“Great cocktails . . .”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Oola

Oola
Reserve with OpenTable
Oola is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #849 of 5,645 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: 4th & 5th
Transit: Near SF Muni bus stops at 5th & Folsom and 4th & Folsom
Los Angeles, California
“Great cocktails . . .”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

. . and more. The bar is long and sleek and the food is wonderful. It's a great place for a long, casual dinner in a cool, contemporary space. The highlight was the bacon-wrapped monk-fish!

Visited September 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Average at best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

We walked past and heard a real buzz, so decided to try the restaurant.
What a disappointment, probably the worst meal of the whole trip. It is sad when you have to say a little gem salad was the highlight of the whole meal - which was also a fairly pricey affair!
It was all average at best and the waiter was SO false, I found him irritating and he just added to our overall negative impression.
Maybe we picked a bad evening, but could not recommend it to anyone based on our experience on the 16th September.

• Visited September 2013
San Francisco
“OOO LA LA OOLA!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Loved this place. Went to lunch with my son and found everything to be spot on.

Small place with great decor. Service was awesome. Greeting was friendly, server was terrific and manager even stopped by - great touch. Food hit the mark. Reco the ribs, truffle fries, burger. Menu looked really strong with good variety leaning toward comfort food. Portions were good for value and some veggie choices too.

Anxious for next visit.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank John C
irl
“Good food but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

We ate here in July - a party of 5. The food was delicious and reasonably priced - very nice atmosphere in the restaurant and the staff were pleasant and efficient. BUT on receiving and paying for the bill we discovered we had been charged a large party gratuity of 20% - on checking the menu the large party gratuity only applied to parties of 6 or more - Mgmt were apologetic but the whole incident left ' a bitter taste'

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank larmar1
Richmond, California
“Not As Good As When They Opened...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

I remember when Oola first opened. I was so excited and hopeful. At the time, SOMA was a wasteland for mid-priced restaurants of this caliber. Back then, the food was exciting and the service stellar. Something has happened along the way...

My friend and I were seated in an almost empty restaurant on a Saturday at 6:30 pm. EMPTY usually means to me that what I order will arrive quickly. She warned me that other reviews stated the cocktails would take forever. I thought she couldn't possibly be correct. SHE WAS. We ordered two cocktails without any modification and it took what I deem as far too long for us to receive our orders. What gives? I was watching the bar. Did someone need to go out back and tap a still? Seriously. Work on the drink order speed please. Once I have my booze, you can dally a bit with the food as I have something to keep me busy...

I ordered the heirloom tomato salad. I hesitate to call this a salad. Would it kill you to give me an ENTIRE TOMATO???? I had TWO slices of a crappy "heirloom" tomato. I grow my own and I KNOW what a good heirloom tomato looks like. My dish consisted of some TINY cherry tomatoes (three?), TWO SLICES of this other thing. Come on! Cherry tomatoes are for popping in your mouth as a snack. I expect to see them added to a salad at Carrow's and the like. Needless to say, I was VERY disappointed.

My entree was the salmon. It was served on a bed of mashed potatoes. It was simply ok...The salmon seemed like it was a bit stingy on the portion side. Yes, I understand we aren't supposed to have larger than a deck of cards for our protein at any given meal, but I would rather my dining establishment NOT stick to the rule. The meal tasted like something I'd cook at home. It was very unremarkable.

For dessert, I had the brioche bread pudding. Once again, I visited Miniature World. At the bottom of a GIANT bowl was nestled the World's Smallest Bread Pudding. It was the size of a box of dental floss, to give you some scale. It was meh at best.

To be honest, there are too many other options in SOMA to waste time on Oola. Their only bonus appears to be that they are open late. Then you're stuck with what they have to offer since SF is a small town when it comes to late dining.

• Visited July 2013