“Rude, Rude, Rude and they don't clean their shrimp”

Mocca On Maiden Lane
Ranked #1,307 of 5,665 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian, Cafe, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout
Neighborhood: Union Square
Cambria, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rude, Rude, Rude and they don't clean their shrimp”
Reviewed March 28, 2009

They don't devein the prawns completely and the manager is very rude. In fact, I've found much of the staff to be rude. On my last visit, I ordered the tortellini salad with giant prawns. I received four prawns, two of which had giant black veins hanging from the back where only half of the vein had been opened and not removed.

Deveining large shrimp is customary at most restaurants as the vein is the intestine and not only has grit in it but also contains the last meal of the shrimp which can be questionable in source with modern farming methods.

When I asked for one of the prawns to be replaced, the staff called the manager who was extremely rude and simple said, "that's the way they come".

Yuck to the prawns and double yuck to the manager. When I commented to the help that the manager was very rude they simply said that he was the manager and always acted that way.

I wonder what he says when the chef complains about ingredients gone off? I'm done with this place after being a regular for years and years.

1 Thank Picklcat

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Fresh and delicious but...”
Reviewed September 1, 2008

Fresh and delicious but overpriced and stingy - $1 refills on tea and $.75 if you want a slice of (hard) French bread.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“think soup nazi. mean staff. impatient. nasty. snobby. even to their regulars. why bother. dont ask questions or they...”
Reviewed January 21, 2008

think soup nazi. mean staff. impatient. nasty. snobby. even to their regulars. why bother. dont ask questions or they might yell at you.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Sausalito
“Eat, run and get yelled out”
Reviewed October 25, 2007

The food was and is very good. Expensive, but good. I do not have a problem spending $50.00 for 2 sandwiches, a cheesecake and 2 beverages if the experience and the food is worth it. I brought a client for lunch we ate our sandwiches, our dessert and drank our coffee. We were there 1 and a half hours and just finishing up when the owner came to our table and told us we had been there way too long, this was not a place of business and we need to leave. He was shouting. Shocked we were as well as the tables next to us. There were empty tables inside and outside to accommodate the few people in line getting their food. I asked to speak with the owner and the same man who yelled at me said he was the owner. I mentioned I was finishing up my coffee, dessert and sandwiches. I also mentioned I spent $50.00 and he shouted even more. He told me to get out, he didn't care how much I spent and I was to leave and never come back. So, if you want to pay expensive prices a be treated in a fast food, to go like atmosphere, Mocca is a place for you. Just remember, make sure you don't chew there is no time. Lunches are limited to less than 1 hour.

2 Thank SausalitoStratia
Long Beach
“favorite lunchtime near Union Square”
Reviewed December 26, 2005

This is exactly the right kind of place for a quick but satisfying lunch stop during a shopping spree. It's on Maiden Lane, just down from Nieman-Marcus. Great Italian deli-style, including seafood salads, vegetable antipasti, sandwiches. Just be ready to order when it's your turn, or you'll have to step aside. It's open on weekends for lunch.

1 Thank mlgb1