“Value based dim sum...there are better places but I needed a quick feeding”

Chinatown Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Chinatown Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4,121 of 5,866 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed May 27, 2013

There are better places for dim sum in Chinatown in San Francisco...but I needed a quick feeding and could be seated quickly.

I went with the dim sum sampler...har gow, BBQ pork buns, spring rolls, potstickers, chicken skewers. A good deal all for less than $20.00.

Two cautionary items:

The dining area of the restaurant is on the second floor and therefore you have to climb a steep set of stairs. This is standard of the old school Chinese restaurants in any major city. Of course the drawback is if one is physically disabled or cannot climb stairs easily.

Beverages: This restaurant charges for standard tea. Other restaurants do not charge for tea. This one charges $2 per person. Therefore you might as well order a bottle of beer for $4.

Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

To start off i ordered a beer and it was warm so i ask the waitess for a cold beer and she said i bring you "ice" wow beer with ice so i went a long with it and then we ordered My prder came out first then they brought out my wifes order and it was was wrong 20 mins go by and my wife tells the waitess to cancell her order because it was pointless So they come back with her food and we said no we dont want to take it away it cost 25 for a orange chick and side of rice 1 ice beer lol and tea this place is bad stay away

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Not sure who of our party got snapped up and lured in, but it sure as hell wasn't me. The food was not bad in the end, although unless you are fluent in Chinese, you will probably have a hard time ordering your food and communicating anything to any of the staff. Three waitresses actually fled in panic when asked about anything more complex than a rice order (explaining egg fried rice also took twenty minutes and three botched attempts, go figure).
Short version: search around, there must be better places to eat in Chinatown!

Reviewed May 17, 2013

The restaurant in China Town I wanted to eat at was closed the week we were there. After walking around looking for a restaurant, we were lured into the Chinatown Restaurant by a coupon that offered free pot stickers and ice cream if you ordered 2 entrees. No rice came with the entrees so you had to order it ala carte. A bottle of Tsing Tao was $5. They add the tip to your bill in indecipherable writing. We paid $49 for lunch for 2 with only 1 beer. My wife barely touched her food. It just wasn't very good although there was a lot of it. We got shanghaied.

1  Thank Frankolino1313
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Our experience at Chinatown Restaurant was so unpleasant it was almost laughable. First they tried to seat us by the door of the kitchen, when the restaurant was nearly empty. Our server kept going in and out to the balcony and slammed the door every time. He was rude, unsmiling, and acted like he didn't care whether we were there or not. A woman sat down at a table next to us and proceeded to have several LOUD cell phone calls. Maybe she thought it didn't matter since she was speaking Chinese and we wouldn't understand?! Well, turns out she was the restaurant's owner! We ordered a "combination" dinner and the food was cold. We also ordered one additional entrée. It didn't arrive with the rest of the food (which all came out piece meal) so we figured they forgot it. Well just as we were getting ready to leave, the extra entrée arrived. No apology. So all we could do was package it up and take it with us. Too bad, it was the only hot item we received. I am still beating myself up that I left a tip.

1  Thank mtngranny