“A consistently good dim sum experience”

New Asia Restaurant
Ranked #2,442 of 5,834 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My family and I have frequented this extremely busy, face-paced restaurant numerous times - we come only for the dim sum. They do provide a very wide variety of dishes in the typical manner: a bunch of Chinese women push them around on carts, calling out the types of foods they have. Very few people here speak English (it is after all, in the heart of Chinatown), but you don't need to know Mandarin to eat here. Simply point to whatever looks appetizing and the woman pushing the cart will deliver it to your table and stamp your check. At the end, a waiter will come by and add up the number of stamps and provide you with a final bill. Use a little bit of caution here: eating dim sum can be like eating sushi and run you a high bill if you're not careful.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

We were craving dim sum for lunch, and this place fit the bill perfectly. We had tried a few holes in the wall throughout Chinatown on previous trips, and were disappointed, but this place was great!! The fact that it was filled with locals was a good sign. We were turned off by the 20 minute expected wait, but spent the time shopping across the street. We returned to the restaurant a little late and found that our number had already been called, but the hostess was surprisingly cordial and said she would seat us next, which only took about a minute. My wife and I were escorted to a round table big enough for at least 8 people, so we fully expected to be sharing it with another party, but that didn't happen, even though the table next to us had a family of 12!!

The food all looked delicious, and because we were hungry, we ended up ordering too much, but it all tasted great, and satisfied our craving. The dim sum is brought around on carts, so you can see what they have and decide if you want to try it. You can also order off the regular menu, for things like noodles, duck, and chicken. As with all Chinese restaurants, especially busy ones, cleanliness isn't their strong suit, so don't be surprised if the table, chairs, or even the table cloth aren't sparkling clean. Customer service isn't a priority either, but having grown up frequenting chinese restaurants, it all adds to the ambiance and experience for us. It's all about the food, and we left fully satisfied.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

First time in San Francisco, and my wife and I wanted to eat Dim Sum in China Town. The clerk in the Wok Shop suggested New Asia Restaurant. She said she didn't like fancy restaurants, and this place was a "hole in the wall", but the food was good.

When we got there we saw that, if it was a hole in the wall, it was a really big hole. The place is huge. Going in we really didn't know what to do. There was no host or hostess to greet us, just a lot of people sitting on benches. So we sat. Pretty soon the lady sitting next to us felt sorry for this old haole man and told us we needed to get a number. She pointed to a lady standing down stairs in a pit area doing ten things at once. One of the things she was doing was giving out a paper with numbers. Ours was 79 and was eventually called, first in Chinese then English, so listen closely.

When I heard my number, I rushed to the pit and gave her the paper with my number. She took the number, turned her back, and went back to the other things she was doing. So what do we do now? Then we noticed, about 30 yards away, a man waving a red paper madly at us and pointing to an empty table.

When we sat down, they brought us a really big pot of green tea. Then we noticed staff pushing carts full of different types of dim sum. Mostly everyone around us appeared to be ethnically Chinese so I watched how they worked it. It's easy, just point to what looks good and the server puts it on your table, then stamps a paper on your table. We had pork hash, an onion pancake, and char sui bow. All delicious. I noticed that the neighbor table had crispy duck. I found a server who spoke some English, asked for duck, thinking it would be like my neighbors. He brought us a plate of fatty cold duck. Being a little disappointed, but not knowing how to argue in Chinese, we decided to try it. After one bite, I knew it was going to be a Lipitor night. It was the best tasting duck we have ever eaten. I have no idea what it is called, but I hope to get again somewhere. We finished off with a huge plate of gai lan.

Total cost was about $27.00. We were never rushed. We noticed the non-Chinese patrons would come in, eat and leave. While the Chinese customers would stay, sip tea and take their time. This was a different, but enjoyable dining experience which will stay in my memory for a long time.

1  Thank Uncle G
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We visited this dim sum spot, excorted by a local Chinese friend, who attested to the place's authenticity. If that weren't enough, the fact the the clientele was pretty much 98% Chinese was a good testament. It helps, but isn't absolutely necessary, to have a Cantonese speaker along.
The place was a madhouse, typical of dim sum. A very large, very noisy dining room, with carts pushed by servers who will deposit the little (or not so little ) morsels on request. Non-tea drinks are limited (three beers, one of which was Bud Lite, which I don't consider beer), but tea is the best with dim sum.
We went through various concoctions, some better than others, and ended with Durian. Yes, Durian, that weirdly-shaped fruit that smells so bad that it's banned on most public tranportation in Asia. But it's supposed to taste good, so I tried it. Encased in pastry, if you sniffed it, you got the full, thousand-and-one dirty tennis shoe nose. But if you got it to your mouth without inhaling, it was really tasty-rather like an apple custard in taste and texture. I know, it's counterintuitive...taste and smell are supposed to work together, but this is the only way to do durian. It was loads of fun, and I'd definitely return.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Got taken here by some friends. This place was disgusting. They turn a very high volume and do a very poor job of cleaning tables between patrons. Soaked tablecloth? Just cover it with some paper place mats. Couldn't be bothered to clean the lazy susan at all. It was encrusted with food and who knows what else.

Glasses and tableware weren't particularly clean either.

The floor of the men's room was soaking wet allowing people to more easily pick up and track thing into the restaurant.

I also witnessed a food-handling employee use the restroom and not wash his hands before returning to work.

I've seen far cleaner places in the middle of nowhere in the 3rd world. The food was also not particularly good.

GO ELSEWHERE.