“Really good authentic place!”

Chung King Restaurant
Ranked #1,699 of 5,693 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Baltimore, Maryland
“Really good authentic place!”
Reviewed April 22, 2011

Hole in the Wall - Checked!
No dining ambiance - Checked!
Cramped/tight seating - Checked!
Full of local Chinese diners - Checked!
Surly and indifferent service staff - Checked!
Authentic Cantonese menu - Checked!
Special menu written only in Chinese - Checked!
Cheap, but incredibly tasty food - Checked and Checked!

Was in San Francisco on business (staying at Mark Hopkins on Nob Hill during 6/20-6/26) , so we had the opportunity to eat in Chinatown the whole week. Ended up eating at Chung King for two consecutive nights because the food was so cheap and phenomenally good. The clams in black bean sauce was great as was their kong xin cai. Their peking-style ribs was out of this world and we highly recommend the salt-and-pepper whole prawns. The only thing I would not recommend is their steamed fish. We initially ordered the whole steamed rock cod, but they were out so we got the "sea bass" instead. The fish was tiny, probably about a pound or less and may have been a tilapia instead of a bass. It came out to $28 (seasonal price) for that little fish, skip it. This was not worth the price, get something else instead.

The bathroom is located downstair in the basement through a door towards the front of the restaurant. Be warned, the stairs down is very steep. Another word of advice, be prepare to wait a bit for someone to come by to take your order as well as to bring your check. Seems like only one person does the order taking, so she will take awhile because the place will likely be packed with locals and she will tend to them first (as she should). In any case, we'll DEFINITELY be back the next time we're in San Francisco!!!!! This place is a true hidden gem for real authentic Chinese cuisine.

Get your butts to Chung King Seafood Restaurant now!

• Visited June 2010

Fort Huachuca, Arizona
“Unbelievable good!!”
Reviewed November 8, 2010

The food is the best in Chinatown and really cheap. Try the chinese broccoli with Oyster sauce!! Yummi! The staff is sometimes a bit bossy... They open 5pm. Try to go there early, later they will have a full house. Or make a reservation. Most chinese people in chinatown eat there.
It`s dificult to find a parking place there. It`s better to go by foot. :-)
But the food - OMG!!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I've lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for over 30 years and I think I've eaten in Chinatown once. I decided to...”
Reviewed March 11, 2010

I've lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for over 30 years and I think I've eaten in Chinatown once. I decided to change that at lunch today and stopped by Chung King. It wasn't a very good experience. The waitress who greeted me at the door acted as if she was doing me a favor. I didn't realize I was seated at a table directly infront of the door to the restroom until the waitress asked me to sit on the other side of the table so the door to the restroom could be opened. It's a good thing they placed me at another table. Otherwise, I would have walked out righ there and then. I should have anyways. I ordered my meal after making sure that the entree came with a bowl of rice. Of course, my meal was delivered without the bowl of rice and I was informed that it was extra. The food itself was terrible. I've had better Chinese food outside of Chinatown. I would definitely not recommend this restaurant!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
South Florida, Florida
“Clean and Competent Chinatown Restaurant”
Reviewed August 22, 2009

If you're looking for a decent, inexpensive restaurant in Chinatown, let me recommend Chung King. We didn't try anything exotic, just things like Broccoli Beef, but they did a good job with everything. There were several large Chinese families eating there, so I'm sure they also do authentic Chinese dishes. The restaurant is kept in good shape as well. (There seems to be a lot of dumpy places in Chinatown.)