“I love this hotel”

The St. Regis San Francisco
Ranked #6 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is excellent. Everything was perfect.

The only bad part was the room service I ordered when I got there. Very lousy for $100.

For food, go to the grove directly across the street. Casual and one of the best restaurants I've ever been to. Open late.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank JasonAtlanta_GA_
Write a ReviewReviews (1,335)

Reviewed September 13, 2012

My sister and I had a planned a lovely girls' getaway in SF and chose the St Regis as our base. We were in SF to celebrate a friend's birthday (who lives in SF) and were planning on treating her to a spa day. We arrived on the red eye from NYC and were welcomed to a cozy lobby with a roaring fireplace. This was my 10th stay at a St Regis (not in SF, others) and we were made to feel very welcome at check-in. Our room wasn't ready yet, but we went off to confirm our spa reservations for the next day. The spa looked lovely and we had our three spa services confirmed, so we were all set.

When our room was ready, we went up - it had a lovely view, great bathroom, everything you expect from a St Regis. The concierge was knowledgeable and the hotel bar was great - do try their various specialty bloody marys (I drank them in lieu of having lunch each day!). Now on to the only sad part of our stay - the spa. My sister went in first and I waited in the hotel lobby for our friend, the birthday girl. When we went up to the spa, it seemed to be understaffed. The one receptionist was on the phone and when she finally did check us in, did not give us the mandatory tour of the facilities, just let us know where the locker rooms were. Odd, for a spa of this class, especially since the actual treatment rooms were on another floor and there was an internal, spa only elevator to get there. It would have been nice to have this explained to us. I was planning on using the wet facilities (steam, sauna etc) before my treatment, but to my shock, saw that there was a sign that these were not working today. The fact that nobody had mentioned this to us when we made our reservations and when we had confirmed them the previous day was unacceptable. Our plan to spend a few hours relaxing pre and post treatment was shot to pieces. I went in for my treatment but told the receptionist that I would like to meet with the spa director. My treatment itself was great (all 3 of our treatments were) but that didn't solve our problem. Luckily, my sister was able to get us a reservation for high tea right after, so we could celebrate our friend's birthday there instead of in the spa. The spa director was most apologetic, comped our services and even gave the birthday girl a goody bag, but it was still a sad wrinkle in our otherwise lovely stay.

One last thing that I must mention - do try the hotel's restaurant Ame. In a city with outstanding restaurants, it was memorable. An exceptional take on Asian fusion.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 12, 2012

This was a repeat trip for me to the St. Regis. I must say it turned out to be one of the best experiences I've had. There was a mix-up at first, but Daniela C. and her team worked to rectify the situation and provide me with a level of customer service that was one-of-a-kind. The staff at the Vitrenne restaurant were also the best. Better than the amenities, room or location was the service. The Metropolitan Suite is excellent, with personal butler service. There is no comparison. The only negatives are the prices, but that's to be expected. You will have a great experience.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

This is a stunning property where all your cares will be forgotten. We received an upgrade to a delux something room that was beautiful. All appointments were top notch. Restaurant Ame was delicious and wine director John Vuong is a master of wine and sake pairing - thank you John. Things are expensive ($50/day parking and $20 in room small cheese pizza) but worth it. When you call to order room service and the phone is answered with someone repeating your name, order, time you call and the time your food will be delivered it's impressive. The staff cares and it shows with every interaction. Thank you.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Decided I wanted a change of pace and booked here for 3 nights. I even upgraded myself to a corner room. They gave me a nice room on the 15th floor with the best view available considering the location of the building. I've been to SF many times before and always stay in the same general area.
Even though my room had my all time favourite hotel luxury, a separate shower, I was still not all that impressed. Perhaps because my all time hotel pet peeve is a bathroom open to the bedroom, where even though there were doors that fully closed and covered the bathroom, I still knew it was an open concept.
Location is great, right on Mission and Third. The greeting was St. Regis excellent, although unlike vacation properties, this city property didn't have individual desks, just a central check in counter. The agent walked out from behind the counter and walked me to the elevators chatting about the hotel the entire time, which was appreciated.
My corner room was not huge but certainly acceptable. The drapes over the large picture window did not fully cover the window and the all night neon shone right on the bed. There was a ton of storage for clothes etc.
The bathroom was a bit small and the furthest corner could have used some more lighting. The tub was huge and I assume that's the main reason for the TV in the bathroom. The towels and amenities were excellent in quality and quantity. Housekeeping was perfect every time.
The electronic controls worked fine, but the bedstands were a bit small leaving very little room for personal items.
The furniture and lighting was fine. Wireless internet worked fine at all times and wired internet was available. The desk was well designed and well stocked, except there were no pens in the room.
For the price difference, there wasn't much to wow me. But if you feel the need to be greeted and ushered into your car with a flourish, this property will most certainly give you that.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I stayed for a week in a deluxe king room.

Good -
Rooms are spacious, well decorated, comfortable and just altogether pleasant to spend time in. Muted colours and lighting which were most relaxing.
The shower was super. Great pressure.
Service was discreet and attentive, could not fault it.
Location was very convenient for a conference within the Moscone centre and then for sightseeing. Right next door to the SFMOMA and a 5 minute walk to BART and MUNI lines.
The gym was very good, several running, cycling and eliptical machines. Many weights machines and free weights available. Busy, but never overcrowded the time i was there. An employee was there constantly in the morning to ensure machines were cleaned and the fridge of cold towels was stocked.
The pool was lovely, quiet and just the correct temperature for swimming lengths.

Bad - Noise. From other guests and housekeeping. The doors are so noisy when they are closing. Also housekeeping calling out in the hall several times over the stay, knocking on doors and calling out to guests. Over several days this becomes rather irritating.

Ugly - The food. I ate several times in the restaurant for breakfast and room service in the evenings. The standard was pretty dreadful for such a property. I did not think a five star hotel could make an eggs benedict inedible. I was wrong. (And yes I did send them back). All meals I ate, largely because I was too idle to leave the hotel at times, were highly mediocre, everything from an omelette to a salad. Disappointing infact. When I return, I will not eat there at all, as there are so many quick dining options within a block. I did not eat at Ame.

Would I stay again? Yes. It is a great hotel with excellent staff.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We made our reservations with our Amex card and got a free upgrade and USD$300 of credit to use at their restaurants and spa. The rooms are impeccable and divine and the service is second to none. I was thoroughly impressed.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple