“Good Dim Sum but not as cheap depending on what you order”

New Asia Restaurant
Ranked #3,549 of 5,861 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed August 30, 2013

If you are looking for good dim sum then it is the place. We picked this place as it was quite large with many food choices. My partner speaks Cantonese so it helped when ordering but you can just point when the cart comes by if you can't speak the language.

The bathrooms were kind of nasty and the whole place could use a cleaning but that is chinatown (same in NYC).

This is the place I am sure most people hold their wedding banquets. It is that large.

I would recommend it.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Was invited by a friend for lunch and I was quite amazed to see so many tables and people;mainly Chinese customers.How to proceed : you approach the lady at the desk and give the numbers of customers she then give you a number and you have to wait to be called. Waiting times was 10 mns approx.Then you are directed to a table and given a card by a waiter. They come through with a trolley and all sorts of Dim Sum +noodles+rice and fish and meat and desserts.You tell them what you want and they stamp your card.They can be a bit pushy so you have to let them know you are fine. 1 box of Dim Sum comes with 4 or 6 pieces and they are quite large. The place is quite noisy and tired and would need a make over+ large cleaning.Would I eat there again : not sure but it was fun.
Anyway for 2 people we only paid 16 USD so it s really cheap.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

This is the largest Chinese restaurant in Chinatown. And I think one of the best, certainly for dim sum.

It is a simple unadorned barn of a place with loads of tables all squeezed tightly together

Despite its size it is often packed at lunchtime and you may well have to wait.

And once you get seated all looks chaotic and rushed. And the noise level is high as the restaurant is normally full of Asians all conversing loudly across tables and the room and there seems to be no sound deadening material in the room at all

No sooner are you sitting down than the carts with the dim sum on start arriving . And at the same time armies of waiters bring round examples of specific plates they encourage you to order. you can of course order off the menu if you want but most people I saw were just choosing from the carts

There are two reasons of course why this restaurant is always packed .Firstly the food. The dim sum we had was beautifully cooked. Full of interesting, though often quite subtle flavours.

And secondly the price. We paid just under 20 dollars including service and tax for four different dim sum and a large pot of tea for the two of us.

No wonder it is a tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Dim sum haven for natives but quality is average compared to even take out joints. Staff is friendly but service is haphazard. Very liberal use of MSG here - beware if one is hypersensitive.

1  Thank CulturedBacillis
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Looking for Y Ben House which was a gem we hit 2 years ago (but closed down), we moved on to New Asia. This place is packed with Chinese which for us is an indicator of the food.
We noticed that some other foreigners had also found this place but we were app. 5% of all eaters.
And that's good.

We were very satisfied with the Dim Sum we chose. All flavourfull and well prepared. 2 small things bothered me: the duck had very little meat, mostly fat and the green vegetables we took were $8. That much for the greens is way too much. As I do prepare them myself at home I know what the price on the market is and was confirmed when we walked back to the hotel. The do about $1,50 outside the restaurant.
I don't mind paying formy food but this was out of proportion, also compared to the prices of the other dim sum.

Anyways we still loved the food and the bill came at just under 60 dollar for 4 people and we took some leftovers home.

We will go again as we love dim sum.

By the way the chinese service you get is no different than that in Singapore, Hong Kong or Bejing in this kind of restaurant. Don't be surprised or offended it's just the way it is (supposed to be).