“A nice local restaurant in the middle of San Francisco”
Review of Sauce

Sauce
Reserve with OpenTable
Sauce is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #480 of 5,693 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Hayes Valley
Cross street: Oak and Page
Transit: BART: Civic Center station; Muni Metro: Van Ness; Muni Market Street Trolley 'F' Line: Gough St.; Muni Bus Stop: 6,7,66,71
Description: At Sauce: Gough we serve what we like to call "Social Cuisine" - American comfort fare so good you'll want everyone at the table to try a bite. It's shared food without the tiny plates. Come sample Chef Ben's creations along with some drinks in the intimate Supper Club; cozy up to the beautiful redwood bar for a signature cocktail; or, enjoy a meal in the bustling main dining room. Experience what happens when Comfort Food meets California Cuisine — it could be our Tomato Bisque with white truffle grilled cheese sticks; Portobello mushroom fries; or our signature applewood-smoked-bacon wrapped meatloaf, something is sure to tickle your fancy. Located just a few blocks from the civic center in Hayes Valley, Sauce: Gough is the welcoming result of three partners' desire to create a comfortable spot for drinking and dining. Pre-Show, post-show and for all your private events Sauce is the place. Stop by for dinner any night between 5pm and Midnight and see for yourself; what’s cooking
Corning, New York
“A nice local restaurant in the middle of San Francisco”
Reviewed April 9, 2011

Sauce was recommended to us by a client in upstate New York. Since we support local businesses we decided to check it out. It was a great find. I don't know San Francisco well but it appears to be near the Civic Center and Theatres and would be a good choice for a dinner before a show or desert after. The menu had lots of vegetarian choices, as well as regular and the meals were well presented. Service was fast.

I would go back there again if my travels take me that way.

• Visited April 2011

Seattle
“Great find in the city!”
Reviewed September 21, 2010

After having a lousy experience the night before at a different restaurant in S.F. (that would be Catch), Sauce was a welcoming pleasant experience for us! Walking distance from our B&B, just made it in after the huge opera/dinner rush, so we got right in and seated near the window that opens to the side of the restaurant. Waitress was very friendly, pleasant, knowledgeable and attentive. Had the small plates and were very satisfied! Price of meal wasn't bad either. Would definitely go back!

Oakland
“Ahhhhh.... A night at Sauce!”
Reviewed March 25, 2010

I love going to a place where it's intimate but not stuffy, the staff is fun and the food and drinks are good. I find all of those things at Sauce! The sweet gem lettuce steak wraps are a great light way to start. Next I like to move on to my favorite - the bacon wrapped mini meatloaf. I need a break at this point ;) So I order the candied red and gold organic beet salad. Wow!!!! If I'm really hungry, move on to split a meal or if not, finish off with some Carpaccio and then their delish desserts! All in all, this place is top noch. Service, food, drink, ambiance - it has it all. Worth the trip across the bay, down the street or across the country :)

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Nice selection & small plates”
Reviewed August 16, 2009

We really enjoyed Sauce. Everything we had was just tasty. The mushroom soup was some of the best we have ever had. We shared the small plates & with 3 small plates & soup, that was plenty. My father had the Mac & Cheese & really enjoyed it.

San Francisco, California
“Good but not interesting”
Reviewed July 2, 2009