“One of the city best night clubs”
Review of Ruby Skye

Ruby Skye
Ranked #37 of 337 Nightlife in San Francisco
Reviewed October 11, 2010

This is a high-end outlet located in the very heart of the downtown, close to the Union Square. The building where it is situated is a historic landmark - it was built in the end of 19th century and for many years has been a theatre. You can see this even today - the heavy Victorian style of the interior has been restored to great extent, the club has two levels and several areas of entertainment that could accomodate around 1000 visitors. The two bars are offering all types of alcohol and 4 types of draught beer (including Foster's and Pilsner Urquel), the bar staff is not very kind to the guests though. A lot of famous Djs visited and visit this place (Paul Van Dyk, Josh Wink, Tiesto and Sandy Rivera to name a few), but don't expect anything super extraordinary - it is just a good club with great location. The stamp system works in this outlet, you can go out and come back without any problems, I haven't witnessed getting in to be a problem as well since all the times when I have visited it the club was never too crowded. Prices for entrance and drinks are expensive, but this was communicated already by other members.

6  Thank Wolfchild

Reviewed October 10, 2010

My fiance and I traveled from Huntington Beach to San Francisco to see Marco V spin at Ruby Skye on Friday, October 8th. Totally worth the long drive!
The sound system was incredible! We both forgot our ear plugs at home...at first I was a bit worried because I already have tinnitus, but because the sound quality was so great I didn't have a problem afterwards.
The club was super spacious with high ceilings. We were the first people inside the club so we roamed around a bit to check the place out. The balcony was awesome with a great view.
We're the biggest Marco V fans EVER so we were in front of the stage the entire time.
The decor was old Victorian and set a great mood for its guests.
The only problems my fiance and I found were how lazy the security was and how amateur the dancers were.
On several occasions, drunk people were seen on the stage behind the booth. At one point while Dirty Hertz was spinning, he had to tell these two guys to get off and leave the stage because they were pretending to use his decks. Also, while Marco V was spinning, somehow these two drunkards wound up on stage with bongos and were banging away. It took a while for security to escort them off stage but they didn't fix the problem. These guys were then standing directly behind me and my fiance, banging away on these bongos, and totally throwing off the beat of the music. You could clearly see Marco's level of annoyance and frustration. It seemed to take security a great deal of time to get rid of the bongos. Why on Earth were bongos let into the club in the first place?
Aside from the poor security and lousy dancers, our overall experience at Ruby Skye was excellent! We will definitely be coming back.

2  Thank radiohigh
Reviewed June 13, 2008

I have been to Ruby Skye several times and becoming more and more of a fan each time i go.

The venue:
It's incredible, it might have been a former play theatre. The ceilings are very high and there are 2 floors. The first floor consists of the elevate stage where the DJ and performers dance. The dance floor is right next to that, and is surrounded by 1 bar on both sides. At the back there are some VIP sofas. The second floor overlooks the first so you can watch people dancing crazily. The second floor consists of VIP booths and suites along with another bar. There's also a smaller dance floor in the middle. In the back there is a "jungle room" where people are allowed to smoke. This room has a pool table and will fit 50 people, it also plays hip hop; it's a chilling area for those who don't mind the smoke.

The music:
House! The main floor almost always plays house music (related to techno, but not as fast and crazy). Think of house as upbeat remixes to your favorite hip hop songs. It's feel good music, there's no moshing, there's no west side gang signs being flashed, it's music that you can jump up and down to and enjoy. Check out dj tiesto for a taste of the music atmosphere.

The crowd and atmosphere:
Everytime I've been there i've met people from around the world. I can almost guarentee that if you talk to 10 people a couple of them are from europe, which always makes for interesting conversation. It's mostly young people (21-27), but i have seen some older people (cougars mostly ;) Overall, everyone is there to have fun. There are no thugs or mean people in general, they seem layed back. The ladies are usually not just there to be eye candy. You can usually approach and talk, but grabbing them won't work. This is a semi classy place, people dress trendy upscale. The girls can be approached by trendy guys looking to converse and have a good time, not by guying just looking to freak up on any girl.

The drinks:
Standard hard alcohol drinks are served. I guess you can get beer too. But the atmosphere feels like it's time to get crazy, not lay back and chill, so down a couple shots of grey goose. It's moderately expensive, what place isn't? if you're that worried about drink costs then preparty before coming thru.

Cover:
It's 20 bucks to get in for normal nights. Some nights they have big name djs playing so you'll have to get preorder tix. The lines usually start at 11, the club is usually open till 4am, drinks stop getting served at 2am. VIP booths are a pretty good deal if you got lots of people in your group. In fact I have 2 VIP booths for this saturday, june 14, feel free to say what's up!

Summary:
Come by if you want to have a good time, dance up a storm, and meet new people. Get ready to spend some money, you only live once...

4  Thank rlilckret
Reviewed June 1, 2008

First of all never arrive before eleven at the earliest. Should you do so head up to the "smoking lounge" and play a little pool with your martini and you'll set the evening. If you don't have a glow stick pick one up from the "cigarette girl", it shall make the night more fun believe me; even if you are hit up from time to time by people who think you have drugs. It's a hilarious venue with great guest DJ's and pretty cool dancers. One of the best things about the club is their little stamp system which actually works when getting in and out and in again. My friends and I showed up early, got stamped, hung out for a bit, blew out and grabbed something to eat, then headed back and danced the night away. I had only one martini so I was sober enough to cheque things out and have a good time in the process. The music rocked later in the evening. VIP wasn't worth it; but everything else pretty much was. We were all dressed up a little for California clubbing but it was all good. Liked the general vibe, and the laudible amusement of it all. 55 Natoma is my personal favourite though in comparison.

1  Thank sublimelyhappy
Reviewed May 6, 2007

I'm 25 and my hubby is 28, and we had a great time here. We just visited on Saturday, May 5 and the headliner was my husband's fav DJ, Bad Boy Bill. ALERT: This is a TECHNO/ HOUSE/ TRANCE music based club! Only every now and then is there a hip-hop/ top 40-like performance, so DON'T come here if that's what you're looking for! This club hosts huge DJ's from around the world almost every weekend.

I'm originally from Las Vegas, another mecca of super clubs and expensive nightlife, and you should ALWAYS plan your mega club adventure as early as possible. BUY TICKETS IN ADVANCE! Do not pay the extremely high cover charge at the door. We paid $15 each on tickets.com about 3 weeks before this event. Very moderately priced for such a big DJ. A better idea is to get a group of 6-10 people together and get a table. I looked on the website and it's only $390 for a Saturday and includes 1 bottle of alcohol and mixers with waitress tip included, and 6 free admissions with "skip the line" privelages. So you're each only paying about $40-$60 each, which you would pay anyways, even if you weren't VIP!

We arrived at the club around 11:10pm and the there were 2 lines, general admission and will call. General admission was only a little bit longer than the will call line that we were in. It only took us about 10 minutes to get in to the club. Upon entering the club, I thought it was a bit small unitl I realized there is a second floor overlooking the dancefloor. I situated myself right in front of the DJ booth while my husband went to obtain the drinks. We were pleasantly surprised at the drink prices, we got a water and 2 mixed drinks for $19 (around $6 each, not bad!). In Vegas, I'm used to paying $10-$12 a drink! The drinks were small but POTENT; we only drank 2 each while we were there and I was pleasantly buzzed. My favorite features of the club were the Cirque De Soleil-esque ladies that did amazing acrobatic feats onstage as well as the cold air that blasted from the whole front of the stage all night long and kept the club at a manageable dancing temperature. Ladies - I think I only waited a max of 10 minutes all night long to go to the bathroom, so not too shabby. Yes, the club was crowded, but what mega-club isn't?

All in all, this was a very fun event for us and I can't really complain cuz we had a fabulous time! I would definitely go again.

1  Thank liltarap55