“Seafood Yes : Pasta No”

Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Description: The freshest and most delicious seafood can always be found at Sabella & La Torre. What started as a crab stand is now everyones favorite seafood restaurant!
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Initially I waffled between a 3 and 4 rating because restaurant delivers what it claims; nothing fancy- just medium priced hefty seafood meals. It is more sit down, have a drink, order, and chow down. By the next day, I waffled between 2 and 3 because one of the 6 of us got very ill overnight.
We shared fried calamari which has a nice light coating and large pieces, although a little chewy. The seafood dishes were good - several of us had the special garlic crab and shrimp which was kind of thrown on the plate but still flavorful. The shrimp were average but the crab was moist and meaty and easy to pull from the already split open shells - although it was a bit too salty. The sides of rice and broccoli were good. All the meals came with a cup of soup or salad, and I found the chowder a little thick and uninspired (little taste). Those who had the salads enjoyed them. One person had the crabcakes which were tasty but thin with finely shredded meat rather than nice fresh chunky crab. The person who fell ill had the linguini with crab and white sauce. I noticed it looked a little soupy and unappealing but he said it tasted ok (on the way down). So, would I go back? Probably not- but if I did, I would stick to the crab and stay away from the pasta dishes.

There are newer reviews for Sabella & La Torre

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We visited for an early dinner on a Monday in April. Business was steady but we were seated immediately. The entrance to this place is a little hard to see. It looks like there is just a street side stand there, but if you walk between the stands you get to the actual entrance to the restaurant. No view here but the atmosphere was ok and the seating was comfortable. The customer service was excellent. The food was good, cooked to order correctly and arrived hot. They were able to accomodate one of our party that has food allergies. I got the chowder with a half crab sandwich which was a generous serving for a decent price considering the locale. I would recommend this restaurant for a nice meal and a comfortable place to relax awhile after a day of walking around San Francisco.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Sat at the bar by myself, had a shrimp salad, and mixed fish grill - both tasty - good service by well experienced barkeeper... A pleasant experience. Would go again. Recommend it for local flavor, and tasty food, and attentive service.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

It was difficult to choose between the many Wharf restaurants. I wanted to eat from a crab stand but my kids insisted we go in and sit down. So, Sabella & Latorre it was. The food is excellent! One son and I shared a whole crab which was the best I've ever had. Tasted like it was harvested that day! My other son had the mussels bordelaise and my daughter had the fish and chips. All excellent. Anchor Steam on draft for mom. It is a small place and was very crowded due to it being spring break for many folks. I would definately eat here again.

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

We sat at the bar and set about drinking some cold coronas. Mike the bar keep kept us suitably topped up throughout the afternoon.
The crab sandwich and chowder was very good but not the best we'd had.
The sourdough was great.
Also Mike's oyster shooters are well worth a try. He only uses freshly shucked oysters I witnessed them being opened!
Be careful when using the restroom as the floor is extremely slippery. When the restaurant is busy, they should clean the restroom more frequently as I found it quite messy and smelly.