“Groupon Special! all the Frenchness has been cooked out.”
Review of Rue Saint Jacques - CLOSED

Neighborhood: Nob Hill
Cross street: Taylor Street
Transit: Hyde St. cable car
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Walking in with a Groupon should not mean getting second-rate food, no? Well, it does. Instead of doing a full tasting menu, here you get a "Groupon Special", and by this I mean no compliment. Our deal was for "$45 for a French-Californian tasting menu for two (a $90 value)"; "tasting menus let diners sample as many as seven different items off the menu in one meal". It sounds like a great deal, right?

I'll say that an "amuse-bouche" is not a course, but is normally served just to ... tickle your taste-buds. The actual courses on the menu were two starters (risotto and escargots), an entree (fish, or meat for a supplement of 17$$!?!?!?!?!?) and a dessert (or cheese, for a supplement of 8$!?!?!).

The risotto was edible, but a far cry from what a risotto can and should be, its creaminess obtained by pouring cream in, rather than coaxing out the starch by lovingly mixing the rice and broth. Black truffles? yup. a hint of the black truffle butter from Costco?

Escargot and fish were ok. I cannot speak for the dessert as I foolishly went for the cheese.

Enough for the food. The restaurant is tiny, and has a charming atmosphere. We enjoyed speaking french, and discussing a bit with the staff. THere was a short delay in the service, so we had to wait for our table - had a drink at the (drafty) bar. O!O

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Staying in Nob Hill this was on our doorstep. Very pleasant meal. Exceptionally good wine. It says on the menu that they do nothing in a hurry - very true. Relaxing and chilled. Excellent.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

My husband and I went here during our honeymoon for a romantic dinner. It was much better than I expected. The bread was perfect.. crunchy crust and soft inside and full of flavor. The rosoto was the best part of the meal! Sadly I didn't get to try the scallops as I'm allergic but my husband says it was very good! Then he had the lamb and I had the filet mignon. With all the bursting flavors I expected something more flavorful with the filet but it was still very delicious! The creme brule was soooo good at the end too but I was so full I could barely finish it! We complimented our meal with a white wine. It was a slow night for them so for most of our meal we had the place to ourselves...which gave such a romantic feel! The decor was a little lacking in my opinion for such fancy food but it was charming. Great place for a romantic dinner!

1  Thank Danielle P
Reviewed May 12, 2012

My husband I enjoyed the tasting menu here on May 4th. The atmosphere was very pleasant. The food was excellent except the Berkshire pork chop was a little salty for my taste but this wouldn't keep me from going again.

Reviewed April 29, 2012

I had a very bad experience at this restaurant for which I purchased a dinner certificate from Bloomspot. The restaurant was Rue Saint Jacques in San Francisco.

When my girfriend and I got to the restaurant, we were asked if we had a Bloomspot certificate, which we indicated we did. The waiter then came with a "Bloomspot Menu" that ony had a salmon and pork dish on it. He then asked to see the certificate, which I had printed out, per the instructions on on the order confirmation. He indicated that was not sufficient and asked if I could access my account via my smart phone in order to get some other code. I obliged, but found nothing further. He insisted he could not serve us without the additional code, at which time we left the restaurant.

There was an additional problem in that there was nothing on the certificate or in the offer that relegated us to only be able to order certain menu items, much less a special menu. The certificate indicated it was for $25 for $50 of dinner. I have used Living Social and Groupon certificates in the past and never experienced this substandard treatment.

I'm not 100% sure who was the chessiest in this scenario, Bloomspot or the restaurant. My suspicion is the restaurant used this ploy to lure people in for a second class menu in order to move less popular, or cheaper items.

3  Thank WalterMZ