“Evening in Chinatown ”

Cuisines: Chinese
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed May 18, 2018 via mobile

Hidden below the walkway we found this hidden beaut.
So lush, food was amazing so tasty.
We had veggie spring rolls, veggie chow main , veggie rice.
Place was rammed with locals which spoke volumes.
Simple tasty chinese food 5 star for price , taste and service.

Reviewed February 22, 2018 via mobile

Ate in February 2018 with three of my teaching colleagues. It was the day after the Lunar New Year and wow what an experience. It was like stepping back into time and I honestly enjoyed sitting next to the fish tank and watching the crab swim around. I had an almond chicken dish with Chinese vegetables. Food was excellent service just fine. Also entertained by the loud and numerous fireworks going off just outside the door. If you want to experience some authentic culture in Chinatown this is a nice little spot.

1  Thank scooterwa2
Reviewed January 25, 2018

When I lived in San Francisco in the 1970s, the Woey Loy Goey was my second favorite Chinese restaurant. My first favorite, the Universal Cafe, closed years ago, but the Woey Loy Goey is still there and still good. I was delighted to find it with the same huge menu and the same lack of style. Love it! I had the shrimp with lobster sauce and my partner had a whole flounder. Tasty and inexpensive. That's why it's been around all this time!

Reviewed January 20, 2018 via mobile

We had a nice meal here. The food felt fresh and had a good balance of flavour. The decor and menu doesn’t look to have changed since the early 80’s but this seemed to add to the charm.

Reviewed January 18, 2018

Was a luncheon guest at New Woey Loy Goey hosted by a Chinese friend. This restaurant has been a family favorite because of the well prepared and authentic Chinese menu offerings. One will find more than the usual Americanized food on menus in most Chinese restaurants.

Our party of thirteen people was treated to platters of food that I had certainly not seen before, or at least prepared as they are at Woey Loy Goey. One after one a beautifully arranged platter of eye appealing fare kept replacing almost bare platters from the table. What a wonderful culinary experience it was.

We were served Salt and Pepper Calamari with dipping sauces, Jellyfish with Chinese sliced meat cold cuts (DELICIOUS...with the taste of crunchy cole slaw) ,Steamed Whole Fish..(Simple and wonderfully fresh), Seafood soup, Shrimp and Scallops with Snowpeas, Peking Duck..(the best I've eaten), Stuffed whole Chicken with Sticky Rice..(Wonderful!), Lobster, a Medley of Mushrooms and Chinese Greens...(most unfamiliar to me, but delicious), Pork cutlets with a sweet vinegar sauce....WOW!

This small restaurant located located a few steps below street level is crowed with tables and frequented mostly by locals and "those in the know". Not fancy at all, but one can imagine this place being here for many years. Wonderful friendly and polite service.

My only complaint is that the restrooms are third world, tiny, cluttered, messy and uncomfortable; best attitude is to "get over it" and go with the flow.

So if you are adventurous and enjoy a different Chinese eating experience than you would find at your local neighborhood Chinese restaurant, then Hoey Loy Goes is a great choice.