“Excellent price for the location and service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Park Hotel

Park Hotel
Ranked #146 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Regina, Canada
“Excellent price for the location and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

My friend and I stayed six nights, and it was a great experience. The room was clean and tidy, the staff was helpful and friendly, and the location was safe and close to tourist attractions and transportation. The price for all this was excellent.

We had a basic room with two beds and a private bathroom. Our requests that the room have a mini-fridge (which has no extra charge) and that it be on a higher floor were met. Our room faced Sutter Street, which could be a concern for some because of the street noise. Personally, my friend and I didn't mind it. The window allowed for fresh air, and as funny as this may sound, we could check what people were wearing, which helped us pick our clothes for the day (the weather in San Fran goes from cold to hot pretty easily during the summer days, for those that don't know; bring a sweater and dress in layers!). The WiFi occasionally didn't work, but it was decent overall. There's also a well-equipped kitchen on the third floor that we used.

The staff was extremely helpful and accommodating. If you don't already have an itinerary, you can ask them what to do and where to eat, and you'll receive great suggestions. We were able to check in early on the day we arrived (the room was being cleaned, but we stored our luggage in the closet). As we had a late flight on the day of our departure, we were able to store our suitcases safely with the staff after checking out and pick them up later.

The location was wonderful. We felt safe in the area. It was a block from Chinatown and a couple blocks from Union Square. Good restaurants and shopping were nearby. Transportation was easy to access. We were a few blocks away from the Powell BART Station, which we used to get to and from the airport. It was recommended to us by the staff that we use the Montgomery BART Station, which is also a few blocks away (same ticket price, but there are likely fewer crowds to get through).

Just a note: Try the old elevator at least once! It's quaint and worth the experience, in my opinion. Otherwise, you can always take the stairs and get your exercise.

All in all, it's not a five-star hotel, but everything that it offers is worth the price. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: A room with a private bathroom is very convenient. If you like to people-watch, I'd suggest gett...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rachel L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

Perfect location with a nice clean bed.
The curtains don't cover the windows. We had to use the blanket the second night to block out some light. People in the alley way were loud and kept us up all night.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank TaylerKK
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

We had a pleasant two night stay at this hotel. Rooms are basic but have a certain charm. Staff were very friendly. Location was excellent as a sightseeing base. Good WIFI. As we had a late flight out of San Fran the manager kindly allowed us to use the shower facilities that night despite already checking out earlier in the day. Our luggage was also stored securely during the daytime after checkout. Good value and would recommend.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Good budget style hotel but at San Francisco non-budget prices. Room was nice, clean & adequate, staff were very friendly & extremely helpful, location was great. no homeless people like some other places i read about. Walls were a bit thin i could hear neighbours somewhat but they didn't make too much noise & it was quiet come bedtime so it wasn't a problem for me.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Gunnison, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

This hotel’s prices are exceptional for the area, which is why I now stay here every time I have a conference in San Francisco. The hotel is actually half hostel, with some rooms without bathrooms, and general kitchens available – so there are lots of Europeans & young people – noise is not a problem. The location in Union Square is outstanding – surrounded by high end fashion stores & good restaurants – close to Bart stations. I felt safe walking around the neighborhood at night as a single female. You receive a key to enter the hotel after a certain hour. This visit, the rooms seemed to have been remodeled some – ‘wood’ floors – more clean modern décor. The room was clean and the sheets were of reasonably good quality. The shower ran hot and powerful. All this being said, this hotel is not perfect. For one, I made my reservation through Booking.com online, and was subsequently unable to reach the hotel by phone or email after repeated attempts to change the credit card so my work was billed – finally changed the card number through Booking.com but upon arrival they had no record of it. The front desk man was painfully slow and uncommunicative – after 30 minutes of searching & negotiation, they agreed to give me 24 hours to have my work email in a scanned authorization before charging my personal credit card. Irritating. Two, the internet only worked sporadically which drives me crazy. It was very difficult to put make up on because there was no light above the bathroom mirror. The elevator is truly a pain – although charming in its old fashioned way - with two very heavy doors you have to hold back in order to get on & off. My room never had a washcloth, the maid didn’t come the second day but did come by the third & fourth although I never used door signs. My room got a little stuffy – and there’s no AC - so I wanted the window open but there wasn’t a screen and I kind of worried another guest could enter my room by walking along metal railings that ran along the wall between rooms – this was me being paranoid. The bed was pretty hard but I slept fine on it. The TV has 7 odd channels but you shouldn’t be watching TV in San Fran anyway! Despite the inconveniences – other staff members were effective & nice and I would likely stay at this hotel again as long as they maintain competitive rates.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank OnlyHighways
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

The Park Hotel definitely has a retro feel to it but it's very nice and everything was kept very clean. The elevator is a really neat, a vintage type with manual doors. All of the appliances were new, though, including the TV and minifridge. The room did seem to lack any sort of cooling system. This really wasn't much of a problem for us because the city was rather cool when we went as I imagine it is most of the time.

Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

I stayed in this hotel 2 years ago and was very satisfied. I have therefore booked this hotel again. Got a confirmation of this booking in May. And now one week before arrival I have got an email that the room is cancelled - by me!! I have not cancelled. I have phoned them, emailed them and even send a fax yesterday. But they do not reply.
That is not an acceptable behaviour of a hotel. You can't trust them, so better find another place to stay

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple