“Authentic Chinese Cuisine”

Cuisines: Chinese
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed March 24, 2013

When I told my cab driver to take me to the Capital Restaurant he assumed I lived in San Francisco. That's because this restaurant is frequented by locales and is one of San Francisco's best kept secrets. When you enter, no it's not friendly, but if you want authentic Chinese food then you've come to the right place. We went for lunch and it was super crowded. And everyone, except my family and I, were of Asian decent. The cab driver recommended salt and pepper chicken wings so we ordered those along with spring rolls, curry chicken and a noodle dish. The chicken wings had to be among the simplest I've ever had but they were delicious. Actually, they would have been worth the drive alone. The chicken curry was on the mild side. It indicated that it was spicy but not to my liking and the noodle dish and spring rolls were quite good. Overall, it was some of the better Chinese food I've had. All of the dishes looked amazing and enough food was served to take leftovers back to our hotel. The food was reasonably priced and each meal could easily feed two to three individuals. If you're spending time in Chinatown, stop by and enjoy an authentic meal.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Would I go back? Maybe.

The food was average and the service was not so great. I walked in and no one greeted me or indicated that I was to wait to be seated. I wondered through the restaurant before being told that I would need to at one of the smaller tables at the front. It took several minutes for a menu to be produced and then several more minutes for me to place my food and drink order. The wait from order to food was okay but I could not help but notice that others in the restaurant (possibly regulars?) were receiving much more attentive and prompt service.

I ordered General's Chicken, my favorite dish when eating Chinese. It was only okay and on par with other places I have tried. It was not that spicy and the taste was dominated by salt rather than the full flavor of the onions and peppers that usually dominate the flavor. The rice was basic white and steamed. No different than what I can fix at home.

Lastly, you need to be aware that this is a cash only place.

Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

We ate here based on other Trip Advisor reviews and we weren't disappointed. The food is crazy good. The salt & pepper wings were as delicious as everyone said they were. The honey walnut prawns were out of this world. Even the chicken chiw mein, a seemingly simple dish, was better than I've ever tasted. The only ding I'd give the place is that the staff wasnt super friendly. Not rude or unfriendly. Just busy and going through the motions. But service was quick and the quality of the food made up for the rest.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Everyone that works on my floor has been to this restaurant once. I've been here many times, and usually I bring visitors to the area to this restaurant if they want to eat Chinese food in Chinatown. We love, love, LOVE the chicken wings. When I brought a friend of mine to try the chicken wings for the first time, she loved them so much she wouldn't even speak. After eating 8 of them, she told me they reminded her of the chicken her Grandmother would make, it tasted so fresh. We like the Fried Tofu, too! We usually order the pea shoots with garlic. My husband likes the sweet and sour pork. There is something for everyone here!

They only take cash, so be aware of this before you go. When you pay at the register, look on the post near the register for Will Smith's picture. I understand he ate there when filming "Pursuit of Happyness".

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We always eat at Capital restaurant when in San Francisco, sometimes several days in a row. It is that good! I think it is the most authentic chinese food in Chinatown. The honey walnut shrimp is to die for. Everything on the menu is delicious. It is a no frills restaurant with excellent food at a great price. I will be back in SF in April and this will be my first stop!