“Horrendous!”

$108.95*
PIER 39 Attraction Pass
Ranked #77 of 552 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Aquarium of the Bay is located along San Francisco's walkable waterfront at PIER 39. See sharks, otters, underwater tunnels, and 20,000 other amazing animals. Please check website for early closure notifications.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Well, I wished I'd paid attention the reviews and not wasted my time or $$ at this poor excuse of an aquarium. This place is so overpriced for what they are offering, is the main problem. It's in a great location, but it does not offer enough for what you pay. It had three levels and they were all sufficient, I suppose, but nothing wows you or stands out as excellent. I kept asking the elevator attendant what other floor we would now visit and I was so surprised to find us in the same room - - meaning, in about 20 min., I'd seen the whole thing.

How disappointing - - especially, when you take your little one with you and you want to show them quality aquarium life.

All I can say is, you'll waste your money - - I did.

There are newer reviews for Aquarium of the Bay

Reviewed February 25, 2013

It's a nice enough aquarium but a lot smaller than I was expecting considering a) I was in San Francisco, a large city; b) it cost our family about $70 to get in; and c) San Francisco is right next to the Pacific Ocean. We went in, went through one small area of exhibits, went in an elevator, walked through some underwater tunnels, went into another small area of exhibits, and then boom! We were done. This took up 45 minutes; we had planned for an entire afternoon, since that's what we're used to here in Chicago when we've gone to the Shedd Aquarium. I would only recommend this if you got some sort of discounted tickets and knew that it would be a fairly quick stop and not a day-long (or even half-day-long) visit.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Ok, it's not the Monterey Bay Aquarium but we loved it. The tunnels with the fish all around you ar the best but the two touch pools were great too. Our 8-year old grand daughter had a great time from a child's perspective and we had lots of fun too. Enjoyed the jelly fish best of all the other exhibits. Look for coupons if you want to save money.

Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Having been to 6 or 7 other aquariums in other parts of the country, I expected more...water. I like the theme of "bay area marine life," and the staff was exceptional. The aquarium was part of our City Pass, which I strongly recommend.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I love to visit aquariums everywhere I go. This aquarium is so unique in that the areas for deep sea creatures is darkened and the displays are amazing. You can go at your own pace, or take the moving sidewalk thru the long glass tunnel that lets us see sea creatures as they go about their day. We're able to see the actual species that live in the bay. A really cool area is the shallow manta ray pond where you can touch them. Plenty of staff for questions. Great addition to any visit. Plus, it's on Pier 39!