“Design over Comfort”

The St. Regis San Francisco
Ranked #6 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed March 21, 2009

Pleasant registration....upgrade to Lady Astor Suite and early check-in (platinum member). Suite is elegant and minimalist: large sitting area with just a sofa and small coffee table, side table and one lamp. Looks great in the daytime, but the one small lamp is so weak that you can't read anywhere in the room at night. Couldn't even eat rooms service breakfast in sitting area in the morning because it was too dark.
Only hotel I've stayed in where there is no notepad and pen or pencil by the phones. More minimalism? Only stationery was one note card and one envelope. Had to use them for making notes by the phone.
Two nice, big plasma HD TVs, but none of the channels are in HD. (Lowly Sheraton at SFO has HD channels!)
Room service continental breakfast cost $30, but pastries didn't taste freshly baked. Called to have them pick up the tray. After 20 minutes, I needed to take a shower so put the tray outside the door. When I checked out an hour later the tray was still there. (Minimalist room service?)
Twelve-foot ceilings in sitting area and by desk are nice, but nearly impossible to open and close curtains completely using long, long plastic wands to move heavy curtains. Ended up getting behind sofa and pulling them aside hand over hand. (Minimalist curtain controls?) Shades in bedroom were, thankfully, motorized.
Butler service also minimalized. Never saw one. I've stayed at five other St. Regis Hotels and always had a butler show up during or just after moving in to describe services and explain room equipment.
No coffee/tea maker in room. Assumed that just having a cup of coffee would incur room service charges.
Broadband is fast. ($14.95/day charge) and room was very clean.
The suite looks like something out of "Architecture Digest," but it's better seen in a magazine. Next time in SF, I'll book another hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
5  Thank SBCCA
Write a ReviewReviews (1,335)

Reviewed March 17, 2009

We have just returned from a weekend in SF staying at the St Regis. The hotel is modern and clean, the rooms spacious and the staff were great. Our problem was the noise that kept us awake on both Friday and Saturday night until 2am. We naively thought it was a one off St Patrick's day party so did not request a room change for the following night-I think it was even louder the following night. Even ear plugs and a pillow over the head could not muffle the noise which was really quite unbelievable for what I presume was a number of bars in the same area. My concern is that when we checked in we were advised to stay on this side of the hotel because the views of the city are better. If the hotel knows there is a noise problem, even on the 12th floor, then I would think they would be booking out the quiet side of the hotel before they put anyone on the noisy side. When we brought this up at checkout the same person who checked us in conceded that , yes, noise from the bars could be a bit loud! It is a shame because it really is a lovely hotel but we will not stay there on our next trip to SF.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Aussie055
Reviewed March 15, 2009

This hotel was a welcome oasis after a day of travelling. The lobby/bar area is tasteful, dramatic and very welcoming, it really made me feel like I was entering a beautiful hotel. I was not disappointed with the room either. It was a spacious and well appointed, with a modern clean design, and the view was amazing. I liked that there was a deep window ledge at the window to allow you to sit and enjoy the view. The bed was big, soft and comfy. The bathroom was also big with the toilet and the shower each in their own minirooms off the main bathroom. The wall on the side of the tub was actually doors that could open into the main bedroom, allowing you to lounge in the bed and see the view or the TV, and essentially still be in the main room. Everything in the room is controlled by a touch screen device next to the bed, including the lights, and the drapes, which open and close at the touch of the screen. The location of the hotel was great, literally next door to the SF Museum of Modern Art, and right around the corner from all the great shopping in Union Square. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TorontoGuy
Reviewed March 2, 2009

We were 1st time visitors to SF so the location to the hotel was great, close to Union Square right off Market St. The hotel staff was incredible! So professional! Their service was exceptional and attention to detail was impeccable, so please know that the SMALL & BIG issue I had with our room had nothing to do with the amazing staff at the hotel. THE SMALLER ISSUE: We booked the Astor Suite, which was a really good size room with a fantastic view, but tell-tale signs of looking "worn" for the $price of the room. It was kind of like "The Hotel" at Mandalay Bay, starts out with amazing interior design and modern decor, but then eventually depending on the clientele you get, starts to look worn sooner than later. (Scuffed up coffee table, furniture legs, worn carpeting etc) You expect that with Vegas, I didn't expect that with the St. Regis in SF. THE BIG ISSUE: We happened to be staying on a Fri & Sat night on the 10th Fl, what we didn't know was that there was a raging night club 10 floors below our window. After a full day of exhaustive sightseeing, thumping music, horn-honking and drunken fights kept us up until 2AM!! (White/traffic noise we can handle, we used to live in NYC, but this was so aggravating!) We had to wait until the night club closed to go to sleep. I TRULY APPRECIATED the hotel management's attempt to make it up to us by moving us to a grand suite the following night, but it wasn't worth losing a night's sleep over and having to pack up all our suitcases to change rooms. As much as I loved the staff, this might be the reason we book somewhere else the next trip.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Audrey'sAuntie
Reviewed February 24, 2009

Stayed five days while on business in San Francisco. Was upgraded to a corner room.
Pros:
high tech room-very cool touch screen room controls
exceptionally clean room
excellent amenities and products in the washroom
excellent housekeeping and turndown service
great food in room service and excellent service however never order their pizza...it was awful
great concierge service
fantastic bar with great service and food selection
spa was very nice as you get free champagne and chocolate truffles

Cons:
Internet access was expensive for my stay
They charged me a handling fee for receiving a package sent to the hotel
Spa products were over priced

As you can see my pros outweigh the cons and I would definetely stay here again.In fact from being a loyal Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton guest I think I may stay only at the St. Regis Hotels and Resorts from now on as long as they have one in the location I will be staying at.

Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank FirstClass001
Reviewed February 19, 2009

Unlike most hotels in the St Regis chain ,this is extremely good . The service is supreme . The rooms are clean ,spacious ,great views .The beds comfortable . There is however one let down : The resturant for breakfast is nothing less than a disaster and highly priced ,with almost humorous service , in fact you could re make Faulty Towers here . The biggest plus for this hotel are the Concierges ,normally in my experience snobby,uncreative at best ; here at the St Regis truly great , helpfull and best of all knowlegable . The St Regis is probably the best Hotel in San Francisco

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank lennydj
Reviewed February 1, 2009

The St. Regis San Francisco was amazing. The service was what I would expect for a 5 star hotel. The ambiance is hip, modern, yet warm. Not stuffy. Our room was clean with a crisp white bed to jump in to. The pillows were fantastic! The bed was perfect. The only thing was the TV didn't swivel and it was off to the left a bit. Other than that, there were black out drapes which kept the room dark in to the morning. The bathroom was clean with great big heavy glass doors in to the shower and toilet area. Everything in the room was controlled by a remote device tied in to the phone.

The indoor pool was gorgeous! It's right next to the spa...where I had a hot stone massage. It wasn't my best massage, but it was nice nonetheless. The spa had all the amenities a girl could want.

The concierge service was delightful and everytime you wanted to walk out the front door someone was holding the door open for you.

Great location in the city. Within walking distance to Union Square and a million restaurants.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank zhoooman