“Perfect high-end hotel”

Ranked #9 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
DC
“Perfect high-end hotel”
Reviewed November 21, 2007

I travel extensively (investment banker) and was thoroughly impressed with the St Regis in San Fran. Definitely one of the nicest hotels in the country and the service was impeccable. Not sure how anyone could have anything but a great stay there unless that person is impossible to please. But, now that I think about it, my wife had a great stay there too!

Stayed November 2007
2 Thank Javarama

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed November 20, 2007

Suprise birthday weekend for my boyfriend. Upon on arrival we were upgraded to a corner room with amazing views. We felt so comfortable in our beautiful room that we couldn't wait to get back to it at the end of the day and spent quite some time in throughout outr stay. It maybe pricey but if you can appreciate the finer things in life it is definitely worth it! Go ahead and splurge. P.S. If the Bentley is available for the night make sure to take a ride in it on your way to dinner!
you can email me qwith questions, I have a few pics that were too large to upload,

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LadyJC12
Birmingham,AL
Reviewed October 30, 2007

Just returned with friends from a 4 night stay at the wonderful St. Regis ..What a fabulous experience !!!! From the front desk, concierge (David) to the entire staff .... PERFECTION !!!! The room was a beautitul zen like ambience with controls even for shades and black out shades...beds so comfortable and large marble bath with amazing shower with rain showerhead...I am the most particular and this hotel was one of the highlights of our trip ... The most eager to please and kindest staff ..ask and it was done ...

Stayed October 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed October 18, 2007

My fiance and I stayed at the St. Regis, San Francisco last weekend for my birthday and to celebrate our engagement. The hotel sent us an email a few days before our stay asking if there was anything they could do for us and if we were celebrating a special occasion. We told them our situation and arrived at the hotel to find that they had upgraded our room and had left a birthday cake in the room for me.
I can't say enough good things about this hotel. The service was impeccable and the room was extremely comfortable. We alwayed looked forward to returning to it after our walks around the city. There is a wonderful chaise lounge perched in front of the windows overlooking the city that was so comfortable to sit in and gaze at the view. Also, the bed and Pratesi lines were amazingly comfortable and we enjoyed the rain bath shower as well.
We have decided we never want to stay anywhere else when visiting San Fancisco.

• Liked — Service and room
  • Disliked — Fire Station nearby
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank malibuLBK
San Diego
Reviewed October 12, 2007

I wanted to be able to say good things about this hotel. It has a great location and the concierge was a life-saver when my baby-sitter had to cancel at the last minute. The staff was much more family friendly that I had feared. My 12th floor room was lovely and comfortable.

BUT

I agree with the poster who said street noise is to be expected. Yes, there is a fire station near-by and yes there are sirens. Also, while the soundproofing between the rooms is fine, the noise from the hall comes through the doors loud and clear. If you are a light sleeper, stay elsewhere. However, the real problem was management's decision to book the open-air fourth story deck for an extremely loud party that went on until 11:30 at night. The people dancing and whooping to the bad 80s music seemed to be having a great time. I would have liked to have been able to sleep in my fairly expensive bed. Moral of my story - ask about events on the "Yerba Buena Plaza" and make sure you are on the opposite side if you want to sleep.

• Liked — Concierge
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank AlliJ
Los Angeles CA
Reviewed October 9, 2007

I had the pleasure of staying at the St. Regis for 4 nights while attending a convention at the adjacent Moscone Center. The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art is next door. Union Square, Market St. and the Ferry Building/Farmer's Market are within walking distance. The hotel deserves high praise for its location, design, style, technology, amenities and especially its service.
The St. Regis and Luxury Collection are the Starwood group's high end chains. Having stayed 3 times at the wonderful St. Regis New York and having visited the St. Regis Monarch Beach CA and Washington DC, I was looking forward to my stay here, and at a convention group rate to boot.
The hotel is about 2 years old and located on the corner of Mission and 3rd. Directly on the corner, the facade of a historic 8 story building was preserved and a high rise tower was integrated behind, beside and above it, on what once was a parking lot. The hotel occupies the first 20 floors of the tower; the top 20 or so floors are St. Regis residences. Within the older building are the hotel's 2 restaurants--Ame (dinner) on the first floor and Vitrine (breakfast and lunch) on the 4th--as well as the 2 level spa and offices. There is a landscaped terrace on the roof and another larger terrace on the 4th floor which was tented for an outdoor dinner party when I was there. The lobby in the newer building is compact but stylish and well-designed. A design feature of rose petals is echoed throughout the public areas.
Our convention rate was for the superior room category on the lower floors (5-8), so I was pleasantly surprised when I was upgraded to a deluxe room--same size but on a higher floor (15). I also was able to check in early. My room looked similar to the photos posted on 1/1/06 by a TripAdvisor member from Sunnyvale CA. My room faced west with a view of Yerba Buena Gardens, Moscone and points beyond. The east facing rooms face the Bay, but several employees told me the views are often obstructed by the high rise office buildings of the Financial District.
The room itself was not too large but contemporary and sleek. The entry foyer had a table, wooden floor sculpture and leather walls. There was another wood wall hanging in the bedroom. The bedside table held the St. Regis signature phone/computer that can control the thermostat, lights, window shades, alarm clock, etc. via a touch screen. There were 2 desk chairs and an easy chair, but no chaise lounge or "fainting chair" as seen on the hotel web site. There was a large marble window ledge--great for counter space. One wall held the 42" flat screen TV (which did not swivel) and 3 recessed doors--one was a too small closet (only about 2 feet of space), another held a safe, fax machine (out of ink) and 3 drawers, the third held the minibar and fridge and DVD/CD player. The spacious bath had an enclosed WC, a tub that opened onto the bedroom, a separate shower stall with marble bench, rain head plus hand-held head. There was a 2nd flat screen TV, but only one sink. In the room and bath, there were not enough places to hang clothes or towels.
Technological glitches included: 2 remotes did not work but were quickly repaired (batteries?). With the phone/computer, the party I was speaking to occasionally could not hear me, though I could hear them. The hotel turned this glitch into an example of great service when I requested a wake-up call and the operator called twice but could not hear me, so she sent someone up immediately to give me a personal wake up call at the door. Alas, the phone still was acting up on check out day.
Overall service was top notch--quick, courteous and professional--especially the front desk and housekeeping. The problem of a constantly barking dog in the next room was handled well and with many apologies. The doormen were not so attentive--often talking with the valets. No one helped me when I walked up with my luggage when first checking in. Some of the concierge staff, while helpful, were a bit aloof. I believe all the St. Regis' offer Butler Service. In New York this is quite formal, but seems less so here. One Butler I spoke to on the phone was rather unprofessional--when she couldn't answer my question, she yelled/asked another employee without putting me on hold, so I could hear every thing.
The public facilities include a medium sized fitness center open 24 hours with the friendliest staff, and a wonderful indoor infinity lap pool, also open 24 hours. The whirlpool, steam room and sauna are within the spa--all are on the small side. The "Business Center" consists of 2 computers and one printer squeezed into a 3rd floor alcove by the elevators. This may be a temporary location.
Regarding the sound of sirens mentioned in other reviews--yes you can hear them, but I imagine the other nearby hotels--W, Four Seasons, Westin, Marriott--can as well.
I have stayed at a few other high-end hotels here--the Ritz Carlton, Campton Place, the Palace. I would like to one day try the Four Seasons and the Mandarin Oriental, but for now the St. Regis is my favourite San Francisco hotel.

• Liked — service, overall design
  • Disliked — sound of sirens
  • Stayed September 2007
7 Thank pillowsofwanderlust
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed October 8, 2007

The St. Regis San Fran is a beautiful high-rise property in a great location in one of my favorite cities. The staff was highly-attentive, but never intrusive. The room service was phenommenal and always hot, delicious, and on-time. The beds and high tech window controls were wonderful too. I didn't get a chance to eat at Ame, but I heard wonderful things about the restaurant in the hotel. The bar area was always popular for cocktails and the gym was fantastic. I would highly recommned making reservations at Gary Danko for dinner, one of the best meals I've ever had! Also Boulevard and Postrio were fantastic and R & G Lounge has amazing, authentic chinesse food. I also loved Taylor's Refresher along the Embarcadero for fun and delicious diner style food in an open, casual atmosphere.

Overall, the St. Regis is the place to stay if you are looking for one of the best hotels in San Fran with luxury, privacy, and amazing service.

Stayed August 2007