“Excellent hotel in the heart of San Francisco”

The St. Regis San Francisco
Ranked #8 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Ladera Ranch, California
“Excellent hotel in the heart of San Francisco”
Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

The St. Regis is an excellent luxury hotel located in the heart of San Francisco. The staff was very attentive and helpful. The amenities were clean, modern, and beautiful. The bed was the most comfortable bed I've slept in. The Resturant in the hotel called Ame, was also very good. They also provide the room service food. They had excellent butler service as well. We would stay here again.

The main reason we stayed here was because they have an EV charger on site for our car. The valet staff was very knowledgable on its use.

The reasons I could not give this hotel 5 stars was for three reasons. First the parking fee was 58$/day which seemed excessive, but I can understand being that city parking is expensive. Though the thing that kind of annoyed me was they wanted to charge me an additional 25$/day for use of the EV charger? Our car only needed maybe 3-4 hours of charge which should cost around 5$. The valet informed me that the charging unit was a ChargePoint charger (typically 1$/hr) and said if I had a ChargePoint card they could use my card. Which I did and save me almost 100$ for my 4 day stay. I was very thankful for the valet looking out for me, but does the hotel really feel 25$/day is appropriate fee for the charger? Seems a bit gouging given how much we paid for the room each night.

The last point is the WiFi. I've paid for wifi access at many hotels in the past, but many are offering free wifi these days. For how expensive our nightly room rate was I would have expected free wifi. Though that was not the case and it cost an additional 19.99 per day for the faster internet. I know that people think if your staying at the St Regis what do you care about money? Well I do care about value for my money. These little things make a huge difference.

Regardless I still very much enjoyed the hotel and would stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Shane D
William F, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay at The St. Regis San Francisco. I am pleased to hear that you had a wonderful experience with us and that you particularly enjoyed our hotel staff and guestroom amenities. I appreciate your comments regarding the use of the EV charger and will certainly address this with our team. Please do not hesitate to contact me prior to your next visit to San Francisco, as we hope to welcome you back soon.

William.fong@stregis.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 2, 2014

My daughter & I stayed for a few nights at the very comfortable and well located St. Regis in San Fran. We were treated with excellent service every morning when we left & afternoon/evening when we returned. The concierge remembered us by name, and made a point to welcome us/ask about our day when ever we passed by. The Bentley complimentary car service in the evenings was perfect for going out to dinner! I look forward to my next visit to San Fran & staying at the St. Regis!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
William F, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for sharing your review of The St. Regis San Francisco. I am pleased to hear that you and your daughter had a delightful stay with us during your recent visit to the hotel. We appreciate your kind words about our Concierge team and are happy to hear that you were able to enjoy our Bentley house car. Please do not hesitate to contact me prior to your visit to San Francisco, as we hope to welcome you back soon.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We just checked out yesterday, my husband and I are in mourning. It was our first time to stay at a St Regis and it will not be our last. The hotel is well located, easy to walk to lots of great sites, shopping, restaurants, etc. Right down the street from Union Square but not so close you feel like you are buzzing. The scent of the hotel is inviting from the moment you enter, I liked it so much that I bought the scent from the shop in Ghiradelli Square that sells the line to the hotel. My husband and I were amazed at the room, perfectly appointed, great use of space in a crowded city. The rooms have very high ceilings so you feel like you are in a much larger room. The larger windows, with remote control shades are beautiful. The toiletries in the bathroom are great quality. I rarely use them at any hotel after trying them and never actually take them home. I used the soap, shampoo, conditioner and body wash the entire trip and brought home the extra to use on future trips - now that is a first!
The hotel has car service that does no charge drop offs around the hotel in a beautiful Bentley. The driver even gave us a great recommendation for super Chinese food in Chinatown.
Mouhamoud, probably misspelled, one of the bellmen is without a doubt the best bellmen I have met at any hotel anywhere in the world. He was engaging without being intrusive, remembered everything I liked, was always at the door with bottled water, directions, and congratulated me when I returned from a game at Stanford - clearly he had checked the score!
The pool is lovely, and doesn't stink of chemicals, like so many indoor pools. It is open 24 hours a day and on the weekend, expect to find kids there all the time, being loud. I swim laps daily and did find it frustrating to swim laps at 8:30am on a Sunday morning with a kid riding the handicap chair like an amusement ride. On Monday I swam in blissful quiet, alone.
There is some construction going on around the hotel, which did wake us up on Monday. On weekends it isn't an issue - during the week it is currently a problem - ask for a room on a higher floor.
Overall, the hotel is incredibly luxurious without being obnoxious. If you want to be sucked up to, this isn't the place. I have found that at some luxury hotels the staff is so quick to be deferential that you feel like they are servants. That isn't the people at the St Regis. I had a genuine chat one day with the housekeeper, really refreshing. If you want to stay in a beautiful hotel with a smart, friendly staff - this is the place.

Room Tip: Higher the better due to construction.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CatherineJohn75214
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay at The St. Regis San Francisco. We are delighted to hear that you and your husband had an exceptional experience with us and that you were able to enjoy our services and amenities. I sincerely appreciate your recommendation of the hotel and your kind words about our staff. Please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your next visit, as we hope to welcome you back to the best address soon.

Atlanta
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Stayed here for one night with my wife while passing through San Francisco after attending a wedding in wine country. As a Platinum SPG member, we were treated well and upgraded to an Astor Suite for the night. Overall, the room was spectacular, but the staff seemed a little off for a top notch property. All in all, I'd still recommend staying here without hesitation!

The Good:
-Luxury property in every way - Great bed, linens, amenities in the room
-Astor Suite was huge for SF, with a fantastic layout. Felt like I was staying in someone's very high end, modern apartment, which I really enjoyed.
-Lobby area is stylish and welcoming
-Location is convenient to many areas of the city (though a little rough around the edges)
-Staff does attempt to be very helpful and friendly

The OK:
-Couldn't quite put my finger on it, but staff just seemed a little off. Very slow to check in, despite multiple people working the desk. Long explanations for trivial items, and seeming uncertainty regarding how the systems functioned.
-Concierge did not seem to knowledgeable or overly friendly, though she did follow through by arranging dinner for us at a local restaurant, which was nice.
-Bellmen were the same way. Friendly, and clearly trained to be helpful, but didn't truly seem to understand the concept. It was as if they went to a class on 'how' to behave around guests, but did not totally understand the 'why'
-Free breakfast included with platinum option was just ok from a quality perspective
-Rooms can be a little loud, but it is a city, so no escaping those sirens!
-Parking at $61 a day when tax is included

Overall, as I stated above, I would highly recommend staying here, and really enjoyed the visit. Staff likely a little off due to visiting on a Sunday-Monday, and not during primetime weekday or weekend times.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are great, but are likely a little noisier due to extra windows. If you are a light sl...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jgordon24d
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay at The St. Regis San Francisco. We are delighted to hear that you and your wife had a wonderful stay and appreciate your recommendation of our hotel and your loyalty as a Starwood Preferred Guest. I apologize for the inconsistent service during your stay and sincerely appreciate your comments. Please do not hesitate to contact me prior to your next visit to San Francisco, as we hope to welcome you back soon.

Pasadena
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

I use to stay at the St. Regis when I was a young lady with my family, and I was so excited to stay there again as an adult. I have memories of luxurious fabrics, this signature fragrance they had the second you entered, & just the feeling of luxury whenever we stayed.

But unfortunately this is not what I experienced AT ALL this stay! Instead my first night was filled with the sounds of water rushing through the pipes, hearing every siren in the down town SF area go by, over the top hospitality to the point where sincerity was lost, & hearing every single door slam. Then on the day of my convention my order from room service was wrong twice, and when I finally made it in from my convention around 11pm with other speakers we were told by a manager that the establishment that prides its self on service & being accommodating to guests could not serve us a late night snack and that it made more sense for us to go up stairs order room service from our respective rooms, eat alone, then come back down. We thought that if we ordered here this would make things easier considering that we were all together. The executives I was with from AT&T, Pixar, Bloomberg, and a few other companies decided that leaving & getting food else where was better. After weeks of looking forward to a wonderful stay filled with amazing childhood memories I was sincerely disappointed. Based on my most recent stay I can honestly say that I will never recommend this hotel or stay at this location again! If you're staying there note the following:

Sound proof rooms...nope! Helpful late night lounge staff...nope!
Regurgitated modern look...YES!

This was the worst & most expensive stay of my life! If it wasn't for a Concierge by the name of David Mertens I would've checked out! So thank you St. Regis for at least hiring David. Dear St. Regis, when checking in guests letting them know ahead of time that they might hear construction noises would be so helpful for those there on business. When it's time to remodel again investing in the best sound proofing, hiring an interior designer that knows the brand and will select fabrics/art work/furnishings/ascent pieces that reflect the prestige of your brand is highly recommended.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
William F, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay at The St. Regis San Francisco. I regret to hear about your experience at the hotel and sincerely apologize for these disturbances on behalf of our entire staff. I encourage you to contact me directly, as I appreciate your recommendations and would like to further discuss the details of your stay.

ca
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

Room 1103. Deluxe view
Hallway takes up 20%of space
Single sink bathroom
TV miles away and old style
Small closet.
Upgrade at $607?
Parking $57 night
City tax $85
Service very good
Cappuccino not so good
French press coffee just ok
I can't recommend this cool hip bad property. Stay at the JW and save $400 a night

• Stayed March 2014
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We didn't think anything could top our first near-perfect stay but the St.Regis and its wonderful staff, did!

Our summer visit went so well, we invited our parents (from Singapore) to enjoy a pre-Thanksgiving stay with us there a few months later. Prior to our arrival, we received lovely emails from Daniela Cataldo and William Fong welcoming us back. Daniela even called to say she was going out of town but was going to try to rework her trip to return and say hello. Nice doesn't even begin to describe them.

My husband's Starwood Platinum status usually affords us an upgrade for one room. What the St. Regis did was to upgrade us, I'm sure, several categories up for BOTH rooms! Our rooms were knock out, gorgeous suites on their higher floors. We appreciated the incredibly kind gesture, especially my parents. What a treat for them after flying that long distance. They just stood at the doorway of their suite for a moment in stunned silence. From then on, they savored every minute they spent in their room. They didn't even mind their jet lag. I'll never forget coming into their room in the mornings and they'd be sitting on the sill admiring the gorgeous view, pointing out places they recognized or wanted to visit. They never tired of it. Our rooms were so beautiful we barely wanted to leave.

In both rooms, there were enormously huge bowls of fruit with hand written notes from William Fong, the manager. Thank you. We enjoyed all of them! In our room, I found a surprise gift bag of their Remede Spa toiletries with a note from Charles Williams from Housekeeping. They remembered how I raved about their products during our last stay. Wow! I've kept the note because I'm simply bowled over with this attention to detail. Thank you, Charles, for making me feel extra special!

We enjoyed breakfast this time. It was more leisurely with my parents around. Jose and Kane went over and beyond to make us feel welcome every morning. They'd remember our previous days' order and add little extras on top of that. They were also patient and kind with our myriad requests. (Sorry. The diabetic, gluten-intolerant and the low carber all apologize profusely!) If there was anything I would change it would be this. Most hotels allow us a credit voucher for breakfast so those not wanting the carb/sugar-filled continental breakfast can pay a little more and get healthier options. The Starwood platinum breakfast voucher didn't allow for much flexibility but John and Kane did their best to accommodate our many requests, while sticking by the rules. Thank you, for so cheerfully, putting up with us!

Everything wonderful from the first trip report still stands. The spa, the use of the Bentley, the pool/ gym. All more than satisfactory. There is nothing bad I can say. I didn't even hear the construction noise from next door! This trip just sealed our fate as lifelong customers. I appreciate hotels that appreciate our loyalty and remember us when we return. The St. Regis went the extra mile in welcoming us back and we'll never forget this special stay with my parents. Thank you to William, Daniela and your wonderful staff. We look forward to seeing you all in July again.

Room Tip: For the time being, away from the construction side.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Beaverhousen
William F, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your review of your most recent stay at The St. Regis San Francisco. I am delighted to hear that you and your family had a wonderful stay with us on your return visit. I sincerely appreciate your kind words about our décor, amenities, and particularly our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the best address this coming July.