“Surprisingly Good”

Transit: BART: 16th Street
San Francisco
“Surprisingly Good”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

With so many great restaurants to choose from, Maverick often gets overlooked relative to some restaurants that build a lot of hype. I had a meal here recently with friends and we found each and every dish excellent with some real standouts. The cured duck breast was divine and unusual with its bright notes of bergamot. The octopus salad also was super - the octopus was tender and the accompanying veggies nicely balanced. The squid ink breadsticks unusual and also surprising. The restaurant is small, service very good, and the only critique I might have is that there is literally no decor. A few pieces of art on the walls would make a big difference. Although I must admit that the intimacy of the space and the great food meant we really didn't notice once our wine arrived.

• Visited March 2013

Mill Valley, California
“Creative combinations for adventurous dining.”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We really enjoyed this restaurant, especially the unique ingredients in our meal. I don't usually write our food choices in reviews, but it speaks to the originality of this kitchen; Gruyere Gougeres, Hay Smoked Beet Soup & Baby Beet Salad (truffled goat cheese, jicama, fennel, tarragon, beet meringue), Roasted Quail (yellowfoot mushrooms, turnips cooked in buttermilk whey, Douglas fir (infused oil), pine nut liver mousse, red watercress salad), Beef Shortrib (Matsutake mushrooms, parsnip, chestnut, broccoli rabe, black trumpet streusel), Blue Nose Bass & Lobster Fritter (almond saffron picada, smoked paprika, celery root, piquillo pepper aioli, celery and sea bean salad), Winter Wonderland (chocolate caramel cremeaux, malted milk sorbet, cookie branch, chocolate twigs, powdered Nutella), and Buttermilk Panna Cotta (fresh huckleberries, walnut streusel, huckleberry lemonade foam) desserts. There were very slight missteps that kept this restaurant from being 5-star, but they corrected each graciously. The service was great- everyone was friendly, fun and helpful. Looking forward to eating here again!

• Visited January 2013
Portland, OR
“This little spot packs a punch! Delish!”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This little spot in the thick of the Mission has amazing food, delightful staff and great atmosphere. I met friends there for a weekend brunch. We were delighted with our food - I had the fried chicken sandwich and honestly, don't remember what everyone else ate (except for bites of MY food). My plate had a height of the season sliced heirloom tomato - swoon! The waitstaff were superb, helping to pick out the perfect sparking wine with a tasting at our table. Our bill totaled $45 per person, including two drinks each.

• Visited October 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Small and intimate”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We walked past this restaurant every day from where we were staying to the BART station that got us into town – and every day, we would say to ourselves: “we must eat there before we leave”. It actually wasn’t until the night before we left that we actually went!

Maverick is a really small and intimate restaurant that prides itself on its extensive wine list. Michael, the owner of the restaurant, is on the floor every night explaining the properties of different wines to patrons, and he really knows his stuff. I recommend dining there on a Tuesday if you can – you get 50% off all bottled wines then, which really just meant that instead of going for the $30 bottle like we normally would, we went for the $60 bottle for $30. The menu changes regularly as well depending on what’s in season and available on any particular day at the markets – when we were there, they actually changed the menu halfway through the night because they sold out of a particular dish.

I ended up ordering Baltimore crab fluffs for an entree, the tagliatelle for a main, and I had the pecan pie for dessert. The desserts in particular are quite excellent, so if you’re on a budget I would recommend eating elsewhere for dinner, and coming to Maverick for dessert and wine to finish off an evening. Pricing is quite reasonable though – I think we ended up paying around $60 to $70 per person for a three course dinner with a cocktail each and a bottle of wine to share.

Read more at Gourmanda: http://gourmanda.me/2011/11/24/top-picks-for-awesome-restaurants/

• Visited October 2011
Sidney, Maine
“Wonderful Meal”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We had a great meal at Maverick. We had a party of 6, and when we arrived our table wasn't ready so they promised us a free bottle of wine. We went and had a drink elsewhere and then returned -- they were very apologetic and our free bottle of wine ($40 price cap) arrived and we were very happy. My husband had the lobster bread pudding which was fantastic and I had their mushroom pasta, which was also wonderful. I would recommend this place for sure, just be sure to make reservations as it is a small place.

Visited September 2012