“Want to eat where the locals eat? Excellent food and atmosphere”
Review of Capital Restaurant

Capital Restaurant
Ranked #546 of 5,866 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Chinese
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Not your white table cloth restaurant but wonderful food at a very good price. Would like to go back many times to try all the different dishes. Fast service, friendly and funny staff! My husband and I tried one of the menus with several different dishes so we would be able to sample many things. The plates never stopped coming, soup, shrimp appetizer, beef with vegetables, fried rice, barbeque ribs, pork with rice noodles.........$30 for two and enough food for 4. We watched many locals around us eating wonderful plates of steamed greens, rice bowls and sauteed meat dishes. Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Passed by by coincidence one day at our visit to San Francisco. Saw it was full, but not by tourists - by local Chineese. Went there for dinner later - what a pleasent surprice. The Chineese food was great. Having been in China +40 times this was truely great. The service was honest and true. The decor is just as real as the food - Neon light bulps.- And the bill - the lowest we ever got in San Francisco.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Loved the salt and pepper chicken wings and the b-b-q pork wonton soup. Next visit I would order the soup with no noodles just the wontons, pork and broth. My husband had the oysters clay pot..He thought it was good- I couldn't get past the texture- but then again the texture of oysters is weird to begin with.lol. We had 2 Tsingtao beers along with our meal- the server helped me pronounce the name of this beer with out grimacing at me- and for that she got a great tip!

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Read a good review on Yelp and then was also referred here by a salesgirl in a shop nearby, and I am so glad we went! The food was excellent, abundant, and we all left completely stuffed and wishing we had room for more! As another reviewer noted, it was packed with Chinese customers. I had the fish clay pot soup and it was amazing. Everything tasted fresh and wonderful, and 5 of us (3 kids, 2 adults) ate for under $50!!

You might want to skip a trip to the restroom if seeing your food raw will freak you out.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

Our hotel was nearby and Capital popped up on our TA search for area restaurants. Since we wanted to explore Chinatown as well, this was the perfect solution for dinner. We arrived at about 6:30 on a Sunday evening and the place was packed with many local Chinese patrons - a good sign. We were promptly seated and began with the recommended chicken wings. They were just about the best we've had- the perfect amount of crispiness, salt and heat from the peppers and scallions. Our family fought over getting an equal amount of wings. For entrees, I ordered a shrimp dish, my daughter ordered orange chicken and my husband got sweet and sour pork. The shrimp were very fresh, although I didn't really care for the accompanying vegetables. The orange chicken was delicious and I ended up eating several pieces of my daughter's entree.

Later in the week we went back for dinner (and the wings) sharing said wings, green beans (fantastic), salt and pepper shrimp (as good as the wings), and orange chicken. This was plenty of food and unless you have a HUGE stomach, I recommend sharing entrees .

The only reason I give Capital 4 out of 5 is because of the service. While the hostess was very friendly, the servers we had were a bit surly (and we repeatedly had to ask for water), perhaps because they seemed short-staffed. But, we were there for the food and would happily go back again.