“trendy place with great food”
Review of Range - CLOSED

Range
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Mission District
Cross street: 19th St & 20th St.
Transit: Muni #14, #26, BART: 16th and 24th stops
WashingtonDC
“trendy place with great food”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My family and I went to Range  based on a recommendation by one of our friends who lives in San Francisco, and we definitely were pleased with our food and the overall experience of dining here! We ate in the second room right in front of the open kitchen, and it was actually a quiet alcove even though it's situated along the main corridor. We stated off with drinks, and Range had a good selection of specialty cocktails. They were inventive, though tended mainly towards gin and vermouth (not my favorite). The drinks we did have were good.

But, of course, the food was the standout here.  With four people, we were basically able to try most of the menu.  (However, the menu is rather limited.) The chicken liver was a huge portion, and didn't come with enough crostini. The appetizers in general were solid, but the entrees were the best part of the meal.  I had the corn fritters, which were unique and very filling. My partner had the duck breast, and he said it was the best duck he had ever had.  He's not a duck expert or anything, but that's still high praise. My aunt really enjoyed her flank steak, but I personally don't really order steaks in a non-steakhouse.

Overall, I would definitely recommend dining at Range. Our server was attentive (though it's always a different experience based on who you get) and the food was tasty and well-executed. We peeked into the kitchen as we were leaving and noticed how well-run and clean it seemed. Plus, there are plenty of bars around to head to after dinner.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank jg325

The Hague, The Netherlands
“Better than good!”
Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Had drinks and dinner here with a friend. Not only did they serve great cocktails and beers (exotic) the staff took every effort to advice and explain. When we indicated we wanted to eat but not wait for over an hour they accomodatec us too. Menu was simple but varied and offered every combination you could wish for. Including wines. Wow. I'll be back. Soon (i hope).

Battle Ground, Washington
“1st time at this restaurant”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We enjoyed the food very much. Each of us had something different, from the steak, to duck, to corn fritters. All were tasty and served in eye appealing manners. Our taste buds very happy and although we were satisfied, we were not stuffed. The new chef and staff did a fab job. Service was excellent. We will go again. Reservations heavily suggested.

• Visited September 2012
San Francisco
“Delicious”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I came here and went all out with cocktails, appetizer, entree, dessert, and coffee. It is a wonderful date spot with great food and service in a fun neighborhood. Not a budget meal.

Visited July 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“fussy foodie loved it”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

The service was excellent -we were well advised on cocktails (very good), wine (fab!) and food choices (wonderful) by our server. Can I complain about something? Yes, it's a bit loud or "energetic" as some say.

• Visited August 2012