“Starting to show some cracks in the armor”

The St. Regis San Francisco
Ranked #6 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I've stayed at this property several times and I've always had a great experience. It's become my go-to hotel in San Francisco, both on trips for business or pleasure. However, my most recent stay was disappointing and I think I'll be looking to try a couple of other hotels on future trips to San Francisco. My wife and I were there for two nights. When we checked in, I asked the person at the desk if she could put me in the same room type as last time. She looked back through my recent stays to figure it out. A couple of minutes later, she asked "Is this your first time at the hotel?" I get that this is the equivalent of the "did you find everything you were looking for?" question you get when you check out at the grocery store and you know the person isn't really interested in your response, but it's still not ideal. In any case, we did end up in the same room type, but this one was connected to another room and the person next door was on a phone call and we could literally hear every word of her conversation in our room. We asked to be moved. We were taken to a room a level up that clearly wasn't the same room type and had a layout we didn't love. They offered one more room on the 15th floor, but it was filthy -- there was a patch of carpet missing, the writing desk was stained, and the windows looked as if they hadn't been washed...ever. To top it off, we were told there was construction nearby (not sure why we weren't told that on the original room, which was a door away but even lower, but never mind that). Needless to say, we went back to the second room we'd been offered. However, the thermostat didn't work. A very nice woman from engineering fixed it. When I took a shower that night, I realized that the rain shower wasn't working right -- it was mostly dipping. At this point, I was so tired of complaining and looking like a difficult customer that I just let it go.

In general, this is still a very nice hotel and the service is very good for the most part. However, I do think it's starting to show some serious wear and tear and needs to be freshened up if it truly wants to be thought of as an elite hotel over the long term. I should add that I've never been terribly impressed with Vitrine, the breakfast and lunch restaurant. It's tucked away on the 4th floor in an odd location and it's next to an outdoor venue space that always looks like it's in a state of disarray. I don't believe the breakfast menu has changed much (if at all) in the 3-4 years I'v been going.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank henry0421
William F, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The St. Regis San Francisco. I sincerely appreciate your comments as a loyal guest of the hotel and apologize on behalf of our entire team for your experience on your recent visit. I hope that you will contact me directly so that we may further discuss the details of your stay and perhaps allow us another opportunity to make it up to you.

William.fong@stregis.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,342)

Reviewed September 14, 2013

After staying at all the Starwood hotel options in SF over the year, this one definitely stands out. Rooms are well done and clean. Service is impeccable. Tough to argue it is one of the best hotels in the city.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2013

The hotel rooms are gorgeous and comfy. The baths are nice as well. There are lots of places to eat an the location is central so this hotel is a great home base.
There are lots of Facebookers and Twitterers that hand out here. The guys are nice and looking to meet girls. There aren't nearly enough girls showing up. They really should!

Room Tip: Try and get an Exec suite upgrade with a view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your review of The St. Regis San Francisco. We appreciate your recommendation of our Lobby Lounge and our guestroom décor and amenities. I look forward to welcoming you back the Best Address in the near future.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

At first I was caught off guard by the special attention I received from the minute I pulled up in the driveway but I quickly was accustomed to it. I will be measuring every other hotel I stay in against this one. I feel sorry for the competition.

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of The St. Regis San Francisco. We sincerely appreciate your kind words about our hotel and hope to welcome you back the Best Address in the near future.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I have stayed at the St. Regis in San Francisco several times & recently returned last week from another visit, which was perfect! I arrived early around 11:30am & May at the Front Desk very graciously upgraded my room & allocated a room that was ready, which was amazing! Thanks May!

I was in #1206 & loved my room! The view facing towards SOMA, the hills, & Yerba Buena was amazing, especially at night!-just stunning! I love the cool, sleek, understated feel of the entire hotel & the same is felt in the rooms. The dimly lit hallways are lovely & again, very sleek! My room had an absolutely incredible rain shower, a lovely deep soaking tub, the most amazing Remede Toiletries that have such a clean, mint scent, a perfect bed that was soft & very comfy, & plenty of added amenities that are very nice, such as a sachet in the closet, mouthwash in the bathroom, complimentary bottled Water on the desk, & evening Ice delivery (love this touch)!! I drink tons of Water, so this touch was especially appreciated! I loved my room- the overall feel was so nice & quiet. Plus, being on the 12th floor, I had plenty of sunlight streaming through & the remote controlled blinds by the bedside worked very well if I needed to dim the room. I also love the doorbell!

I had In Room Dining several times & each time my meals were so delicious, on time & delivered by an extremely refined & polite team of servers! My favorites included their Caesar Salad with a lovely creamy dressing, the best homemade Vanilla Ice Cream with caramel sauce, the daily blended Juice, amazing Gluten Free Toast, an incredible Lobster soup, delicious Pasta & awesome Grilled Chicken! Oh, & the Fever Tree branded Ginger Ale is the best I've ever had! I'm a huge fan of In room dining & the St Regis highly excels in this area! Very well done! Also, Claudia & Ali from Private Dining handle all requests very well & are extremely nice & efficient! Brent & Archie were awesome Private Dining Servers!!

David Mertens & Mariah from the Concierge desk are so nice & helped me a couple of times with questions regarding SF! Nice job! :) Dominick, Mark Bailey, & Katie from the Front Desk were all lovely & again, refined, polite & sharp!

I really love this hotel! The clean lines, amazing service, incredible food, amazing showers, fantastic toiletries, & lovely beds contribute to an amazing experience & I strongly recommend staying here if you can while visiting San Francisco! Well Done on all levels!

I Look forward to returning in the near future!

Warm Wishes,
Patrick Winkler

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night in September, room was very nice and spacious , bathroom very well equipped , view is beautiful , overall enjoyed my stay as you do you get more than other hotels at half the price

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I would start with positives: the service was outstaning, pretty lobby, interesting drinks and dishes in the main restaurant, and a nice pool.
Negatives: the room I stayed was on a higher floor, the writing table looked beaten up, the mattress was making noises at every move (thankfully we only stayed two nights), no ironing board (you have to request one), you cannot get your own ice, also prepare to call for this.... Overall after staying at St Regis Bal Harbour the standard was set high, but even older St Regis in San Juan was much more relaxing, I forgot to mention the annoying door bell at odd hours that I could hear in my room every few hours. The entire room reminded me an akward design of Palace resorts in Mexico where I believe the price per week is the price per day or two at St Regis, glass bathroom door and opened bathroom concept is not exactly classy. I am writing this review as I am sitting in not so new BH Four Seasons and even though the place does not have a "wow" factor as St Regis Bal Harbour, it is completely in a different class (much higher one) than St Regis San Francisco. I would not stay in St Regis San Francisco again.

Room Tip: stay in a different hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple