“Great location”

Ranked #147 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Auckland, New Zealand
“Great location”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

As others have pointed out, this hotel is in a great location, between Chinatown and Market, and the price is a fraction of that of other hotels in the same location. It is an older building, but everything's nice and clean, I made sure I got a private bathroom so don't have any complaints there. Some older reviews have complained about the lack of WiFi on upper floors but I was getting 5 bars of signal in my room on the far side of the hotel on the fifth floor, so that's certainly not a problem any more. The only slight complaint was that the room was a bit noisy in the mornings due to construction taking place next to the hotel, but that's hardly the hotel's fault. Finally, as others have pointed out, the reception folks are cool.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank tuturiwhata

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I wasn't sure about this hotel after reading some of the negative reviews here at TripAdvisor, but I'm glad I stayed there. The biggest advantage of this place is the location - for those of us who travel on a tight budget, it offers excellent value for money right in the centre of San Francisco. It's conveniently located for exploring San Francisco on foot - it's just a few minutes away from Union Square and Chinatown, and I really enjoyed being able to walk from the hotel to Fisherman's Wharf and the North Beach neighbourhood. There are lots of transport links nearby (buses, metro, train, even the historic cable cars) as well. There are also lots of shops and restaurants in the area. I loved being right in the middle of the action, so to speak, especially considering that I wasn't paying a great deal for the privilege.

The other great thing about my stay was Rodel, at the front desk. Great guy - friendly, incredibly helpful and cheerful... always willing to offer advice on where to go and how to get there. I always looked forward to seeing him on my way in and out of the hotel. Definitely a credit to the establishment.

And now to the establishment itself... the building is nothing special, but it's in okay condition, with an ancient (but functional) lift, which I thankfully didn't need to use much. My room (I booked an en suite) was basic, clean (not spotless though) and in decent condition. The TV had very few channels, but that was fine since I didn't watch much TV anyway - I spent most of my time in San Francisco out and about. There was also a heater in the room, which I didn't need since the weather was great during my visit. There was daily maid service. The room was mostly quiet but sometimes noisy at night, with some music coming through the walls, I'm not exactly sure where it was coming from - maybe a nearby club or lounge.

The communal kitchen on my floor (the 3rd floor) seemed a bit grubby when I looked into it briefly, but thankfully I didn't need to use it during my stay. I don't know what the shared bathrooms are like, but I am very glad I booked a room with its own bathroom.

I would recommend this hotel, but as others have said, it's more of a hostel, so I would only recommend it if you're budget-conscious and looking for basic, decent accommodation in the centre of San Fran without spending a lot of money. If that's you, then I think this place is well worth a shot - otherwise, there are lots of better hotels in the vicinity if you're willing to spend considerably more.

Room Tip: Ask for an en-suite room - it's worth the extra money.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Maxxe80
San Francisco
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The Park Hotel is more accurately described as a hostel, with common restrooms on each level and a common kitchen on the 3rd level. While our room initially seemed clean and hospitable, the TV remote control did not work (but we got batteries from the reception which fixed this problem), the water in the shower was only lukewarm, the toilet soon clogged, and the next morning we woke up to discover bites on our face, arms and hands - possibly from bed bugs. There were 3 small bugs a bit bigger than watermelon seeds in the bathroom on the side of the bathtub where the soap/shampoos had been placed. There was also a cockroach in the common kitchen on the chopping board. The bugs and insects ruined our experience but otherwise, this "hotel" is in a very convenient and safe location near Westfield and other shops, near Chinatown and the Financial District.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

7 Thank Mabel K

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Genoa, Italy
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My girlfriend and I steyed in this hotel twice, one in November 2010 and one in November 2012.
The Hotel is located in the center of SF (close to Union Square, China Town, Financial district and all the main bus stops).
The Rooms are very clean and quiet.
The staff is very kind and helpful.
Under our point of view the price/quality ratio is great
If we get back to SF one day, will stay in this hotel for sure!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ilaEdo
Northwest USA
Reviewed December 30, 2012

This hotel is close to lots of things including all the public transportation options (BART, Muni, buses, trolley cars) along Market Street and the cable car. There are a lot of much more expensive hotels in the area as well as upscale shopping, lots of dining options, etc.

The hotel itself is old, small, and my room did not have a private bath. There's also no A/C (but that's rarely a big problem in SF). There's a reason it's roughly half the price of most other hotels nearby. If you want to store your bags before check-in or after check-out they may be willing to do it but it's just one person working the front desk and I'm not sure they even have tags or claim checks. My room was relatively quiet. I would stay at the Park Hotel again.

Room Tip: My room window opened onto a section of roof as did all the other rooms on the same side of my floor...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank mikeatlarge
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Great location, great value, customer service was great, the Manager was very helpful in giving information of public transit and restaurants. We spent a long weekend in San Francisco, and because of location, we had everything so close by...China Town, Union Square, public transit, cable cars, cafe's, restaurants, one of our favorites being the King of Thai...very yummy and great value. The rooms at the hotel, were clean, comfortable and warm, as being a budget hotel. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are on a budget.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Katsep
Bristol
Reviewed December 20, 2012

This place grew on me during my four night stay. Based in the price for the location I'd stay here again.

The good points:

Location - for the price, this location is amazing. Really central, next to the main shops, Chinatown and on the good side of Union Square. It's safe to walk around.

Service - The guy on reception is the nicest man ever and really helpful, looked after my bag, upgraded my room, will help you find the best things to good in San Fran.

And the bad points:

More hostel than hotel - if you want a romantic break with a partner, go elsewhere. If you want a cheap, central place to just sleep, this is your place.

Other residents - I'd avoid the shared bathrooms and get a room with an en suite. The corridor smells of cigarettes and it blew through the bathroom vent into my room. Neighbours were noisy in the corridor at 3am, I get the sense some live here on a long term basis.

Dirty/shabby- Bed was clean and comfy, but room was a bit dirty and needed a good dusting! Holes in some towels, window didn't shut properly, hairs in the shower etc. There's a fridge in the room which is good.

• Stayed December 2012