“More than my favorite San Francisco hotel”

The St. Regis San Francisco
Ranked #6 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Atlanta, GA
“More than my favorite San Francisco hotel”
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the St. Regis San Francisco for four nights with my wife and son. The hotel exceeded all of our expectations.

This place is beautiful, warm, contemporary, and comfortable. The lobby bar is setup for small groups to enjoy the evening together. The rooms are fantastic. We had a great view. Unfortunately, there is a fire station nearby, so there is some noise from outside, but you're going to hear sirens almost anywhere in a big city. The rooms are well insulated from each other, so we never heard other guests from our room.

The location was perfect for our needs. Right next door is the SF Museum of Modern Art. Nearby is Union Square. Walking distance to great food (that statement is true everywhere in SF), and easy to get a cab to anywhere.

Now for the important part of any hotel review: the staff. Anyone can build a beautiful hotel in a great city. It takes talent to staff and train for excellent service. We interacted with the staff many times during our stay. The concierge, bar staff, front desk staff, bellmen, housekeeping...all were great.

As a business traveler, I stay at 25+ different hotels each year. The St Regis San Francisco is my new favorite. I hope to return there soon.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ksquare
William F, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your opinion on your most recent stay at The St. Regis San Francisco. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our location and comfortable rooms, but as we take pride in providing excellent service we are pleased to hear that our staff was able to create an enjoyable stay for you. Again, thank you so very much for your feedback and we hope to host you and your family again upon you next trip to San Francisco.

415-284-4057

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
australia
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Second stay at this Hotel and after just coming in from Las Vegas where staying at the Mandarin Hotel you really notice this Hotel just does not make the grade as a luxury Hotel and regret due to my platinum spg status staying here and not the Mandarin Hotel.
Firstly the free wifi ,breakfast and upgrade are nice but i don't expect to find stains on the carpet in the room,the bathrooms and closet space are small in the room we had and when asked for water at the turn down service was told they had run out.If you are a light sleeper the noise of the sirens going past will keep you up at night.Staff are a hit or miss and lack the training and I suggest the hotel manager spend some time at a Mandarin Hotel and see the difference.
Hotels gym,spa and bar excellent

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ald59
William F, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback in regard to your most recent visit. Please accept our most humble apologies for failing to provide you with our uncompromising and bespoke service of which we are very proud of at the St. Regis. While we are pleased to inform you that in 2013 we are starting our room renovation and refresh, we truly regret learning about the challenges of your accommodation and will use your comments for our immediate internal follow-up. We sincerely hope you will visit us again and give us another opportunity to be at your service. Thank you for helping us to improve we hope you have a Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

Went to Ame on X'mas Eve.....good was not spectacular and service was sloppy (had to pour my own sake). Was disappointed also with poor bell boy service when we needed a taxi back to our hotel. Only bright spot was the lobby bar which had a great range of whiskies.

8 Thank Tek C
Dear Ame Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding dinner on December 24th. As part of our wine and sake program it is always our duty and privilege to pour the bottle for our valued diners. I apologize for this misstep and have addressed this with the team. I appreciate your compliment on our bar whiskey list. We are committed to delivering the highest standard of service and hope to have the opportunity to exceed your expectations. Should you return to Ame in the future, I would see to it personally to show you that Ame can deliver.

Susan N. Johnston
General Manager, Ame restaurant
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Not a St-Regis fan, more of a 4S fan in general. We do not like the St-Regis in New York despite the fact that rooms are super comfy and beds even more, but the typical St-Regis traditional type decor is not our type. We are not fans of super modern W types either but we do enjoy contemporary styled hotels with a classic, timeless feel. The San Francisco St-Regis is an elegant and contemporary style hotel, not classic and timeless, a bit more "au goût du jour" which means "taste of the day". So its nice, not timeless. Its elegant, very clean, comfortable, the suite we had was well designed, view was great. Service is ok but nothing to remember or make you go back.

Now if we look at the experience we lived as tourists in San Francisco for the price we were paying at the St-Regis, the value was great. It was a great hub to be in. We could walk to several places, even a great ball game on the Friday evening with fireworks and an interesting victory.

The big question... would we go back? Honestly we could go back because the overall value was great. The 4S is always on our list but in SF it is getting old so that's why we opted for the St-Regis.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
William F, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the St. Regis San Francisco. We are delighted to hear that you appreciated the style & decor of our hotel as well as our location in the heart of San Francisco. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future.

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I am an SPG Gold member and I love staying at any St. Regis. It is always a treat and worth every penny. I have stayed at the St. Regis NYC, St. Regis Punta Mita and in Laguna. We stayed here for a girlfriends birthday and the butler service, started off with the front desk person telling us; "There is a $75 charge for unpacking your bags" [This is a butler service in all other St. Regis hotels] When I asked why it was different, they said, "Well, NYC is old school." Okay. Well, after that, we had to pay for coffee in the room. No french pressed coffee brought by the butler etc.

The front desk people were snooty, our butler although nice was barely understandable, and we had difficulty communicating. Now, for the pluses: the property is gorgeous, well located, and the restaurant and bar employees are friendly, not snooty and very helpful. The doorman, driver for the house car, and the porters are all fantastic and helpful. Also, in fairness, the front desk accommodated early check-in [something required under our SPG benefits] even though they emailed me to tell me it was likely unlikely.

For the price we paid, I want to check out the Fairmont or the Four Seasons that get better reviews from Trip Advisor but for all those reading, if you ever get a chance, stay at the St. Regis in NYC or PM because it is a life time experience. I am bummed that SF cannot equal that type of service.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank furlagirl
William F, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The St. Regis San Francisco. Please accept my apology for the inadequate service provided during your stay. Unlike the St. Regis properties in New York & Monarch Beach, our hotel provides complimentary Butler Service only to our Suite guest rooms. I am sorry for the misunderstanding at the Front Desk and do hope that you and your friends will grant us a second chance in the near future.

San Francisco
Reviewed December 14, 2012

This is what I expect from a St. Regis. A very new hotel South of Market that is tastefully done with excellent service. The whole place exudes a certain pleasantness and leaves you walking out saying "wow, that was a really nice hotel." Rooms were modern, clean and very nice. SPG platinum got an upgrade to an executive which had more space, a desk and a corner view. Lobby is well-done and cozy with a great bar and wonderful large gas fireplaces - I would be very happy to sit there for hours. Gym is nice and well-equipped.

Two minor nits: unlike Asian St. Regis hotels, the coffee in-room is not complimentary, and breakfast is a la carte instead of the amazing buffets I've seen at other St. Regis hotels, and not included with the room - again unlike other St. Regis. If you can swing this on your trip, do it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 451MSH
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 12, 2012

The hotel added false and fraudulent charges to my bill without notifying me, after I checked out and paid the final bill. Even the original final bill had additional incorrect charges, but they corrected those. Then my credit card bill a month later had two additional charges after I checked out. They initially claimed one was for parking and the other was for a hold on the room, which would be charged back. Then, they switched their story and claimed both were for honor bar charges after I left (they never explained how the parking charge was on there, and it was two charges, and it magically transformed to one honor bar charge). The honor bar charges added up to about $455. It is a totally false charge, I had 3 items adding up to about $30 or so, not the long laundry list of alcohol they claimed. The system is set up so that instead of checking the honor bar when you check out, they "claim" to check it later and bill you for it then, without your knowledge. Having discussed this with many people, I am finding that other people have reported suffering false honor or mini bar charges as well. I wonder if the hotels set this system up this way to rip people off, thinking it will make it difficult to challenge. Needless to say, i won't be paying these charges and I won't be staying at the St. Regis again. In an attempt to placate me about these false charges, they offered me a "holiday" discount of halfoff, so I would only be half ripped off, I guess. Then, they offered me a free upgrade. Now, do they really expect me to go back, under any circumstances, to a hotel that has made false charges to my credit card and won't reverse them? I was willing to overlook the bungling of the bill and charges on the initial final bill and even the charge after the fact without notification, but i can't overlook them sticking by a false bill.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Mark W
William F, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with The St. Regis San Francisco. We are committed to resolving this issue and will continue to be in touch with regard to this matter. Please contact our Butler Services Team at (415) 284-4000 to further discuss your folio and your concerns.

Regards,