“Great ambience, just not for me”
Review of Maverick - CLOSED

Neighborhood: Mission District
Cross street: Mission Street
Transit: BART: 16th Street
Queenstown, New Zealand
“Great ambience, just not for me”
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Loved the decor, the ambience, the unique menu style. Service was great, and the presentation of the food was lovely. Its a very sociable plate to eat with friends. Unfortunately my palette is not suited to the flavours on the menu. Needless to say the rest of our party loved it, but I found some of the flavours within the dishes incongruous and too strong for my liking.
Pickled, vinegary flavours through green veg and a lemony flavour in corn grits just did not appeal.

New York City
“Fun small foodie gem”
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Took our family - boys ages 6 and 11 to restaurant. Food and service were exceptional. Waiter was excellent and very knowledgeable on wine pairings. Loved the heirloom tomato salad and the foie gras. Fried chicken was great.

• Visited August 2011
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Delicious, fun, great service, we will be back!”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Our son and daughter-in-law live in the neighborhood and took us to dinner here. It's one of their favourite spots and now we know why. From the service, wine list to food everything was terrific. I split the Heirloom Tomatoes appetizer with our daughter-in-law and they were the best tomatoes and dish I've had in a long time. For a main we also split the fried chicken which was yummy and something I rarely eat but will remember! My husband and son had the halibut which was a wee bit dry but very good. Wine was delish too! Waitress was awesome, service excellent, decor terrific, ambiance = great. We will return as we hear the brunch is excellent!

1 Thank Suze215
Seattle, Washington
“One of my favorites in San Francisco”
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I used to live in the city, and I always visit Maverick when I am back down for a visit. This still remains one of my favorite restaurants. On my most recent visit, I had the flat iron steak, sampled the pork "presse" and of course, the fried chicken. Never disappointed! Service is always excellent, but if you like a quiet space, this is not the destination--the small rooms and intimacy make for a lively volume. Monday night is usually 40% off any bottle of wine, so go big! Can't wait to come back.

1 Thank blhappypets
San Francisco, California
“Lively little gem in the Mission”
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We took mom here when she was visiting SF. Two of three of us ordered the friend chicken. It was moist on the inside and crispy on the outside. Perhaps my favorite fried chicken in SF. It was a Saturday night, but we had no problem booking a table for the 3 earlier that afternoon. The place was packed with a couple groups (tables were no more than 4) celebrating special occasions so at times it was loud enough that we couldn't hear each other. This was a surprise, because we had been there several times before and it was not like that. Overall, Maverick is a fun place serving interesting takes on American staples. Staff are attentive and know their menu well.