“Nice and authentic”

Cuisines: American, Cafe
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Had the hot pot with 3 broths plus bak choi, lamb and beef. We also had noodles and ma po tofu to share. Plenty Of food and Excellent.

Those giving this place 1 stars seem to be expecting Americanized Chinese food: the one star reviewer who was complaining about his general Tso's chicken convinced us to go here... Glad we did!

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We went here because my wife struck up a conversation with the cute little Chinese girl that everyone was ignoring on the street corner trying to pass out menus. My wife felt sorry for her so we went. Sooo glad we did. This is an authentic Chinese place with a good mix of 'Americanized Chinese' food to make it acceptable to the western palate. If you want chicken feet and duck bill or a hot pot, they have that too.
Had the best Hot and Sour Soup I've ever tasted here. Every thing else was excellent also. Nice upper end / hole-in-the-wall atmosphere. I know that doesn't make sense but you'll see. I don't know how else to describe it. They have really made a nice atmosphere in a little hole-in-the-wall space.

1  Thank tripjunky
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I ate here for lunch while I was touring Chinatown. I ordered the Kung Pao tofu and hot and sour soup. It was so hot and spicy that my eyes watered the whole time. But once my taste buds calmed down I realized just how great the food was, and not very expensive. I went back for dinner a few days later and the place was very crowded, so I sat at the bar. I ordered the same thing. The service was slow, the soup was luke warm, and they ran out of tea pots. So I guess the lesson is go during lunch.

Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

We found this place by accident, and we were pleasantly surprised with how great it was. Terrific food, reasonable prices. And as we were here early in the evening, the service was actually pretty good. We ordered the Mandarin dinner too, and liked everything. Next time we are in San Francisco we will make a point to come back here.

Reviewed May 31, 2012

What really turned us off was the poor service. Most aspects of their service were slow and inattentive. Slow to seat us, and slow to provide menus and water. Our server was angered by our polite questions about menu items. I ordered Gen. Tsao's chicken, straight off the menu with a photo of the dish. The photo of course was beautiful with chicken ringed by steamed broccoli. I know the real thing won't look quite as pretty, but it was delivered without the broccoli. I asked the server what happend to the broccoli. She irritatedly waved me off saying, "Doesn't come with broccoli !" When I went to pay, I asked again why no broccoli and the two ladies were angry and said, "No broccoli !" I said the photo in the menu shows broccoli. I gave up. I put my cash on the counter to pay and the server pounded her finger on the counter and said, "you pay 15% tip also!" Shocked, I said the service was poor. She repeated, "you owe 15% tip." I wondered what planet I had been taken to. I caved in and gave them the cash just to be done with them. The food, I can say it was average, barely. Not what I would expect in San Francisco's Chinatown. Don't be fooled by the Asian faces dining there, you can do much better than Uncle's, please save yourself the exasperation we experienced.