“A restaurant worth traveling to eat at”
Review of Sauce

Sauce
Reserve with OpenTable
Sauce is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #623 of 5,839 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Hayes Valley
Cross street: Oak and Page
Transit: BART: Civic Center station; Muni Metro: Van Ness; Muni Market Street Trolley 'F' Line: Gough St.; Muni Bus Stop: 6,7,66,71
Description: At Sauce: Gough we serve what we like to call "Social Cuisine" - American comfort fare so good you'll want everyone at the table to try a bite. It's shared food without the tiny plates. Come sample Chef Ben's creations along with some drinks in the intimate Supper Club; cozy up to the beautiful redwood bar for a signature cocktail; or, enjoy a meal in the bustling main dining room. Experience what happens when Comfort Food meets California Cuisine — it could be our Tomato Bisque with white truffle grilled cheese sticks; Portobello mushroom fries; or our signature applewood-smoked-bacon wrapped meatloaf, something is sure to tickle your fancy. Located just a few blocks from the civic center in Hayes Valley, Sauce: Gough is the welcoming result of three partners' desire to create a comfortable spot for drinking and dining. Pre-Show, post-show and for all your private events Sauce is the place. Stop by for dinner any night between 5pm and Midnight and see for yourself; what’s cooking
Reviewed December 2, 2011

We were staying near Fisherman's Wharf and received a suggestion to eat at Sauce. A cable car and Muni Metro were used to arrive at Sauce, and it was worth the travel time. We enjoyed the experience and the ambiance. The dessert sampler is HUGE. Could have been a meal in itself. Thanks for a great evening.

Reviewed October 2, 2011

Visited Sauce last night 10/01/2011. There were some good parts and some very disappointing parts of the evening meal. The mac’n and cheese, beef sliders, beet salad and the main courses of beef short ribs and the fried chicken were good, served hot and plated nicely.
Unfortunately, we had an inept waiter. When bringing the Pisco cocktail, he proceeded to spill it down the back of one of our guests and over her sweater placed on the back of the chair. He seemed to be in such a rush as when he was pouring the wine he continued to spill it on the tablecloth rather than in the wine glass. I asked our waiter to leave off the kalamata olives on just ONE sweet gem steak lettuce wrap and when they arrived, all eight of the wraps (2 orders) were without olives, feta, etc. and so bland tasting that I wish we had not bother ordering them. He did not listen to me. Also the portobella mushroom fries were not hot, the crab won tons were very fishy tasting, the tater tots fair, the chorizo and calamari okay (there was only a few calamari bits). Not once did our waiter ask us if everything was alright (or any of the other wait staff) nor could we find him.
One other problem was we were seated in the back room which was nice except we were by an open window where the garbage cans are located. Gnats or small bugs kept flying in and it was distracting trying to eat with them walking on the table cloth (smashing them) or flying around us.
As a group of 8, a mandatory 18% was charged for tip. Our waiter was never to be found and I resented this charge. All 8 of us are native San Franciscans - we will not return nor recommend this restaurant as San Francisco has a plethora of excellent eating establishments to visit and enjoy.

1  Thank Rinette
Reviewed September 4, 2011

I was staying at the attached inn, so visited Sauce twice for evening meals.

I found the service to be wonderfully attentive, with well-informed waiting staff.

The food itself tasted fresh and was well cooked, albeit a tad salty for my palette.

The bar service was also superb, with nice wines and beers.

Reviewed August 23, 2011

A group of us went to Sauce prior to going to Davies Synphony Hall in San Francisco which is three blocks away. This is a perfect pre-show restaurant since it is near the Civic Center and there is plenty of street parking. We had a drink at the bar prior to dinner and my only suggestion would be to get a couple of more choices of house wines for the bar.
The main courses were excellent. I would recommend:

1. Braised Boneless Beef Short Rib "Pot Roast;"
2. Parma Prosciutto Wrapped Hawaiian Butterfish;
3. Red & Yellow Beet salad; and
4. Figs

Stay away from the Carpaccio! The presentation is excellent but I received about thirty percent of what I am accustomed to.

Finally, the servers are ok. We had one with the initials “N.Q” or perhaps “N.O.” She was diligent but always abruptly approached our table and interrupted us rather than wait to be noticed. Frankly was a real turn off because at these prices I want a seasoned waiter but it will not prevent me from returning.

Reviewed April 9, 2011

Sauce was recommended to us by a client in upstate New York. Since we support local businesses we decided to check it out. It was a great find. I don't know San Francisco well but it appears to be near the Civic Center and Theatres and would be a good choice for a dinner before a show or desert after. The menu had lots of vegetarian choices, as well as regular and the meals were well presented. Service was fast.

I would go back there again if my travels take me that way.