“Ame”

The St. Regis San Francisco
Ranked #9 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
“Ame”
Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

Went to Ame on X'mas Eve.....good was not spectacular and service was sloppy (had to pour my own sake). Was disappointed also with poor bell boy service when we needed a taxi back to our hotel. Only bright spot was the lobby bar which had a great range of whiskies.

8 Thank Tek C
William F, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Ame Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding dinner on December 24th. As part of our wine and sake program it is always our duty and privilege to pour the bottle for our valued diners. I apologize for this misstep and have addressed this with the team. I appreciate your compliment on our bar whiskey list. We are committed to delivering the highest standard of service and hope to have the opportunity to exceed your expectations. Should you return to Ame in the future, I would see to it personally to show you that Ame can deliver.

Susan N. Johnston
General Manager, Ame restaurant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Not a St-Regis fan, more of a 4S fan in general. We do not like the St-Regis in New York despite the fact that rooms are super comfy and beds even more, but the typical St-Regis traditional type decor is not our type. We are not fans of super modern W types either but we do enjoy contemporary styled hotels with a classic, timeless feel. The San Francisco St-Regis is an elegant and contemporary style hotel, not classic and timeless, a bit more "au goût du jour" which means "taste of the day". So its nice, not timeless. Its elegant, very clean, comfortable, the suite we had was well designed, view was great. Service is ok but nothing to remember or make you go back.

Now if we look at the experience we lived as tourists in San Francisco for the price we were paying at the St-Regis, the value was great. It was a great hub to be in. We could walk to several places, even a great ball game on the Friday evening with fireworks and an interesting victory.

The big question... would we go back? Honestly we could go back because the overall value was great. The 4S is always on our list but in SF it is getting old so that's why we opted for the St-Regis.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
William F, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the St. Regis San Francisco. We are delighted to hear that you appreciated the style & decor of our hotel as well as our location in the heart of San Francisco. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future.

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I am an SPG Gold member and I love staying at any St. Regis. It is always a treat and worth every penny. I have stayed at the St. Regis NYC, St. Regis Punta Mita and in Laguna. We stayed here for a girlfriends birthday and the butler service, started off with the front desk person telling us; "There is a $75 charge for unpacking your bags" [This is a butler service in all other St. Regis hotels] When I asked why it was different, they said, "Well, NYC is old school." Okay. Well, after that, we had to pay for coffee in the room. No french pressed coffee brought by the butler etc.

The front desk people were snooty, our butler although nice was barely understandable, and we had difficulty communicating. Now, for the pluses: the property is gorgeous, well located, and the restaurant and bar employees are friendly, not snooty and very helpful. The doorman, driver for the house car, and the porters are all fantastic and helpful. Also, in fairness, the front desk accommodated early check-in [something required under our SPG benefits] even though they emailed me to tell me it was likely unlikely.

For the price we paid, I want to check out the Fairmont or the Four Seasons that get better reviews from Trip Advisor but for all those reading, if you ever get a chance, stay at the St. Regis in NYC or PM because it is a life time experience. I am bummed that SF cannot equal that type of service.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank furlagirl
William F, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The St. Regis San Francisco. Please accept my apology for the inadequate service provided during your stay. Unlike the St. Regis properties in New York & Monarch Beach, our hotel provides complimentary Butler Service only to our Suite guest rooms. I am sorry for the misunderstanding at the Front Desk and do hope that you and your friends will grant us a second chance in the near future.

San Francisco
Reviewed December 14, 2012

This is what I expect from a St. Regis. A very new hotel South of Market that is tastefully done with excellent service. The whole place exudes a certain pleasantness and leaves you walking out saying "wow, that was a really nice hotel." Rooms were modern, clean and very nice. SPG platinum got an upgrade to an executive which had more space, a desk and a corner view. Lobby is well-done and cozy with a great bar and wonderful large gas fireplaces - I would be very happy to sit there for hours. Gym is nice and well-equipped.

Two minor nits: unlike Asian St. Regis hotels, the coffee in-room is not complimentary, and breakfast is a la carte instead of the amazing buffets I've seen at other St. Regis hotels, and not included with the room - again unlike other St. Regis. If you can swing this on your trip, do it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 451MSH
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 12, 2012

The hotel added false and fraudulent charges to my bill without notifying me, after I checked out and paid the final bill. Even the original final bill had additional incorrect charges, but they corrected those. Then my credit card bill a month later had two additional charges after I checked out. They initially claimed one was for parking and the other was for a hold on the room, which would be charged back. Then, they switched their story and claimed both were for honor bar charges after I left (they never explained how the parking charge was on there, and it was two charges, and it magically transformed to one honor bar charge). The honor bar charges added up to about $455. It is a totally false charge, I had 3 items adding up to about $30 or so, not the long laundry list of alcohol they claimed. The system is set up so that instead of checking the honor bar when you check out, they "claim" to check it later and bill you for it then, without your knowledge. Having discussed this with many people, I am finding that other people have reported suffering false honor or mini bar charges as well. I wonder if the hotels set this system up this way to rip people off, thinking it will make it difficult to challenge. Needless to say, i won't be paying these charges and I won't be staying at the St. Regis again. In an attempt to placate me about these false charges, they offered me a "holiday" discount of halfoff, so I would only be half ripped off, I guess. Then, they offered me a free upgrade. Now, do they really expect me to go back, under any circumstances, to a hotel that has made false charges to my credit card and won't reverse them? I was willing to overlook the bungling of the bill and charges on the initial final bill and even the charge after the fact without notification, but i can't overlook them sticking by a false bill.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Mark W
William F, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with The St. Regis San Francisco. We are committed to resolving this issue and will continue to be in touch with regard to this matter. Please contact our Butler Services Team at (415) 284-4000 to further discuss your folio and your concerns.

Regards,
Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

This is our third time staying here. I'm a Starwood member so we always end up staying here because of the free wifi and room upgrade when available. Also out of all the other 5 star hotels in the city this one always has the best rates. When you factor that along the fact that the hotel is as an ideal location, rooms and facilities are clean, and service is great staying here becomes a no brainer. One negative comment I'd make is that the street noise can be a bit loud. They've always upgraded us to a room on a higher floor but we can still hear cars and sirens on a bush night. This may be the case for any hotel located near downtown though.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Smooth_Obturator
William F, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

The feedback on your experience at the St. Regis San Francisco is greatly appreciated, and I would like to thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We are pleased to hear that you are a member of our Starwood Platinum Program. We value loyal customers such as yourself and we could not be more delighted to receive a review from you. We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed our location, rooms, facilities, and wifi, and service. Again thank you for your kind words and we hope to welcome you into our doors again in the near future.

Malibu, California
Reviewed December 6, 2012

This hotel is everything you would hope for. Beautifully appointed. Great comfort. Good restaurants and bar. Excellent location. And most of all, a superlative staff. We were treated with care and expertise by this wonderful group of people. I can't remember being this happy in any hotel and I plan to return whenever possible. Highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Brent S
Dear Guest,

Your kind words are very much appreciated and we thank you for taking time to share your most recent experience at The St. Regis San Francisco. We pride ourselves in providing exceptional service and we are happy to hear that we were able to create a memorable experience for you. We hope to welcome you into our doors again on your next visit to San Francisco.