“Excellent Italian in SOMA”
Review of Rocco's Cafe

Rocco's Cafe
Ranked #217 of 5,946 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian, Cafe
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: between 7th & 8th Sts.
Transit: Three blocks south from Civic Center BART station and Muni Station. #19 Muni Bus stops at 7th and Folsom inbound and 8th and Folsom outbound. #12 Muni Bus stops at 7th and Folsom #27 Muni Bus stops at 7th and Harrison (one block south)
Description: Rocco's Cafe was founded in 1990 by Don Dial, in honor of his Grandfather Rocco who operated a restaurant in SF's Excelsior District for over 60 years. We are dedicated to our craft and have been serving high quality food for almost 30 years! Our menu offers traditional Italian / American dishes, and Don serves over 200 daily rotating specials. We've appeared on over 10 television shows like Diners Drive-ins & Dives and more! Check us out today and we promise you'll leave our restaurant full & with a smile on your face.
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Been to Rocco's many times for lunch and always get terrific service and get delicious, fresh Italian food. (And there burgers are pretty terrific too!. The one with blue cheese is really great and the French fries are crunchy on the outside and hot and tender on the inside.) But I digress...the Italian food is great. There pesto sauce is terrific and I love it over the penne pasta.

My friend always gets the polenta with meat sauce over the top and he rarely veers from this meal he loves it so much. Occasionally I splurge at lunch and have the
Rocco’s Traditional Garlic Rosemary Roast Pork w/ Au Jus...and I don't eat for two days after. Really nice, tender pork roast, and the jus is wonderful. (Really good for dipping your bread in....)

They have an open kitchen and everything is cooked right in front of you...Chef Don, when he's there, always moves around the dining room checking on patrons and their dining experience. Not too many places where you get that level of attention! Very nice.

Overall, a really nice lunch experience. One of these days I need to get there for dinner!

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I sat at the bar and watched chef Don (double D) and his team crank out the lunches. Everyone has a set of tasks. Don orchestrates, encouraging, making sure it is right, and still doing cooking as well.
Had the baked manicotta with tomato sauce. On the side was brocolli, zucchini and carrot in a pesto sauce. Outstanding!

Even though I was at the counter, my server took excellent care of me.

The restaurant is not in the tourist areas, so prices are more reasonable.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I look for Diner & Dive restaurants when I travel ... this place was absolutely AMAZING!!! Not only a nostalgic atmosphere, but the food ... OMG!!! Top of the line!!!! Some people may say it's pricey, but c'mon ... HOME MADE EVERYTHING??? YES! YES! AND YES!!! I soaked this place up like a sponge and was extremely satisfied with everything I ate ... if you go, you MUST MUST MUST get the salad with their homemade balsamic Italian dressing!! I had the spinach ravioli with alfredo sauce and meatballs ... ordered "gravy" (aka: spaghetti sauce/marinara) on the side ... loved every single bite!!!! DO NOT ... I repeat ... DO NOT hesitate this place!!! I saw a review of this place on YouTube and little did he know, but I got to see "Double D" ... he was super!!! I took lots of pics and didn't want to leave!!! No need for an appetizer y'all ... just go HUNGRY!!! You will not be disappointed!!! That's right ... I said y'all ... I'm from the East Coast ... this was truly an amazing experience!! SO GLAD I WENT!!!!

1  Thank April W
Reviewed September 21, 2013

A cracking little find, doesn't look much from the outside but a warm welcome awaits. I sat at the counter and saw the food being prepared and cooked. Had the chicken masala with some beautiful vegetables, tasted lovely. Attentive service with a smile, well done

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We chose Rocco's for a late breakfast after seeing so many great reviews. We ended up choosing lunch items upon their recommendation. The chicken marsala was delicious and my husband loved the seafood pasta. Friendly staff. We would definitely visit again! The only trouble we ran into was walking there. It was our first time in San Fran and we were walking from Hotel Palomar and ended up walking through a pretty sketchy area. If you are a tourist, just be aware of the streets your are taking.

1  Thank Dannelle S