I heard the food was something that sounded eastern European, I went to the restaurant out of politeness. What a wonderful experience we had! First of all, the staff makes you feel genuinely welcome-that's important to me. Our wait staff was helpful, answering questions we had about the unusual ingredients, making recommendations that were inspired, and even knew what the restaurant grew in order to make the dish.There were 6 of us, so we shared all the dishes, which was really fun. Some recipes were immensely complicated, so I appreciated being offered them there because I knew I'd never make them at home. There's a fixed price menu, which I'd advise, but be sure to supplement it with a few things. The wait staff are happy to make recommendations that are restaurant favorites. The potatoes with black garlic shouldn't be missed. Even if you don't regularly eat bread, have a small piece or two of whatever bread they put in front of you. It's heaven on Earth. I would have stuffed the rest in my purse but darned if I didn't bring a cocktail purse. Just kidding--they make some of the bread there, but you can buy it at Tartine Bakery as well. Every course we had was brought in pottery bowls, very attractive and appropriate for the food. The wine our waiter Robert chose for us was absolutely perfect! It was by far the most wonderful and inspired food I've ever had.

• Visited May 2014
“Best meal of my life!!”
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

I have to admit, that based on the menu, I likely would NEVER have chosen to dine here. I can't pronounce or identify (fauna? Floral? Fowl?) most things on the menu. But friends selected it, so off we went. Amazing. The care that goes into preparing this food is mind boggling and the resulting flavors are mind blowing. Dishes are served family style in good sized portions, so you can taste lots of things. Go with the tasting menu and submit to a higher power. True foodies who love fresh original food will not be disappointed. My husband is a reforming carnivore. The chefs here consider meat "a garnish" -- bottom line: hubby can't stop raving. A true delight. Make reservations. Do not miss the potatoes with black garlic and the beef tartare bruschetta. Really, don't miss anything. Stupendous. And Robert is a fabulous server. Very knowledgeable, friendly, with a intelligent calm about him. And trust him on the wine... Enjoy!

PS: don't let the Mission District's "eclectic" reputation deter you. It's funkiness adds to the adventure.

2 Thank PismoLulu
Paris, France
“Amazingly Fresh & Original”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Wow - Bar Tartine is one of those restaurants that simply makes your day. Location is ideal. Service is efficient and food is delicious. A must stop when you are strolling down Valencia in the Mission. Here is a little taste of what I had - all delicious:
**Sprouted lentil croquettes with kefir and coriander
**Sprouted garbanzo bean and olive dip with rye
**Mushroom, farmer's cheese, fresh pea sprout tartine
with a deliciously fresh grapefruit carrot juice to top it off.
All these dishes are made to share, making it a great experience with friends.
I just want to go back!