“Fabulous Color Palette”

Ranked #6 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
A TripAdvisor Member
Newport Beach, CA
Reviewed May 20, 2006

The color choices of this new luxury hotel are fabulous, as is their art collection. It is 1/2 block from the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, and we chose a package that included free tickets. The hotel is also a 20 minute walk from the new attraction -- the Ferry Building -- with its many food shops and restaurants.

My small complaints? When we arrived mid-morning and I asked where I could get a cappuccino I was directed outside to a nearby Starbucks. I expect a hotel of this caliber to have this available in their bar area. If they can make a Bloody Mary, they can make coffee. My other complaint is the lobby bar which "misses" somehow. This bar is a big vacuous room, lacking warmth and congeniality. The tables aren't convenient for your drinks, and beware sitting near the "fireplace" feature. It looks lovely, but the outside doors are directly behind it and the chill from them is not pleasant.

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,335)

Reviewed May 15, 2006

I just returned from a 4 night stay at the St Regis San Francisco. We booked a standard room for a medical conference but I guess due to my starwood preferred guest status ( and availability ) we were booked into a junior suite.
My only beef for the remainder of the stay was the service ( or lack of ) out front as our cab pulled up.
Nobody anywhere near the place where you are dropped off.
WE opened out own door and lugged our bags to the check in.
From this point on, every single facet of our stay was wonderful.
We were shown to our room by our butler, and given the demonstration on all of the features, which were really helpful since so many things were automated and controlled with the bedside controls.
The best part was the living room, couch. Probably the most comfortable experience ever, to lounge on the couch in front of the plasma.
Watching the first round of the NFL draft, eating steaming hot Blueberry pancakes ( from room service) and lounging on that couch was the best moment I spent in San Francisco
Our suite was so nice we ate breakfast there every morning.
The butler service was nice as well. Any request and somebody was right there.
The best way I can describe the service at this hotel, was that I never ever saw anybody from a service persepcive, yet whenever we needed anything at all, it seemed like somebody was immediately there to take care of it.

Great bed. Large shower with soaking tub.
Great soft towels and bathrobes.

There isn't much in terms of out-of-room dining, but the room service is well above average in terms of quality and selection. We didn't have much of a view from the room, but the view IN the room was nice enough

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
8  Thank snaggletooth
Reviewed April 29, 2006

My company booked the St. Regis for our sales conference and, wow, were we lucky to be able to stay at such a fantastic hotel. The rooms are just amazing. The rain shower was heaven. I had to switch to the Clift for the weekend after my business trip was complete, and I almost cried when I left. I've stayed at the Ritz, the W, and the Palace in San Fran and the St. Regis is by far the best of them. I'm still trying to think of a way I can move in permanently. The staff is very nice, accomodating, courteous, helpful, unlike some of the other 5-Stars. If you have the money, want to treat yourself, and a choice, Stay here. It's worth it.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
9  Thank tripchick99
Reviewed April 2, 2006

We recently spent a week at the St. Regis San Francisco (my wife and two sons 17 and 20). I can honestly say that my stay was one of the best experiences I have encountered in years. The service was impeccable, rooms magnificent, and location is within walking distance of shopping, dining, Moscone Center, and sights. San Francisco is one of the great destinations of the world and as such has its share of world class hotels; The St. Regis ranks as one of the finest anywhere. The rooms are modern, sleek, high tech, and clean; some rooms having magnificent views of the bay and city. As mentioned in other reviews, you really don't want to leave. We were treated as would be expected in a 5 star hotel without stuffiness or insincere over the top attentiveness, while at the same time, being responsive and attentive to our needs when expected. They refer to you by name, and to me, though not essential, is always impressive. If you like old world decor, this is probably not the place for you. The decor is very modern, with a Zen quality; light, simple lines, fresh, natural, peaceful. The bathrooms are luxurious, and bedrooms, though not huge, are spacious and comfortable. The beds are comfortable and fabrics rich. The most impressive thing (though when you first arrive it seems austere and cold), the staff is warm and attentive, and the Hotel's attention to subtle details, creats an intimate hotel experience, much different than what you get from the large, impersonal business hotels. The hotel meets and exceeds expections, and although not inexpensive, you don't feel cheated, we felt that we paid for superior service, decor, and quality, and we received it. Overall a great experience, as I look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
11  Thank land3d
Reviewed April 2, 2006

While I live in San Francisco, I decided to spend the weekend at the hotel as an escape. It was a great experience-a quite luxurious oasis--with great service and a modern but not austere design. Would highly recommend for a stress reducing experience.

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank racb
Reviewed February 28, 2006

This is a very nice hotel, as you would expect for the price. Great & very helpful staff. Comfy rooms, nice linens. 42" Flat panel TVs are nice, but it seems odd to not have HDTV broadcasts (as major city where every network broadcasts in HD). The meeting/dining facilities were very elegant. But the one complaint I had was being awakened by the very strong smell of cooking onions from the restaurant on the 4th floor-I was on the 5th facing the alley. Made it difficult to go back to sleep. This was not a case of a window being open, but it was being sucked into the ventilation system. Fairly quiet in terms of interior noise and street sounds. In room DVD/CD player, fax and printer are all nice touches. Great overhead shower. Bathroom only had a single sink, and no full length mirror, so it was difficult for 2 people to get ready at the same time. Conveniently located to shopping, movies and museums. Another tip, on the guest room floor there 3 elevators on each side, the first on each side have separate buttons from the other 4 and from what we could see the first never worked during our stay, yet no signs of them being out of service, they may have been some kind of special/VIP elevator, but you didn't know that as you stood waiting for the elevator that would never come. My tip ask for a high floor, and don't plan on watching TV, get out check out the city.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
11  Thank MovieGuyParadise_CA
A TripAdvisor Member
San Fracisco, CA
Reviewed February 27, 2006

My boyfriend recently took me to the St. Regis as a romantic Valentine's Day surprise - although we both frequently stay in excellent hotels for business, we immediately loved the St. Regis! We had a corner suite in the 18th floor with wall to wall views of the city. The plasma TVs were great, as well as the rain showerhead. The luxurious bedding, towels and bath products were all top notch. The gym was also a nice surprise with all the latest TechnoGym equipment.
The hotel is within walking distance of Chinatown (for dim sum) and Union Square for shopping. There's also a restaurant downstairs, Ame - which is quite reasonably priced and has homey and innovative Japanese cuisine. We couldn't have asked for a better weekend!

Stayed: February 2006