“Location and service”

Ranked #9 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Laguna Beach-sarasota
“Location and service”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Second stay in 8 months. Impeccable service. Beautifully furnished, and wonderful indoor pool and spa/steam. SPG recognition helps. 100 yard from SF MoMA...better for us "oldies" than the W, a block away. Nice quick breakfast across street at Grove.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
new york
Reviewed August 13, 2012

The concierge was exceptionally helpful and after finding out that it was my birthday sent up a beautiful cake with candles and all. The bar and restraunt were excellent, attentive, efficient and beautiful. I would highly recommend this hotel while in SF. BTW, the location is great for shopping, walking and eating.....

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 12, 2012

As everyone else says on here...
Room is lovely, staff is somewhere below Holiday Inn. Bafflingly bad and in dumb ways you just don't expect from 5 Star hotel. Get the upgrade from AMEX Platinum for the extra space and amenities (which you will have to fight for, see below) or stay elsewhere.

First the good... Design is nice, Very hip and modern. My suite was big, and great floors. The comp upgrade from suite i had booked, was to a very nice high floor Metropolitan suite.

And the bad? Everything that involved service!

Concierge had a wonderful suggestion for a restaurant where I could grab a quick bite, and gave me walking directions. However she neglected to make or offer to make a reservation (I assumed that meant it was super casual) or to tell me this was one of the hottest places in town and the wait would be over 2 hours. The next day I found my own place to eat , but asked a different concierge how to get there via Muni/walking he then curtly said "just take a cab" and went back to his computer. I dealt with one other concierge during my stay, who was very helpful. So 1 out of 3 were good?

Every single day the room service order was wrong, and this was not a complicated order. Literally every day. Sure this is not big in the grand scheme of things, but for $30 eggs they might as well be right? Even the waiter was mortified by day 3 and he returned with apologies from the manager and a promise breakfast would be comp'ed because it happened so many times. However that breakfast was not comp'ed. Nice. In fact the breakfast should have been free anyway because of the AMEX Fine Hotels special. This was not reflected on the bill at checkout. And the checkout desk had me waiting for well over 20 minutes why she kept waiting for call back to explain why this happened. When I told her I had to go (and she too was clearly confused and embarrassed by why an answer was taking so long-- although at first copping a little attitude about the mistake must have been mine) I told her to charge what she wanted. She said she would investigate and call/email full explanation. Its been a month and I am still waiting for that call or email (but I saw on my hotel bill they did knock off the price of the breakfasts).

Four days and never did get that bucket of ice with a lid. I even sent one back saying please bring one up with a lid. Instead they returned with another champagne bucket. And I sure did appreciate them placing that champagne bucket of ice on the desk near my lap top and iPod when I had left the room. And yes, water melted everywhere on to it. Lap top fine, iPod not.

I called Maid service to ask for a specific cleaning time on day 2 (due to intense work schedule). I told them I can work around you, I just need a time. Time arrived so I wandered the city for an hour or so, only to return to find the maid had just arrived. She informed she was busy and no one told her come any earlier and I had to come back in another hour and half. No one seemed to know why that happened, although I was promised a call back to explain once they figured it out (surprise, it never came) and again not normally not a big deal but this was a work trip and I had to miss a deadline to accommodate their staff. And last day inexplicably she piled my eye glasses on top of each other in the bathroom, scratching a lens. Not even sure why she would have moved them in there?

Seriously I could go on and on, but I fear I might sound like a crazy person and have this review dismissed as some wack job. Go to Four Seasons SF, rooms aren;t nearly as hip or modern but the service is infinitely better Also sending an email to the Manager of the hotel... (even that was a challenge at check out, when I explained I would be during that due to the not so stellar service-- it took them a solid 10 minutes to find a manager's business card-- I simply asked to write his contact information down) .

Room Tip: Was in a Metropolitan Suite which was big. The bathroom was very nice.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Writerguy74
William F, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for your valuable feedback on your recent stay at the St. Regis San Francisco. I am disappointed to hear about the numerous defects you experienced and accept full responsibility as the Hotel Manager. My sincerest apologies for the lack of focus and attention you received and rest assured that I have met with my staff regarding this matter. I hope for the opportunity to welcome you back in order to regain your confidence in us and would like to personally take care of the arrangements. I look forward to speaking with you in detail.
Best regards,
Hotel Manager
Seattle
Reviewed August 5, 2012

As a big fan of Starwood hotels I always jump at the opportunity to stay at a St. Regis. This hotel is located with easy access to must of San Francisco, either by foot, bus or Über car service.

The rooms stop on the 20th floor so you'll want to request the highest room possible.

The rooms themselves are very tastefully wih modern amenities such as electronic shades and lighting control. They are extremely quiet which makes for a relaxing night sleep.

The lounge in the lobby serves great bites and drinks.

The service is always 5 star.

Looking forward to coming back.

• Stayed August 2012
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights on vacation. The hotel is modern and extremely well kept. Well located. Lobby very nice. The only negatives I can think of is workout room is a bit small and wifi should be included
I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank home9987
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My party stayed at the hotel for 5 nights in July 2012.

We had an Astor Suite and a superior double room. Both were beautifully furnished. The colour scheme is contemporary and relaxing and the large windows make the rooms very light.

The rooms were very clean and housekeeping was excellent.

The gym is well equipped, although it was too hot for our liking.

The Reception and bar are stylish. The bar appeared to be very popular.

We did not have many opportunities to interact with the staff but when we did then they were pleasant and helpful.

My party was staying in the hotel as part of a holiday and, maybe, the hotel has a feeling of being a business hotel more than a leisure one.

Highly recommended

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

Currently on our second night here at the St. Regis in San Fran. The location is great and is walking distance to lots of shops and food. I have to commend the lady that checked us in, Laura. I've never met such a thorough, polite and professional who has checked us into a US hotel as she was. Usually we see that kind of treatment in our overseas travel but it was such a pleasant surprise to see it here. We've ordered room service twice and when they say what time they will deliver it they will be there right on time! Everything came piping hot and they set up an entire dining area in our room. Our room itself is exactly what you would expect from a St. Regis - plush, luxurious and clean! Would recommend this to anyone in a heartbeat.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business