“The sign's almost as big as the restaurant”

Akiko's Sushi Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #99 of 5,826 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Union Square
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I knew the place was there, but even with the large sign out front, I almost missed it. That would have been tragic. Excellent sushi and not much else in this 15 seat gem. I'd not had escollar (Hawaiian butter fish) before, but it's now one of my favorites.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I read about this on TripAdvisor and Yelp both - Great reviews from both, so I gave it a try :-)

Very fresh sushi, also a very small place, like 4 small tables, and 3 sushi bar seats...
Go during happy hour I think 5pm to 7pm - $2.50 for a small hot saki - Cannot beat it..

Good sushi portions also, no little slivers of fish here...

Ask for water and all is good....

No issues with service - very pleasant oriental waitress.

I will visit here again before I leave..

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a very small, intimate restaurant with great service and very good sushi. I loved the miso soup, the cucumber salad and the Sumo roll. Yum! And I found it on Trip Advisor, thanks reviewers!

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Three of us went to visit this restaurant on the recommendation of a friend. We shared two plates of the chef's special (spicy tuna) as recommended by the waitress. BEST SUSHI I have ever eaten. Each 16 piece plate, including a bowl of miso soup, was $8.50 - great value.
The sevice was also great, with the waitress being very helpful about a confused order.
As other reviewers have said, the place is tiny, and we did have to wait for a table, but only for 15 minutes, and it was worth the wait.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Great sushi little place.
Mind you they are supposed to have reservations but you seldom get it to work, so you end up going there and waiting in the street for a table. One of the few tables, the place is tiny. Oh, but we already knew that and still we waited, and shall wait again when we go back.
The reason we wait and keep going back? Fresh, skillfully prepared sushi. This is the kind of place you don't go to for the view, decor or even service (although the service is quite friendly and efficient). To Akiko you go simply for the food. We went to this tiny place either just the two of us or with a couple of friends and that is really the only restriction: the place being so small you'll have a very hard time seating a party of more than four.