“Totally Overrated”

The St. Regis San Francisco
Ranked #8 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Northern California
Reviewed June 20, 2006

be careful when signing the receipt at the St Regis spa Remede.... they slam an automatic 20% tip onto any fees... they don't suggest... they just add it....WHAM!!

This option should be open on the receipt for the customer to add at will.... kind of a crass bit on their part at the end of the experience.

Stayed June 2006
4 Thank hastababy
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 20, 2006

The color choices of this new luxury hotel are fabulous, as is their art collection. It is 1/2 block from the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, and we chose a package that included free tickets. The hotel is also a 20 minute walk from the new attraction -- the Ferry Building -- with its many food shops and restaurants.

My small complaints? When we arrived mid-morning and I asked where I could get a cappuccino I was directed outside to a nearby Starbucks. I expect a hotel of this caliber to have this available in their bar area. If they can make a Bloody Mary, they can make coffee. My other complaint is the lobby bar which "misses" somehow. This bar is a big vacuous room, lacking warmth and congeniality. The tables aren't convenient for your drinks, and beware sitting near the "fireplace" feature. It looks lovely, but the outside doors are directly behind it and the chill from them is not pleasant.

• Stayed April 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed May 15, 2006

I just returned from a 4 night stay at the St Regis San Francisco. We booked a standard room for a medical conference but I guess due to my starwood preferred guest status ( and availability ) we were booked into a junior suite.
My only beef for the remainder of the stay was the service ( or lack of ) out front as our cab pulled up.
Nobody anywhere near the place where you are dropped off.
WE opened out own door and lugged our bags to the check in.
From this point on, every single facet of our stay was wonderful.
We were shown to our room by our butler, and given the demonstration on all of the features, which were really helpful since so many things were automated and controlled with the bedside controls.
The best part was the living room, couch. Probably the most comfortable experience ever, to lounge on the couch in front of the plasma.
Watching the first round of the NFL draft, eating steaming hot Blueberry pancakes ( from room service) and lounging on that couch was the best moment I spent in San Francisco
Our suite was so nice we ate breakfast there every morning.
The butler service was nice as well. Any request and somebody was right there.
The best way I can describe the service at this hotel, was that I never ever saw anybody from a service persepcive, yet whenever we needed anything at all, it seemed like somebody was immediately there to take care of it.

Great bed. Large shower with soaking tub.
Great soft towels and bathrobes.

There isn't much in terms of out-of-room dining, but the room service is well above average in terms of quality and selection. We didn't have much of a view from the room, but the view IN the room was nice enough

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
8 Thank snaggletooth
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 29, 2006

My company booked the St. Regis for our sales conference and, wow, were we lucky to be able to stay at such a fantastic hotel. The rooms are just amazing. The rain shower was heaven. I had to switch to the Clift for the weekend after my business trip was complete, and I almost cried when I left. I've stayed at the Ritz, the W, and the Palace in San Fran and the St. Regis is by far the best of them. I'm still trying to think of a way I can move in permanently. The staff is very nice, accomodating, courteous, helpful, unlike some of the other 5-Stars. If you have the money, want to treat yourself, and a choice, Stay here. It's worth it.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business